GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weather tech Sun Shade - horrible experience -

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Anyone have a weather tech sun shade? Just got one and it fits horribly. Both ECS and weather tech says it’s right, basically deal with it or pay to ship back. They are saying they sent the right product it’s my issue. I’m convinced this is wrong, or their product is just shit. Looking for other pictures showing it installed.

5DF1BE96-F841-4785-A5D2-D740E06E4668.jpeg

BD919F83-A3C6-4970-A058-11F88683156E.jpeg

E1CAE898-6963-43C0-994E-827CA72DD113.jpeg

Got one for my wife’s Q5 as well and that actually fits.

559FB0D6-77B8-42A5-B222-22F8DF144AEA.jpeg
E49DD255-FFAD-45B4-AB2E-75666D7C8E12.jpeg

Attachments

• BC92A91D-2E5C-4118-AFC8-E4D8CA250F18.jpeg
    BC92A91D-2E5C-4118-AFC8-E4D8CA250F18.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 142

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Anyone have a weather tech sun shade? Just got one and it fits horribly. Both ECS and weather tech says it’s right, basically deal with it or pay to ship back. They are saying they sent the right product it’s my issue. I’m convinced this is wrong, or their product is just shit. Looking for other pictures showing it installed.

View attachment 172694

View attachment 172695

View attachment 172696

Got one for my wife’s Q5 as well and that actually fits.

View attachment 172699View attachment 172700
Yep that is exactly how mine fits. I was not pleased. I expected it to fit like the one in the Q5.

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
Get a covercraft, they’ve always fit about perfect for me on numerous vehicles.

thanks, will be looking to get another. Been looking Covercraft and Heatshield. Will spend 10 hours a day parked with no overhead cover middle of Nevada desert. Need something

Yep that is exactly how mine fits. I was not pleased. I expected it to fit like the one in the Q5.

definitely a shame, they talk a big game but definitely missed the mark on this one. Seems to be a they will fit close enough mentality.

torga

Autocross Champion
thanks, will be looking to get another. Been looking Covercraft and Heatshield. Will spend 10 hours a day parked with no overhead cover middle of Nevada desert.
Nevada desert is a bit worse, but I've been very happy with my Covercraft UVS100 in the New Mexico desert.
Fitment is good, too.
IMG_20200512_071459.jpg

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
If anyone else has this problem I'm guessing it's because you had your windshield replaced at some point.

I had a weathertech (OEM style) sunshade and it used to fit perfectly. It has to slide down into a little channel between the windshield where it meets the dash to work properly. Then I had my windshield replaced due to a rock strike. When the new windshield was installed something changed and the weathertech sunshade no longer fit down into the little channel so it sits up too high and leads to that awful fitment. I couldn't come up with a solution other than having my windshield replaced and praying that it went back to OEM fitment.

If anyone that has this problem tries out a Covercraft sunshade I'd be interested to hear if the fitment works out better.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How do I know if my windshield has been replaced? Does the OEM have VW On it?

Okay so I just tried shoving it down in between the glass and dash and it does fit better. Never had to do that with a sunshade before.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I have a Covercraft for my GTI and it fits pretty well. We bought my wife a 2018 Explorer and bought a Covercraft for it. It has a similar problem that you have to slide it in between the dash and windshield to get it to fit right. I always wind up bumping the mirror when I install it.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
How do I know if my windshield has been replaced? Does the OEM have VW On it?

Okay so I just tried shoving it down in between the glass and dash and it does fit better. Never had to do that with a sunshade before.

Yea OEM glass will have a VW on it

GolNat

Autocross Champion
🙁 I guess I don’t. Car only had 35k miles on it. Well that explains that. Thanks Tony.

01120884-1FBA-41FD-BD02-582040FF2886.jpeg

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
🙁 I guess I don’t. Car only had 35k miles on it. Well that explains that. Thanks Tony.

Yup that's the same one I have. The glass guy talked me out of OEM. It's fine but kinda wish I went OEM. Also, he didn't do the greatest job on the install. He should have layed it on a tad higher at the roof line. I'm talking like maybe 1-2mm though. The issue causing the shade to not go down is for sure due to the amount of sealer applied and how much they press the glass down, etc. With the Covercraft you don't have to worry about that bc none of them are designed to slide down in there.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yup that's the same one I have. The glass guy talked me out of OEM. It's fine but kinda wish I went OEM. Also, he didn't do the greatest job on the install. He should have layed it on a tad higher at the roof line. I'm talking like maybe 1-2mm though. The issue causing the shade to not go down is for sure due to the amount of sealer applied and how much they press the glass down, etc. With the Covercraft you don't have to worry about that bc none of them are designed to slide down in there.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks

Weathertech should explain that but I’m thinking they don't know. Definitely something people should check before purchasing one of their shades.

I almost bought the Covercraft too.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
True that, the covercraft is also thick so it would never fit that way. Possibly has to do with how weather tech measures the glass. I'm sure they don't get one of every model in the shop to spec it out. That's almost impossible

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I have a Covercraft for my GTI and I really like it. Bought a Weathertech for my wife’s car and while it fits I can’t say that I like it much. The quality and fitment are good enough, after getting the Covercraft I’ve learned that I don’t like the roll style sunshades.

Oh, and when I bought the Covercraft I lived in south Texas and my car would be parked outside for 10-12 hours a day. It did a great job.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I wonder If I call them if they will take it back. Maybe if I leave a bad review 🤔