GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 MK6 vs. 2009 Civic Si (FA5)

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
:laugh: Get real.

You're right about the civic not being a performance car. But as far as not being able to compete with the GTI, that's hilarious.

Hell, my old set up was average by modded 8th gen standards and it would have absolutely destroyed any GTI without a ko4... and was just as fast if not faster than most ko4 GTIs.

You can make ANY car compete with any car. For anyone to say this car will never be able to compete with another car is foolish, however mod for mod the GTI is better performance wise than a civic. Since the GTI comes turbo'd from the factory it would be hard for a civic to beat a GTI mod for mod (this is assuming that a GTI would be able to upgrade their turbo if the civic gets a turbo)

maisonvi

Ready to race!
Just not a fan. They can be pretty quick for pretty cheap... A friend of mine had one with a i/dp/tune and ran 12s. But sold it because his turbo hondas were way faster, less finicky, and more fun to drive. To each his own though.

Curious what turbo Honda was way faster? I know the speeds aren't geared well for 1/4 times, but power wise with a intake/downpipe/ic and tune you can make 300whp. 330 with E85.

I dont know much of the Honda world but I thought that was a lot harder for them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

CarEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
What mods? (Honest question, I swear!)

My old set up? Just bolt ons and aftercooled m62 blower. Nothing special. I could have pushed a little bit more out of the set up but I just had enough of it.

You can make ANY car compete with any car. For anyone to say this car will never be able to compete with another car is foolish, however mod for mod the GTI is better performance wise than a civic. Since the GTI comes turbo'd from the factory it would be hard for a civic to beat a GTI mod for mod (this is assuming that a GTI would be able to upgrade their turbo if the civic gets a turbo)

Agreed.

Mod for mod, the GTI has a slight advantage up until you get into forced induction. But nothing significant. Once you go turbo on the civic it starts become a little less fair though.

CarEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious what turbo Honda was way faster? I know the speeds aren't geared well for 1/4 times, but power wise with a intake/downpipe/ic and tune you can make 300whp. 330 with E85.

I dont know much of the Honda world but I thought that was a lot harder for them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

A 400+ hp 8th gen, 500+ hp 8th gen (yes, he has two) and a 400ish hp Integra.

No.... it's far from difficult to make power in Hondas. Really the only reason I still have one.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
My old set up? Just bolt ons and aftercooled m62 blower. Nothing special. I could have pushed a little bit more out of the set up but I just had enough of it.

Agreed.

Mod for mod, the GTI has a slight advantage up until you get into forced induction. But nothing significant. Once you go turbo on the civic it starts become a little less fair though.

Unless you turbo or supercharge a civic I don't think it would only be a slight difference. A stage 2 GTI should be a significant difference over a FBO civic.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
It's easy to make big power in Hondas with F/I, much more than with GTIs. But staying N/A with full bolt ons and tune they will NOT be as fast as a stage2+ GTI in a straight line. They're great cars though!

maisonvi

Ready to race!
A 400+ hp 8th gen, 500+ hp 8th gen (yes, he has two) and a 400ish hp Integra.

No.... it's far from difficult to make power in Hondas. Really the only reason I still have one.

wow forced induction makes a difference I guess, more than I thought at least.. You have to build the motor to get those numbers? I know the speed is good up to about 400/400 before you need to start worrying about building.

CarEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
Unless you turbo or supercharge a civic I don't think it would only be a slight difference. A stage 2 GTI should be a significant difference over a FBO civic.

I disagree.

I ran neck and neck with a stage 2 GTI when I was fully bolted and tuned. I was probably only putting down 210-220 ish at the wheels at most.

A lot of it could have been down to the drivers though. I'd say an equal driver in each would be faster in the GTI.

My point is, it's really not that significant. It's amazing how much faster a stage 2 GTI feels than a bolt on Si, when in reality the difference is not nearly that much. At the end of the day though, both are slow as balls, so it's really insignificant lol

wow forced induction makes a difference I guess, more than I thought at least.. You have to build the motor to get those numbers? I know the speed is good up to about 400/400 before you need to start worrying about building.

To get 500+ on a K series you absolutely have to do some engine work if you want to do it right, although there have been some to reach 500whp stock block. I would never attempt though.

But you can run a reliable 400-450 whp on an otherwise stock engine.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
To get 500+ on a K series you absolutely have to do some engine work if you want to do it right, although there have been some to reach 500whp stock block. I would never attempt though.

But you can run a reliable 400-450 whp on an otherwise stock engine.

So you can run 400-450whp on an 8th gen civic, without upgrading stock internals? FBO, tune, and bolt on turbo or s/c?

That's crazy...:eek:

CarEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
So you can run 400-450whp on an 8th gen civic, without upgrading stock internals? FBO, tune, and bolt on turbo or s/c?

That's crazy...:eek:

Yes... all day every day. Stock internals. My friend DDs his 400hp 8th gen (his power varies but he he never takes it over 450), as do many.

To make 400whp on a 8th gen a turbo kit is all you need.

It's possible with a s/c. But not near as easy on the roots style blower I had. It requires a lot of extra stuff and is pretty uncommon to see.

Basic rule of thumb is, you'll easily be at around 300-350whp with a roots blower depending on supporting mods and 400-500hp with a turbo. 500 or even 600+ whp with a turbo is doable, but would obviously require some serious engine work.

There is also a rotrex s/c kit out for the Si and I think it is good for about 450whp.

maisonvi

Ready to race!
Yes... all day every day. Stock internals. My friend DDs his 400hp 8th gen (his power varies but he he never takes it over 450), as do many.

To make 400whp on a 8th gen a turbo kit is all you need.

It's possible with a s/c. But not near as easy on the roots style blower I had. It requires a lot of extra stuff and is pretty uncommon to see.

Basic rule of thumb is, you'll easily be at around 300-350whp with a roots blower depending on supporting mods and 400-500hp with a turbo. 500 or even 600+ whp with a turbo is doable, but would obviously require some serious engine work.

There is also a rotrex s/c kit out for the Si and I think it is good for about 450whp.

How much does it cost to make a civic turbo? Standalone ECU needed?

Yo.SeungHyun

Ready to race!
Not that much. My 8th was boosted too and made just shy of 400whp. The motor is great but the tranny is garbage, especially 2nd gear

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Not that much. My 8th was boosted too and made just shy of 400whp. The motor is great but the tranny is garbage, especially 2nd gear

Ah yes. the infamous 8th gen Civic SI manual trans problems.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
whats the normal issue? know a guy at work that says his 3rd gear doesnt always like to engage. common?

Very. There's a TSB out there for it. They've been replacing them.

need the number?