GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Farewell My Friends - Its Been Fun

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Dear GolfMKV/MK6/MK7 Forum(s),

Over the past 8 years I've immersed myself into a very diverse group of enthusiasts. From low riders, to stockers, to sleepers, to racecars...I've seen it all in the VAG aftermarket. I've had some struggling debates, I've had some nice conversations regarding engineering principles and developing new tuning paradigms, and I've made some good friends along the way. But my time has come to an end.

The days of 3" vs. 2.5" downpipes debates are gone. The days of harddriven stirring up the forum about his Camaro SS are vanishing. The days of technical learning about the minute differences between the 2009 and 2010 GTIs are all but transparent. The days of unicorn threads and my Unicorn Theory are mere memories. The comedic Plac Diaries are all but gone. These forums thrive on knowledge and friendship and community, never lose that sense. MK6 forum is moving into its 2nd/3rd generation owners where often times "Which tune is best" or "Which offset is best" will be the headlines of a normal days intake. Keep exploring and keep learning.

Everyone knows my vehicle story. 2008.5 GTI bought in 2010 with 28K miles. Won the APR raffle the same year, traded up for K04, and eventually made my way back to stock. I've learned many things along the way not only in VAG engineering and design, but about my vehicle ownership and what my time is in pure value to myself and my family. All selfish needs aside, I value my sanity and my life outside of this vehicle. This car has been the worst I've ever owned and will never look to the VW market again.

What car is next? Well, its a tough call at this point. I thrive on thrill and excitement from my daily drives to and fro from work. Something small, Manual, and engaging will be my next target. But most certainly containing reliability, cheap, and easy to maintain. I don't need 1000hp or 4000ft lbs to keep me entertained in my vehicle. But zero car payments, low insurance, and something that'll last until 200K miles will leave me less worried about car and more worried about my life and its new additions down the road. I'm looking at a 2014/2015 4DR SI, 2014 Accord Sport, Next Gen SI, or 2016 ILX. (Most of you know I work for Honda, so it shouldn't be a surprise :D) All of those will keep me happy, rich, sane, and most of all copacetic with the wife.

I'm still here to answer "most" questions through PM because I will get an email about it, but I will not be visiting the forum anymore but for a few more days to check this thread. To those who have my email/facebook, stay in touch! And to the others, its been great. I'm certain I will see some of you in Honda forums in due time!

Farewell GolfMK6
-Zach

PS. Dont forget Balls Deep K04!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
tl;dr

first

:wub:

str77

Ready to race!
My Best to you Sir! :)
I don't know you but I've read your very helpful threads.
Thanks for what you have done to this community!

MarkVIChris

Ready to race!
Later man. Enjoy the new whip.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
DAMMIT ZACH!

Another one gone. The OG's are but few now. It was fun posting with you and the days of Unicorns are long gone. It will happen to us all, eventually.

I will give you a special surprise in a little bit. I must go work on my bro muscles right now, doe.

sskamboj

Ready to race!
Best of luck to you man, I've gained a lot of knowledge reading yours and other's very informative and very helpful threads. After being a VAG owner for only about a year and a half, I also see myself going for something more reliable and less troublesome come time for a new vehicle. Take care! :thumbsup:

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Roll Tide.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
But zero car payments, low insurance, and something that'll last until 200K miles will leave me less worried about car and more worried about my life and its new additions down the road.
Amen.

It's been real. Always enjoyed reading your lengthy posts. When are you making the move?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
lucky bastard. take care.

(My coolant level is slowly dropping again, ill whine about it in my next video. Cliffs: VW's suck.)

Last edited:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Do honda employees get a special manual option on the ILX that is not available to the public?

http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-acura-ilx-dumps-the-manual-but-other-stuff-get-1661113366

on a slightly more serious note:

How do you plan on stopping yourself from being a car guy? I'd love to be able just drive one boring cheap reliable car and put all of my time and money into something else like normal people do, but have no idea how to "break the cycle" as it were.

Last edited:

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Do honda employees get a special manual option on the ILX that is not available to the public?

http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-acura-ilx-dumps-the-manual-but-other-stuff-get-1661113366

on a slightly more serious note:

How do you plan on stopping yourself from being a car guy? I'd love to be able just drive one boring cheap reliable car and put all of my time and money into something else like normal people do, but have no idea how to "break the cycle" as it were.

Why not a reliable daily driver and then a weekend/project car where all the money goes (when money is available)

razr390

Go Kart Champion
lucky bastard. take care.

(My coolant level is slowly dropping again, ill whine about it in my next video. Cliffs: VW's suck.)

Where can I find such videos

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion