GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI - How to Reset TPMS Light with OBDEleven?

PghDan

Ready to race!
The TPMS light has been on for nearly two years in my 2010 GTI, but now that I finally have an OBDEleven scan tool I'm hoping to resolve that. However, I may need some helpful information from this forum. As an FYI, the 2010 GTI has "direct" TPMS sensors that are installed in each of the four wheels (no fancy ABS monitoring) and there is no reset button in the glove box, center console, or via the dashboard

Originally I think the light came on due to a TPMS sensor malfunctioning in one of my stock wheels. Since that time I have purchased a new set of wheels with four brand new TPMS sensors for use in Spring/Summer/Fall, and I had four replacement TPMS sensors and tires installed on my stock wheels for use in the winter.

So far, via OBDEleven I have:

1. Entered Control Unit "Tire Pressure Monitoring 1"
  2. Entered Adaptations
  3. Accessed Channels 5, 6, 7, and 8 using Security Code 01503
This is where I noticed that each TPMS sensor was looking for 5.5 bar (79.7 psi), so I adjusted that back into spec and set it to 2.4 Bar (34.8 psi).

At this point I thought, problem solved...right? Wrong!

When I started the car and drove for awhile my TPMS light still won't go out. Using OBDEleven I went back into the TPMS Control Unit, then took a look at the Live Data. Each channel shows that all four wheels meet or slightly exceed 34.8 psi, and that all four TPMS sensors still have plenty of remaining battery life.

Next, I went to a gas station and set the pressure to 35 psi again, just to make certain that each wheel was set properly. Again, when I check OBDEleven, each wheel meets or exceeds the required amount, but the light still won't go out.

Now, I found this article on Ross-Tech (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_(3C)_Tire_Pressure_Monitoring) that mentions the following:

"2010 and newer vehicles equipped with the (BCM) 09-Cent. Elect. module have a different coding chart. These models include the Jetta, Golf, Tiguan and Eos and use Long Coding. The [Long Coding Helper] will provide the needed coding information if the original coding cannot be retrieved.

Note: When Replacing/Recoding a Control Module use the Service Coding and alter the Adaptation Channels afterward to their specified Values."

This article seems to clearly indicate (unless I'm not understanding it correctly) that I need to first do some long coding to set the TPMS control unit to "Service" then move on to setting the correct amount of pressure via the Adaptation menu. Unfortunately, the Long Coding Helper linked on the Ross-Tech site just reads like a foreign language to me.

Has anyone done long coding via OBDEleven that can pass along some helpful tips? Or, if I'm lucky enough, is there another 2010 GTI owner out there that has done this same process?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I've been working on tpms cars since 2001 ish and I've never seen anything that was that complicated. With Mercedes diagnostics you could go in and manually enter your sensor ID numbers when they were replaced. This wasn't required tho, you could still reset the system and it would learn itself after driving for approximately 20 min. GM used a set tool and required using the lock/unlock on the remote to enter the programming mode. This process took about 2 minutes... Can you not reset it in the MFI?

PghDan

Ready to race!
I've been working on tpms cars since 2001 ish and I've never seen anything that was that complicated. With Mercedes diagnostics you could go in and manually enter your sensor ID numbers when they were replaced. This wasn't required tho, you could still reset the system and it would learn itself after driving for approximately 20 min. GM used a set tool and required using the lock/unlock on the remote to enter the programming mode. This process took about 2 minutes... Can you not reset it in the MFI?

Unfortunately on 2010 GTI's there is no reset option in the gauge cluster menu. There's no reset button in the glove box either, which started in 2011 when VW switched to indirect TPMS.

When I saw that my TPMS system was looking for 79 psi I was so happy because I assumed correcting that value would fix my problem. When it didn't, I assumed all I needed was to drive around awhile. Then when that didn't fix it, I assumed I would need to air the tires again.

It makes no sense - everything is set correctly and reports back within spec, but the light still won't go out!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hey did you check the link under special notes at the bottom of the link you posted? Couple things worth reading and trying in there. Only other thought I had was to set the spec pressure even lower. I know typically tpms lights come on when they drop around 0.6bar from specified pressure. So maybe try 30ish

zrickety

The Fixer
I personally disabled the TPMS on my cars...I'm not going to keep buying sensors. I check pressures regularly.
That said, they may need to be 'paired' with the car although you say you can already see the values.
Have you ever changed coding for the CAN gateway?? Seems odd everything is working and the light is on.
If you really want TPMS, you can enable the ABS based system and reset it with the dongle or wire up a button.

PghDan

Ready to race!
Hey did you check the link under special notes at the bottom of the link you posted? Couple things worth reading and trying in there. Only other thought I had was to set the spec pressure even lower. I know typically tpms lights come on when they drop around 0.6bar from specified pressure. So maybe try 30ish

Ha, how did I miss that link? That link does mention an absurd paring process that must take place with new sensors so I'll give that a try this weekend. It's weird though - you would think that I wouldn't need to force the car to learn new TPMS sensors that it already recognizes and reports data from.

Also, good idea about setting the bar pressure even lower. For now I lowered it to 2.0 bar which is 29 psi. Hopefully on my next drive this will turn off the light, but if not I'll try the pairing process from Ross-Tech.

I personally disabled the TPMS on my cars...I'm not going to keep buying sensors. I check pressures regularly.
That said, they may need to be 'paired' with the car although you say you can already see the values.
Have you ever changed coding for the CAN gateway?? Seems odd everything is working and the light is on.
If you really want TPMS, you can enable the ABS based system and reset it with the dongle or wire up a button.

No I haven't tried any coding yet, which is why I felt stuck. The "Long Coding Helper" linked in that Ross-Tech article helped me understand the relationship between bytes and bits, but my TPMS module has three bytes (Byte 00, 01, and 02) that each contain 7 Bits, and I don't know which Byte that article was referring to when it mentioned altering the Bits to enter the service code. Plus, each Bit has two fields - a "Value 0" and a "Value 1" that can be altered and I don't understand which one to alter.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
PghDan please keep us posted! I, too, am fighting the same issue.

Thanks!!!

PghDan

Ready to race!
I swear...three and half blissful years of VW ownership without a single serious issue and now I'm starting to f'ing hate this car and can't wait to get rid of it. This car is driving me nuts. Nothing makes sense any more.

Yesterday when I followed the Ross-Tech article (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_TPMS_Systems_without_Wheel_Position_Recognition) for "VW TPMS Systems without Wheel Position Recognition" it still won't work for me. My light still won't go out.

I followed "The Wake-Up Procedure" and "Matching a New Sensor" exactly as written, then went went for a drive as the article states to. Nothing changed. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

OBDEleven still shows that the TPMS module is looking for 2.0 bar (29 psi) at all four wheels, and all four TPMS sensors are 1) reporting back above that amount of pressure, 2) showing tire temperature, and 3) showing plenty of remaining estimated battery life. It doesn't make sense why my light is still on.

Next, I even noticed that the TPMS module has an option to support a second set of wheels, so I swapped over to "Wheel Set 2" in the module (thinking maybe Wheel Set 1 was bugged or glitched somehow) then made certain that the module would only look for 2.0 bar at all four wheels. Still, my light will not go out.

The only options that I have left are to either live with the light on all the time, or disable TPMS.

Sorry guys. I wish I had better news to report.

P.S. I realize that I failed to mention this previously, but my TPMS module is showing fault code P01325 - No or incorrect basic setting/adaptation. Regardless, it hasn't cleared away with everything that I've previously mentioned, and it's a fault code that can't be erased.

Last edited:

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
I disabled mine with the OBDEleven. No light and will check regularly.

PghDan

Ready to race!
Why not contact someone at the local VW shop?

Because I'm going to have to pay to have my rear main seal replaced shortly, and don't want to pay any more money than I need to. Who knows, maybe some time this spring or summer I'll have a VW dealer sort it out for me, but it's more of an annoyance having that light on all the time than a real problem.

TuyeElson

Have you addressed the dealer with your problem, I think that they have met with such a problem before and will be able to solve it? I usually address them or to a car service to repair my car because I have had times when I broke my car even more when I was trying to repair it by myself. I have bought a diagnostic device from thinkdiag.co.uk, and when I need to repair my car fast and don't have time to get it to the dealer, I use it to find the fault, it helps me to save time and not break anything else.

Last edited:

Slixx

Any resolution with this. I have the exact same problem

Attachments

• uuid=9F12AB18-AB60-4CB8-BA6C-14E870A8DAA5&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg
    uuid=9F12AB18-AB60-4CB8-BA6C-14E870A8DAA5&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 37