GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who's owned their car the longest?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Coming up on 8 years of ownership in mid march.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
and here i was wondering if i was too old (i'll be 50 in May) to own buy a GTI. thats awesome. can't wait until mine gets delivered.
Age is a number that indicates the amount of experience we accumulated on this planet earth.

Remember when you were 3 years old… they start telling you you’re “old” at the age of 3 or even younger. Do not think of it as being old,..

Think of it as reaching another level. Surviving life and waking up the next day. Being a better person. Stronger and wiser. All we have is the moment of now. As I type this. This moment is all that matters. Don’t let your age dictate what you can or can’t do. It’s all in our mind.

Enjoy the GTI!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I’m over 3yrs now, longest I’ve ever kept a vehicle
Yeah same. I never kept a vehicle Longer than 3 years. But I am keeping it because OLD IS GOLD!!!! MK6 GTI’s built better and stronger

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Reporting back in from my post back in 2017. Still happily enjoying my GTI. I’ll have owned it 13 years come July 2023. I‘m still under 50k miles. Car has come a long way since stock.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Think of it as reaching another level. Surviving life and waking up the next day. Being a better person. Stronger and wiser. All we have is the moment of now. As I type this. This moment is all that matters. Don’t let your age dictate what you can or can’t do. It’s all in our mind.
Very well stated, and quite true. 1Ashchuckton is a tad older than me but I'm right up there too at 70. It's just a number and if one maintains a positive outlook on life your outcomes are always so much better.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yeah same. I never kept a vehicle Longer than 3 years. But I am keeping it because OLD IS GOLD!!!! MK6 GTI’s built better and stronger

Same here with a few exceptions (had my 69 Camaro for 17 years), it's one of the main reasons I switched to leases finally cause my brain finally realized it was STUPID even if I had mileage charges to keep buying if I was selling literally every 30-38 months. LOL

Now I've flipped because they are not going to be making any decent useful cars anymore, had the Touareg for 4 years and plan to keep it forever, going on 3 years with the Golf R and same plan. Bought out the lease on the TTRS had it 4 years now, I call it part of my retirement plan. Figure being a 1 of 1 car I can sell it at Barrett Jackson in 30 years for about 1/4 million (which by then will be breaking even after adjusting for inflation LMAO). The Allroad will be our last "new" car which was born of necessity after I went back to commuting. It's not perfect so we'll see if I can make it better (lower it day 1, tunes, deal with cladding) and we keep it after lease end, but any new vehicles for us will be used ones.

AM407

Autocross Champion
I plan to keep her to the bitter end. Either she makes it to 200k miles or she explodes. Whichever comes first.
That’s great. (y)

Mine had 190,000 km (118,000 miles) when I sold it and it was still in great shape. Might be some parts to replace along the way, but I’m sure the new owner could take it another 100,000 km if he wants.

Rust is a concern up here though. I would imagine you’d have a much better chance of 200,000 miles down in the southern U.S.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Had my last mk6 gti from when it had like 32 miles until 155k - just over 10 years of ownership until an accident made me want to sell it

I've since purchased my brothers old Mk6 gti which he also owned since like 20 miles on the odometer. 2012 build date.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Bought my GTI used in 2014 with 7,9XX approaching 9 year of ownership in August.
I would say it's been a good 9 years , but not not perfect. Too many waterpumps to count. Think I'll be replacing another one soon .

Love reading the high milage posts gives me great hope that I'll make it close to 200k, plan to keep the car forever. But it will take some time lol. My commutes are short distance . Passed 51,000 recently.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Bought my GTI used in 2014 with 7,9XX approaching 9 year of ownership in August.
I would say it's been a good 9 years , but not not perfect. Too many waterpumps to count. Think I'll be replacing another one soon .

Love reading the high milage posts gives me great hope that I'll make it close to 200k, plan to keep the car forever. But it will take some time lol. My commutes are short distance . Passed 51,000 recently.
Have the updated water pumps failed as well?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Not a MK6 but my MK5 2.0TSI is going strong @ 159k now with stage 2 for half of that. Its been driven pretty hard but still going! Waterpump, 3x fuel injectors, RMS, couple failed PCVs, and other sensors. My DSG mechatronic straight up doesn't let me do the basic settings anymore in VCDS but other than that its got a DSG tune and it drives and shifts great.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Not a MK6 but my MK5 2.0TSI is going strong @ 159k now with stage 2 for half of that. Its been driven pretty hard but still going! Waterpump, 3x fuel injectors, RMS, couple failed PCVs, and other sensors. My DSG mechatronic straight up doesn't let me do the basic settings anymore in VCDS but other than that its got a DSG tune and it drives and shifts great.
dont you think you should change the 4th fuel injector as well? or do you mean you changed all 4... 3x????