GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Farewell My Friends - Its Been Fun

Greefus

Gran Turismo Champion
I did my brakes like yours this fall with Centric rotors, ST pads, and Tyrol bushings. Works awesome. I appreciate that you showed us that so I didn't waste money on a big brake kit instead.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
No one liked me Roll Tiding the Auburn guy. :(

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Granules do you still have that DSG drain tool I tried to buy off of you? Lol.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
No one liked me Roll Tiding the Auburn guy. :(

OH! NOW I get it!

So long Granules. I enjoyed following your house-building thread. Please stop in to OT to say hi every now and then.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
:threadjacked:

So many people are knocking VW's on here for reliability, yet over here in South Africa - VW's are some of the most reliable cars on the road. Maybe climate has something to do with it, but I swear, VW GTi's over are not known to be unreliable at all.

It's the same as Subarus in the UK. Over there they're renowned for their reliability but over here in SA they suck donkey balls and break just by looking at them.

Oh well, to each their own :)

I'll tell you this though: there's no such thing as a reliable car these days. Cars have become extremely complex with their electronics etc. So buy a car that's fun to drive when it works, and enjoy it when it does!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'll miss your great posts Grambles.
Yours has always been the voice of knowledge, reason, facts and maturity. :bow:

P_m651

Ready to race!
I've enjoyed reading your many posts - all technically solid, and with good judgement. Good luck to you.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
You've been a big part of these forums, honestly. It's been great reading about the technical aspects in an easy to understand way. From suspension to mounts to turbo installs and discussions, I have learned a lot from you. And I totally understand your move to Honda and away from the forums. Enjoy your sanity. :)

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
:threadjacked:

So many people are knocking VW's on here for reliability, yet over here in South Africa - VW's are some of the most reliable cars on the road. Maybe climate has something to do with it, but I swear, VW GTi's over are not known to be unreliable at all.

It's the same as Subarus in the UK. Over there they're renowned for their reliability but over here in SA they suck donkey balls and break just by looking at them.

Oh well, to each their own :)

I'll tell you this though: there's no such thing as a reliable car these days. Cars have become extremely complex with their electronics etc. So buy a car that's fun to drive when it works, and enjoy it when it does!

this

i am born and raised in europe, and vw's are known for reliability and safety in europe. when i hear in america, vw's break, i always think "are they stupid?". but then after owning my mk6 GTI in the US, i began to realize why, its the cost cutting they do specially for US cars to sell cheaper, meaning some plastic parts, plastic intake and all that. There are some features in the US that vw's won't serve as they do in Europe. Also Americans don't know how to maintain cars properly, like changing oil on time. They drive cars hard during warm up period, etc. then they bitch about reliability. Sure i had a broken water pump, while others have it towed, i threw water in reservoir if some left, then take dealer. We're operating a machine, not a lightbulb n a switch.

And yes i totally agree with you on modern car reliability, especially BMW and Mercedes, I've seen more f30 and newer mercedes being towed than older ones. Im not impressed with cruise control radar crap or Facebook, i buy bmw for pleasure and i don't mind a bmw without a sunroof, i don't care if i buy base one, less tech, less hassle and longer life for me.

bcgti

Ready to race!
As a new VW owner I have to say this forum seems to have a lot of people wanting to jump ship. There's a ton of great info and I've enjoyed reading up on Grambles posts but there's an overall 'negative vibe' towards the car on this forum. At least that's what I've taken from it. It's jaded my GTI experience ever so slightly .... I've been enjoying it overall but I'm a little more paranoid now regarding reliability.

I can understand the situation and heck, why wouldn't you drive a vehicle from your employer. Best of luck.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
As a new VW owner I have to say this forum seems to have a lot of people wanting to jump ship. There's a ton of great info and I've enjoyed reading up on Grambles posts but there's an overall 'negative vibe' towards the car on this forum. At least that's what I've taken from it. It's jaded my GTI experience ever so slightly .... I've been enjoying it overall but I'm a little more paranoid now regarding reliability.

I can understand the situation and heck, why wouldn't you drive a vehicle from your employer. Best of luck.

Most forum users who jump ship, heavily mod their cars. Which decreases reliability by quite a lot (as with any car)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I knew that the GTI was going to be an unreliable car...and mine has been pretty unreliable. 90% of my frustration with the GTI is not the car itself but with VWoA and their dealers