GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st gear lag almost caused an accident?

kabz

Ready to race!
It does lag when cold on my DSG. Absolutely. It's only done it once, and only when I tried to 'peel into a gap'.

I believe it's some kind of torque limiter, clutch saver mode when cold. Just gas it when cold (bad idea anyway) and you may see it.

Not turbo lag. Not throttle travel. Something is refusing to command the throttle I asked for and drop the clutch.

The work-around is to make sure you are moving with the (DSG) clutch home, before you ask for any significant acceleration. Just a minor foible.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I think you guys just aren't modulating your clutch/throttle right when you start. Yeah, if you mash it from 5 mph at 700 rpms or whatever, it's going to be slow. That's why people launch at the drag strip by achieving appropriate revs at the start with their gas and clutch pedals. My car drives just fine.

McSwine

Ready to race!
I drove a manual for a year and never had this problem. Then I totaled it (or rather the person who rear-ended me did) and I decided to replace it with a DSG. After six months all I can say is huge mistake. And please, please don't tell me I need to learn the car.

I don't have this problem with my 2012 6M, either. I guess I'm lucky.

yeezy

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol throttle lag for me is just a 1 or 2 second "skip" when the car just boasts foward awkwardly. My foot is not all the way down but i can feel the lag. Very minor... I never got stuck like that. That's really weird and you should get it checked out.

col-buddy-greenleaf

Ready to race!
Basically, I quickly crossed one lane of road, and was waiting in the middle (divided highway ) to merge. As soon as I stop, I see an opening, I push the gas, and.....nothing.....nothing...oh damn that cars about to hit me- OK NOW THE CAR MOVES

jesus this 1st gear lag is noticeable sometimes.

...not a problem with DSG, except maybe the wheelspin...

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Its the programming of the drive by wire. Noticeable when you're in 1st gear, let off throttle, then get back on. The ECU is easing the input for you. You're requesting immediate 100% throttle, it's giving you a slow ramp up to 100%.

It was found in another thread discussing misfires. About halfway down the page, check out the graphs that Grambles posted of the other user's datalog. The charts that show actual vs. requested throttle position display the programming "smoothing out" the inputs. Only DBW would have this, as cable drive links your foot mechanically with the throttle body, allowing immediate, full control of the throttle position.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=687629

I think its supposed to combat torque steer, and coupled with the dual mass flywheel, make shifts smoother and prevent bucking and such. However, in low speed driving situations this program is less helpful. There are a few instances I can remember where this happened and I almost hit another car. Now I just learn to expect it, and roll on the thottle a bit earlier in those cases.

Mckidd

Passed Driver's Ed
Its the programming of the drive by wire. Noticeable when you're in 1st gear, let off throttle, then get back on. The ECU is easing the input for you. You're requesting immediate 100% throttle, it's giving you a slow ramp up to 100%.

It was found in another thread discussing misfires. About halfway down the page, check out the graphs that Grambles posted of the other user's datalog. The charts that show actual vs. requested throttle position display the programming "smoothing out" the inputs. Only DBW would have this, as cable drive links your foot mechanically with the throttle body, allowing immediate, full control of the throttle position.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=687629

I think its supposed to combat torque steer, and coupled with the dual mass flywheel, make shifts smoother and prevent bucking and such. However, in low speed driving situations this program is less helpful. There are a few instances I can remember where this happened and I almost hit another car. Now I just learn to expect it, and roll on the thottle a bit earlier in those cases.

This is excellent! The first graph posted by Grambles shows exactly what we are experiencing. Towards the left of the graph when the RPMs are low the throttle is reacting slower than requested creating the noticeable lag. This proves that this isn't an issue with turbo lag, clutch modulation, etc, but is a result of the ECU programming. It appears that the programmed lag reduces to 0 as the RPMs increase.

Now we just need a tuning company to address this in their remapping.

Mike

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Sprint booster works for you? Sweet!

I gotta check this out next time I see you

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
Sprint booster works for you? Sweet!

I gotta check this out next time I see you

Yea, it's a small dongle, takes 2 min to take off. Clearly doesn't cost $300 to make... but it does it's job (i.e. making the car more responsive).

McQueen77

Banned
wow, ive never experienced any of these problems. weird.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
It takes a little while to get accustomed to it, especially if you have never driven a fwd turbo car before. My biggest problem in the beginning was to let the clutch out without spinning the tires in 1st & 2nd. Gear.