GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Linear springs on koni coilovers

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Springs for the rear just came in and I finished the install.

In my opinion 8" front and 9" back is perfect. I'm at 25 1/4 " front and back. No visible gap but a good inch of clearance inside for the wheel.

I went with 280 lbs/inch spring rate front and back. Its really smooth. I think you could probably go 336 lbs/inch in the back without sacrificing ride quality too much.

60mm ID for the rear fit fine.

I'll probably set the rear sway on stiff to tighten up the rear a bit and balance the car out. Right now I slide on all 4 tires but its sliding more in the front than rear.

I'm headed to Laguna Seca next month so I'll report back on handling.

Last edited:

upon31

Passed Driver's Ed
In my opinion 9" front and 8" back is perfect. I'm at 25 1/4 " front and back. No visible gap but a good inch of clearance inside for the wheel.

Just to clarify, you are using Bilsteins and are using a 9" long spring in the front and 8" spring in the rear, with Ground control front camber plates? If my notes are correct, Pmanpop is using 7" front springs and 8" rear springs on the Koni shocks with the H&R top hats, so quite a difference in front spring height from Koni to Bilstein.

Would be a big help to all of us if both of you guys could post your exact ending setups with part numbers if you still have them. The Koni to Bilstein setups seem to have split apart at some point and appear to be fairly different in needs.

Excellent work, guys. Contemplating this for my Konis. :clap:

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Just to clarify, you are using Bilsteins and are using a 9" long spring in the front and 8" spring in the rear, with Ground control front camber plates? If my notes are correct, Pmanpop is using 7" front springs and 8" rear springs on the Koni shocks with the H&R top hats, so quite a difference in front spring height from Koni to Bilstein.

Would be a big help to all of us if both of you guys could post your exact ending setups with part numbers if you still have them. The Koni to Bilstein setups seem to have split apart at some point and appear to be fairly different in needs.

Excellent work, guys. Contemplating this for my Konis. :clap:

Sorry. My bad. I mixed them up. I'm 8" front 9" back (I fixed the original post). I'm running H&R street performance which are the same as the Bilstein B14.

I'm running ground control street camber plates which you need in order to fit standard ID springs into the front top mounts in the GTI. You could also try to get the adaptor plates Pmanpop used. That'd be a cheaper option and probably fine too.

I think Pmanpop wanted to go really low. There may be less room for going low on the Koni's since I still have room to go lower with the 8"/9" setup on my H&R/Bilstein dampers. I could drop another 1/2" at least, which would take me to 24 3/4" FTG. I'd say that's the main difference between our setups. I actually wanted to gain 1/2" over the H&R street performance springs to gain clearance for the track.

So my setup is:

H&R street performance coilovers ( 29014-12)
Ground control street camber plates for GTI MK6 configured for 60 mm ID springs
Swift 8" 60 mm ID 280 lbs/in springs for front (Z60-203-050)
Swift 9" 60 mm ID 280 lbs/in springs for back (Z60-228-050)

This setup is really comfortable and sporty at the same time. I think the front stiffness is perfect. Depending on your situation you might consider running 336 lbs/in (Z60-228-060) in the back. My wife and small child are in the car a lot so I went with 280 lbs/in.

The camber plates easily go to 2.5 degrees of camber.

I'll post photos later today so you can get a sense of how it looks.

Last edited:

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Hello, I wanted to go very low but that plan was thrown out the window when the 7inch 350# springs left me at 24.5ftg. After leaving them at the setting I initially installed them at (all the way down), I started getting clunks. Everything was tight but what I soon came to realize was that the springs had no pre load on them so when i hit a big dip and the suspension would rebound the top hat adapter was not settling onto the shock mounts. In order to have pre load on full droop ( car is in the air and wheels are not touching the ground) I had to spin the coilovers up about 1 inch worth of threads. I now have zero noises when cruising and moderetly driving at a fast pace. But say i hit a dip going very quick mid corner, it seems as if the spring coils are coming in contact with each other in the front. If i were to do this all over again i would use 8 inch springs in the front and 9 inch for the rear. But im tired of getting my car aligned so im leaving it at this setup.

I have v2 koni coilovers with hyperco springs using an eibach top hat adapter from the r series coilovers.
350# 7inch fronts
350# 8 inch rears
My Fender to ground all around is 25.25 inches. The linear spring install without helpers are for performance and not lowering your car. YOU NEED PRELOAD with these springs or else you will get sounds.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Its interesting we both ended up at 25 1/4" FTG. Yeah, spinning your perches up too high will cause spring bind which is likely the sound you're hearing.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Here she is. 25.25 FTG all around.

Last edited:

upon31

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks fantastic, but holy hell, the photo is like 3 times larger than my laptop. LOL.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
25.25 is a sweet spot. Rides nice over bumps and the large 225/40/18 tires fill the gap. Oem tires arent as big

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I set the rear sway (H&R 22mm) on stiff tonight. The car is so balanced now. Its really nice. With the spring rates I have (280 front and rear) this together with H&R 26 mm front sway on soft works really well.