GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 - 36000 miles - Lost 2 quarts of oil

MrTocs

Ready to race!
2012 - 36000 miles currently. 8000 miles since the last oil change.

Okay I'm not a grandma with driving my car. 3/5th city (which i'm semi aggressive) the rest highway.

Is this normal??? I don't see a leak either in the engine compartment nor a leak in the parking spot. What should I be looking for or telling the service department?

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
2012 - 36000 miles currently. 8000 miles since the last oil change.

Okay I'm not a grandma with driving my car. 3/5th city (which i'm semi aggressive) the rest highway.

Is this normal??? I don't see a leak either in the engine compartment nor a leak in the parking spot. What should I be looking for or telling the service department?

Unfortunately VW considers it to be normal. I change my oil every 5K and dont lose any.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah it's "considered normal." These engines burn oil. Mine went thru a phase when it almost burned ALL of it before my oil was changed, then after that never had an issue with it again.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Mine is the same. Just keep up with the routine oil changes and make sure there are no leaks.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
VW is not alone, it is totally normal for turbo charged engines to use oil.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Most manufacturers claim 1qt/1000 miles is "normal". Mine uses probably a qt ever 5k.

Get in the habit of checking it when you fill up.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
My 2012 is at 60k and has done the same thing since I drove it off the lot with 20 miles on the clock.

Just check it every 1k, and add a little if it gets low.

zrickety

The Fixer
My car consumed Castrol but doesn't with Mobil 1.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
My car consumed Castrol but doesn't with Mobil 1.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Strange...My gf's A3 never had a low oil level light come on for 25k miles with Castrol. At 25k miles, I changed her oil using Mobil 1 0w-40 and at 30k miles, her low oil level light came on. My GTI haven't had the light come on yet, but I do check the oil and it hovers on the low end of the stick. But never to a point where the light comes on.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
But never to a point where the light comes on.

The light is less likely to come on in normal driving than it is during hard right turns. The oil pickup is on the right side of the pan and if you're running low it'll slosh to the left and you'll get a loud beep and it'll say loss of oil pressure. That means you need more. But if you pay attention to it on a regular basis and keep it at the right level, you might not ever reach that point.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
I keep an extra quart of oil and top it off every 1k or so miles until the quart is all used up and then the next time it needs to be topped off I change the oil, usually comes to around 7.5k miles or so which works for me.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
I noticed within the 4k miles into my current oil change interval I lost around 1/4 of a quart, so it isn't too bad, but I just make it a routine to check my oil at least every two weeks. I haven't topped it off yet because I should still be good til 5k when I'll do my oil change then.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I just change my oil every 5k miles. I never have a issue doing that.

greatht

Same 12 GTI at 34.5k, 1.5k since last oil change and did a oil stick check this morning. The level is close to min comparing to close to max when oil was changed. I am about to fill some castrol edge this weekend. I am considering switching to mobil1 0w40 for the winter, any problem with that?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk