GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Farewell My Friends - Its Been Fun

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
this

i am born and raised in europe, and vw's are known for reliability and safety in europe. when i hear in america, vw's break, i always think "are they stupid?". but then after owning my mk6 GTI in the US, i began to realize why, its the cost cutting they do specially for US cars to sell cheaper, meaning some plastic parts, plastic intake and all that. There are some features in the US that vw's won't serve as they do in Europe. Also Americans don't know how to maintain cars properly, like changing oil on time. They drive cars hard during warm up period, etc. then they bitch about reliability. Sure i had a broken water pump, while others have it towed, i threw water in reservoir if some left, then take dealer. We're operating a machine, not a lightbulb n a switch.

And yes i totally agree with you on modern car reliability, especially BMW and Mercedes, I've seen more f30 and newer mercedes being towed than older ones. Im not impressed with cruise control radar crap or Facebook, i buy bmw for pleasure and i don't mind a bmw without a sunroof, i don't care if i buy base one, less tech, less hassle and longer life for me.
Because europe has tons of other shit like Italian, French and Polish (skoda) cars. Which are unreliable pieces of shit for the most part. With that sample size I am not surprised VW stands out...

Americans drive a lot more than europeans as well. Public transportation is nearly non existent here and we have the highest car ownership/per capita rate in the world.

Japanese cars have always been the most reliable no matter how you slice and dice it. The are used by the terrorists in the middle east and most of the world uses Corollas as taxi cabs. And they run just fine on donkey piss gas and an occasional oil change with shitty oil. Whether it is europe or here or a durka cave in Durkistan.

American cars really narrowed the reliability gap and are now close to the japanese. But European cars have been less reliable than the American cars since the death of the beatle.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
So who gets his mod spot??

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Because europe has tons of other shit like Italian, French and Polish (skoda) cars. Which are unreliable pieces of shit for the most part. With that sample size I am not surprised VW stands out...

Americans drive a lot more than europeans as well. Public transportation is nearly non existent here and we have the highest car ownership/per capita rate in the world.

Japanese cars have always been the most reliable no matter how you slice and dice it. The are used by the terrorists in the middle east and most of the world uses Corollas as taxi cabs. And they run just fine on donkey piss gas and an occasional oil change with shitty oil. Whether it is europe or here or a durka cave in Durkistan.

American cars really narrowed the reliability gap and are now close to the japanese. But European cars have been less reliable than the American cars since the death of the beatle.

American cars will never surpass Japanese cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
As a new VW owner I have to say this forum seems to have a lot of people wanting to jump ship. There's a ton of great info and I've enjoyed reading up on Grambles posts but there's an overall 'negative vibe' towards the car on this forum. At least that's what I've taken from it. It's jaded my GTI experience ever so slightly .... I've been enjoying it overall but I'm a little more paranoid now regarding reliability.

I can understand the situation and heck, why wouldn't you drive a vehicle from your employer. Best of luck.

VW reliability is like russian roulette of transport. You either get a reliable tank up to 200k without a SINGLE problem, or you get one that can be reliable with only hopes and dreams. my mk6 so far was fine for most part, i got water pump took shit at 9,000 miles (which is unacceptable on most brands on new car) and subframe clunking that prevents holding front end alignment (that was solved with tyrolsport subframe collar bushings) bc the stock bolts aren't snug together. Clutch slipped but that was due to apr stage 1 tune, gti's clutches are a joke unlike the focus st, wrx, srt4's and even mazdaspeed3's, bc the stock clutch is only capable of stock levels, (i.e. cost cutting), generally vw in us did a lot of cost cutting by adding some plastic parts which is the cause, to lower msrp so americans can buy em. I can kinda understand why, to try to make money, but it doesn't seem to work as much.

i am aware of what you said as being a euro (well turkey) native and lived there till 11 years old when i moved to US and visit there at least once a year, i can see why. Those french, german, skoda's, seat's and so on are a hit or miss, just like vw, they're either reliable as fuck or is made to be for a museum. But alfa's and fiat's are the worst out of them, you won't see much older alfa's on the road compared to other euro brands, at least in Balkan countries. There's also lot of Lada's (russian cars) where I'm from, now those are real shitty cars, i saw one 2000 lada that the trunk randomly flew open on the highway, something a VW didn't do.

Also i rented a peugeot in greece with 60k miles, no check engine light, steering tracks straight, clutch's good (better feedback than gti actually), engine good (although slow), but it appears people banged in back seats since the back seat bottom couldn't hold in place, one of the interior door closing bars with window switch attached got really loose and some white substances dried up on the seat. my uncles 2004 megane diesel daily driver which i believe has 70k miles now, because his commute is right across the city, never really had issues other than the peeling on door pull bars, but he bought the car used a few years back when it only had about 55k k's. But it needs a new clutch now since it started slipping when i drove it last summer while engaging the revs shoot a little high. Also euro cars are quite more cheaper than japanese/korean cars to purchase, due to importing and so on.

But not everywhere uses corolla's as cabs, in turkey no one uses asian cars as cabs but hyundai's, rest are fiat's (specially made for turkey), dacia and so on, i saw on odo on fiats specially which end up 700,000 km/h's on odo, meaning 400k miles :eek: with no check engine lights and they go up 60% inclines in no problem and half the drivers treat em like shit and sometimes grind gears but its not their car and company is the liability when something goes wrong, so no fucks given :laugh:.

Germany, just merc's, and vw tourans.
Italy, Prius, fiats.
Mexico, old sentra's, mk4 jettas with somewhat face lifted head/tail lights that are still in production, which is called jetta classico.
France, mostly those vw caddy vans (like the ford transit connect ones)
Greece, passat or skoda's
same story in bulgaria.
although, costa rica had lot of corollas and accents as cabs, iirc, lebanon, dubai as well, but went there over 10 years ago.

American cars will never surpass Japanese cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this, although american cars are nearly as reliable as japanese, just doesn't have better resale value. it's kinda depends on model, kinda like VW's, hit or miss, just minus the shitty service department, although my local ford dealer has shitty service when my dad takes his expedition in.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
VW reliability is like russian roulette of transport. You either get a reliable tank up to 200k without a SINGLE problem, or you get one that can be reliable with only hopes and dreams.

This seems to be the case. I was pretty paranoid when I first got my GTI, as I expected to have multiple water pump failures and defective intake manifolds, but so far this thing is a tank. I'm now at 73k miles and still haven't had a single issue. The only service I've had done are oil changes and a DSG service.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
This seems to be the case. I was pretty paranoid when I first got my GTI, as I expected to have multiple water pump failures and defective intake manifolds, but so far this thing is a tank. I'm now at 73k miles and still haven't had a single issue. The only service I've had done are oil changes and a DSG service.

exactly, its a matter of luck, lets not forget, hondas have issues too, for instance 1998-2002 accords have common auto trans failure, I've read some nissan cvt's have issues, subaru's have issues. there isn't a perfect car unless you experience it. i just hope my mk7 would treat me the same because i don't wanna make another move for a replacement car for at least 2-3 years from now as by the time, i'll likely be able to afford an s4, m235i, new sti, etc.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
But your MK7 has a 3 year all inclusive warranty and 5 years on the powertrain. I don't think reliability is a concern. You'll grow tired of the car or total it before you have to pay for repairs out of pocket. :laugh:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
But your MK7 has a 3 year all inclusive warranty and 5 years on the powertrain. I don't think reliability is a concern. You'll grow tired of the car or total it before you have to pay for repairs and DSG service out of pocket. :laugh:

this but little edited.

I actually started getting bored of it from time to time 4,000 miles later :laugh:, mostly due to dsg, overall happy with the car....for now. but at least i don't "need" to mod the 7 much as i did to mk6 cosmetically, the stock tails are already miles better than 6, and led tails aren't really worth it, although they look pure sex in person. but i still need to change tires since stocks suck hoping i can sell to some slammed mk5 owner at local meet who only cares about scene points and get more bitches, throw a tune, dsg tune, lower with vwr springs and spacers which i think thats what i really need, i didn't seem to experience heat soak in this car vs 6, who knows.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Why not just keep it stock... seems like the wisest thing. Power is there, any suspension mods will make the ride harsher than an already harsh ride. Tails...IMO look fine on the mk7 the LEDs look like cheap reps for some reason.

Mk7 is great out of the box minus that terrible headunit.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
MAH GRANULES :cry:

cobie56

Ready to race!
As a new VW owner I have to say this forum seems to have a lot of people wanting to jump ship. There's a ton of great info and I've enjoyed reading up on Grambles posts but there's an overall 'negative vibe' towards the car on this forum. At least that's what I've taken from it. It's jaded my GTI experience ever so slightly .... I've been enjoying it overall but I'm a little more paranoid now regarding reliability.

I can understand the situation and heck, why wouldn't you drive a vehicle from your employer. Best of luck.

It is the same with many makes. I used to have a focus Ti and if u troll the ford focus forum ull see many owners complaining about a variety of issues, tho mostly the DCT tranny, and wanting to get rid of the focus for another brand

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Why not just keep it stock... seems like the wisest thing. Power is there, any suspension mods will make the ride harsher than an already harsh ride. Tails...IMO look fine on the mk7 the LEDs look like cheap reps for some reason.

Mk7 is great out of the box minus that terrible headunit.

mk7 is actually more comfortable compared to stock mk6 actually, definitely not camry like, I'm just glad i didn't get another mk6 cuz i will dump money all over again if i do. I'm keeping modding plan at pause for few months cuz i have to pay off some debt (not car included), just procasinated, so i have plenty of time to think. Also mk7 feel as fast as they claim, but that maybe due to coming from manual. and yes i agree with head unit, i liked my mk6's better because it was lot easier to change station with the center knob, mk7 is more iPad like, swipe n touch, which distracts my driving more, but no complaints overall. as for tails, led tails are just a waste of money for this car, nothing more than that as a real benefit, specially for looks.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
mk7 is actually more comfortable compared to stock mk6 actually, definitely not camry like, I'm just glad i didn't get another mk6 cuz i will dump money all over again if i do. I'm keeping modding plan at pause for few months cuz i have to pay off some debt (not car included), just procasinated, so i have plenty of time to think. Also mk7 doesn't feel as fast as my mk6 was, but that maybe due to coming from manual. and yes i agree with head unit, i liked my mk6's better because it was lot easier to change station with the center knob, mk7 is more iPad like, swipe n touch, which distracts my driving more, but no complaints overall. as for tails, led tails are just a waste of money for this car, nothing more than that as a real benefit, specially for looks.

Weird I drove em back to back and they were equally bumpy too me. And the MK7 felt fast esp with all that low end torque. And jesus the brakes are worlds better than before.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for all your help on the forums! I've read many threads and posts of yours that have been extremely helpful.

I vote 2014 or 2015 Honda Civic Si sedan in Taffeta White. :D

They look so good!

I also may or may not have made an account on 9thGenCivic to follow build threads...

Last edited: