GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone else getting tired of modding?

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
you need to have an end goal/purpose to modding, otherwise you will not enjoy it
example. if you auto-x or track your car, you can add shit to see a tangible difference the next time you hit the track.
yes, it hurts your wallet (modding isn't meant to be an inexpensive hobby)
. .. but the car friends i've met are worth the mods i have done

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

this

bring it in for feels adrian

zrickety

The Fixer
If you do the right mods, it should blend and seem normal. Great mods stand out on their own. I love the hobby, just wish I had more time to wrench.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
you need to have an end goal/purpose to modding, otherwise you will not enjoy it
example. if you auto-x or track your car, you can add shit to see a tangible difference the next time you hit the track.
yes, it hurts your wallet (modding isn't meant to be an inexpensive hobby)

Truth. :)

Anytime someone asks me a question like, 'Hey I want to get into performance cars, what should I get?' I always counter with, 'what do you want to do with said performance car? For example, do you have plans to track it or just aesthetics?' This is an easy setup to bring their desires to the surface and setup a potential project for modding.

TL;DR: Set goals!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
2 reasons why people get tired of modding:

1. their S/O wears the pants in the relationship
2. they are NOT mechanically inclined to begin with

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm very happy the car is where it is now (k04) but yes I'm starting to slow down the mods. My car is at about half life with me. Any changes I make won't have as much ROI as before so it's not as valuable. I'll still do the cheaper stuff like LED turn signals, bushings, maybe an rsb, but nothing major anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Stinger

Ready to race!
Good feedback all around, some of which hit home.

Why mod? Tracking/X-cross is purpose modding. Focused, fun but expensive and potentially devastating if you damage your dd... Modding for the adrenaline rush is short lived so satisfaction has to come from molding your car to your taste. Sometimes there is a lack of clarity on why to mod... Paid lots of money for by B14's but I can't afford tracking (cost/time) and they're too stiff (in my opinion) for dd on the crappy roads of NorCal... Should have stuck to my former B8/DG setup even if B14 are all around a better suspension.

Then there's the impact mods have on the car. When something doesn't seem right it then becomes a puzzle to figure out what needs revision and if, like me, you're a weekend mech, it can be an anxiety filled experience or a costly one if you resolve to take it to a shop...

I know my mk6 is a much better car than a stock GTI and love it at the expense of cash and peace of mind...

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I'm very happy the car is where it is now (k04) but yes I'm starting to slow down the mods. My car is at about half life with me. Any changes I make won't have as much ROI as before so it's not as valuable. I'll still do the cheaper stuff like LED turn signals, bushings, maybe an rsb, but nothing major anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Exactly how i feel man. Its like ive come close to reaching the realistic limit of this car and now its just slight adjustments

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

DubDriver17

Oval Newbie
Exactly, modding gets old and tiresome and eventually wears out or becomes an obsession for the latest and greatest.

And that's when you buy a new car and start allllll over again.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

kern417

Go Kart Champion
ever since i saw a big turbo ford fusion, i refuse to think i'll ever buy another car that can't be modded.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
thanks for all the replies! it's cool to hear all your perspectives.

i think part of the reason why i might feel unsatisfied is that i don't drive the car daily. i take the train to work every day. my wife is the one that gets all the fun with my mods!!

but, i recently got flashed by to stock from the recall, and i can't wait to get my tune back on, so maybe i haven't completely lost my urge to mod...