GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat15: Sushi Now Made With Real Tuna - Not That Fast Food Tuna - Jaber Rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
ChiChat15: Baumy Suggests De-Tuning Alternative For Slipping Clutch - Gets Banned

I do find it interesting you think everyone who illegally possesses a firearm in Chicago should be able to legally purchase them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Bringing up George Zimmerman as your defense for increased gun controls is not helping your cause.

I watched the *entire* trial. They streamed it, and I watched it at work during a slow period we were going through. The media TOTALLY jacked up the perceptions.

GZ was undoubtedly acting in self defense.

Not saying GZ wasn't a scumbag, not saying he was an angel. But he was acting in self defense and the shoot was totally justified.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I do find it interesting you think everyone who illegally possesses a firearm in Chicago should be able to legally purchase them.

I bet a good portion of those who currently illegally possess a firearm in the city of Chicago would never qualify to be a legal firearm owner in the first place.

More people who are legally capable of owning a firearm, should own and carry. Suddenly people won't be fish in a barrel.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
ChiChat15: Baumy Suggests De-Tuning Alternative For Slipping Clutch - Gets Banned

Bringing up George Zimmerman as your defense for increased gun controls is not helping your cause.

I watched the *entire* trial. They streamed it, and I watched it at work during a slow period we were going through. The media TOTALLY jacked up the perceptions.

GZ was undoubtedly acting in self defense.

Not saying GZ wasn't a scumbag, not saying he was an angel. But he was acting in self defense and the shoot was totally justified.

Zimmerman instigated a situation. If he hadn't been carrying a gun he likely would have stayed in his damn car the kid would still be alive. If Roy goes to pick a fight with someone and then shoots him after the guy takes a swing you're going to defend Roy?

Flip the script and the kid is 18 and concealed carries, sees Zimmerman stalking him with a gun and shoots him claiming self defense. Is the shooting of George Zimmerman justified?

Jaber

Modero
Dat Trayvon Martin, angel he was.

Speaking of.. my IP Cameras caught 1 male checking 3 cars early this morning, with 3 individuals following behind him, one holding a bag. Same group going around the "nice suburbs" stealing cars/property? Hopefully none of my neighbors became victims last night.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Zimmerman instigated a situation. If he hadn't been carrying a gun he likely would have stayed in his damn car the kid would still be alive. If Roy goes to pick a fight with someone and then shoots him after the guy takes a swing you're going to defend Roy?

Flip the script and the kid is 18 and concealed carries, sees Zimmerman stalking him with a gun and shoots him claiming self defense. Is the shooting of George Zimmerman justified?

Your ignorance is showing again. Stop with the GZ case, you just look stupid. Clearly you're getting the story from the media-spun version.

GZ didn't instigate. Trayvon was the escalator/instigator. GZ was part of a neighborhood watch program, in a neighborhood that had a series of recent break-ins. It's called being a good neighbor and watching for suspicious people in your community. I do the same thing when I notice suspicious activity... I call the cops, then keep a physical eye on things until the cops arrive.

Your comparison is invalid. George did not go to pick a fight. George was trying to figure out where Trayvon went. Had Trayvon gone home (and I've reviewed the timelines - there was MORE than enough time for him to have gone home!) then the incident would have been a non-starter.

Trayvon was the escalator/instigator. He doubled back to jump GZ. GZ was acquitted for a reason.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Comparing inner city Chicago to Wyoming isn't really a comparison. If you'd like to argue that Wyoming and Chicago are culturally similar I am all ears. And I agree current gun control laws don't work because jurisdictions don't exist in a vacuum. Silly to try control something in one jurisdiction that is more or less unregulated in a neighboring jurisdiction where goods and people easily flow between.

Think about the number of police shootings by "threatened" officers on unarmed victims in the news with around 750,000 armed police officers in the country. You think arming 242,000,000 untrained people won't raise it? (I'm assuming you'll say something along the lines of "well if everyone is armed, people will be less aggressive")

If EVERY citizen carried a gun you'd have 10x the George Zimmerman situations. The number of "I felt threatened so I shot him/her" claims of self defense situations in this country would skyrocket, especially when you can make the argument that the person you shot was armed.

And statistics can be skewed to support whatever argument you want. Examples:

• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
• Among Texans convicted of serious crimes, those with concealed-handgun licenses were sentenced for threatening someone with a firearm 4.8 times more than those without.
• A buyback program that wound up taking a fifth of Australia's guns off the street wound up reducing firearm suicides by 74 percent without affecting non-firearm suicides.

You are comparing officers who job it is to find bad guys to every day citizens going about their day?

That is not really a comparison at all.

Also, you are side-stepping the whole issue.

Who has guns ILLEGALLY? The bad guys. The good guys go through training and background checks to posses their (CCW) gun legally. Good guys aren't going to go randomly pull their gun and shoot people. Will there be instances of people pulling their gun illegal (to be the agressor)? Absolutely. There are bad apples within every group. However, threating someone vs murdering them are a far cry apart...not to mention illegal and grounds to lose your CCW.

However, lets not lose focus on the bag guys owning guns illegally and committing illegal crimes which there are already laws against. They commit a crime, get arrested, and then put back on the street to commit more crimes. So, even through we have "common sense gun laws" on the books, they are not being enforced like they should.

Everyone that makes arguments that guns are "bad" should really compare it to drunk driving. The car is just a vehicle, literally. So is Alcohol. If a person has poor judgement and decides to combine the two and crash/kill/whatever someone, you never see lobbyists crying that we need less cars on the road.

I am sure you can find statistics that show in areas where car ownership is higher you have more vehicle deaths and DUIs. More of anything will have more of something linked to it, naturally. How come PEOPLE are held accountable for DUIs but GUNs are to be blamed when someone uses it to murder someone? Makes zero sense. In both cases it's the individual that made the poor decision and caused the consequence.

Who said this?

Jaber

Modero
Your ignorance is showing again. Stop with the GZ case, you just look stupid. Clearly you're getting the story from the media-spun version.

GZ didn't instigate. Trayvon was the escalator/instigator. GZ was part of a neighborhood watch program, in a neighborhood that had a series of recent break-ins. It's called being a good neighbor and watching for suspicious people in your community. I do the same thing when I notice suspicious activity... I call the cops, then keep a physical eye on things until the cops arrive.

Your comparison is invalid. George did not go to pick a fight. George was trying to figure out where Trayvon went. Had Trayvon gone home (and I've reviewed the timelines - there was MORE than enough time for him to have gone home!) then the incident would have been a non-starter.

Trayvon was the escalator/instigator. He doubled back to jump GZ. GZ was acquitted for a reason.

Luckily I get a permit everytime I visit Huntley, to be #APRSAFE. PTAK will get ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.