GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator leak...is this a common problem?

zrickety

The Fixer
Lots of driver side leaks, interesting. FedEx just delivered, great packaging by Nissens.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
There is a clip that holds the fan wiring in a tray on the fan assembly that rubs through the radiator (drivers side). This happened to me at ~16k miles, which was about 6 months of ownership. Replaced through warranty, and they left the clip there. I took the clip back off after getting it back from the dealer and have never had a problem since, currently at 98k miles and 4 years later.

I do get a random code on occasion for the Radiator Sensor (CBFA), but it usually goes away and doesn't return so I'm not too worried about that.

zrickety

The Fixer
Just to update this thread... I've been watching it and only topped it off a couple times since September. It's such a minute leak and now it's on both sides of the tank. Looks like the seam is giving where the tabs grab on. Been so busy with the kids and driving the car, the new one is still on the shelf.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Had mine replaced out of warranty - ended up paying just for labor as VW reimbursed cost of the radiator. Same leak spot as OP :\

Can you post pictures of the replacement radiator you purchased? When you get a chance that is :)

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Can you post pictures of the replacement radiator you purchased? When you get a chance that is :)

I purchased an OEM replacement unit - that's the only way VW would reimburse me.

Sadly - can't post any pictures because I sold the car couple months back.

zrickety

The Fixer
Here are the Pics

Last edited:

twistngo1

Just finding this thread in a google search. My Radiator has been very slowly leaking for a while. Started with left corner, then to right corner. Dealer said the seam is failing and quoted me $700+ for OEM and $500+ for aftermarket radiator (Both with install labor). They offered nothing to me in the way of coverage for replacement (Just broke 70K miles on my 2011, BTW)

So I am tempted to do this myself. Is there any DIY info on removal and access to Radiator out there? Is this a difficult chore? Now that winter is coming on here, the leak seems to have gotten much worse in the past week.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Before you guys had them replaced did you ever get a strong coolant smell after driving the car? I can find any leaks but the car stinks after driving it.

Chris659

Ready to race!
Just finding this thread in a google search. My Radiator has been very slowly leaking for a while. Started with left corner, then to right corner. Dealer said the seam is failing and quoted me $700+ for OEM and $500+ for aftermarket radiator (Both with install labor). They offered nothing to me in the way of coverage for replacement (Just broke 70K miles on my 2011, BTW)

So I am tempted to do this myself. Is there any DIY info on removal and access to Radiator out there? Is this a difficult chore? Now that winter is coming on here, the leak seems to have gotten much worse in the past week.

What aftermarket units are available other than the Tyrol Sport unit?

twistngo1

Before you guys had them replaced did you ever get a strong coolant smell after driving the car? I can find any leaks but the car stinks after driving it.

Yes!! Very! This is what I have going on, and I can see the leaking area by each corner, particularly by the driver side.