GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 MK6 vs. 2009 Civic Si (FA5)

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
What? A car that runs high 13s low 14s isn't enough to keep up with a stage 2?

No. I ran 13.9 with just a Stage 1 tune, literally everything else stock down to the tire pressure and even left the big full size spare in the trunk...

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
^^lulz. i'm actually tired of wasting my time with drivers who try to race me when i'm just on my way to work, or running errands. :)

same here, even people with pos civics (non ricer ones), or even 4cyl accords try to race me and i just ignore them :lol: funny enough those always happens when i don't wanna race

BlownFa5

Banned
GTI Stage 2 - which can get into the high 13s (many people have go look on youtube)

Tune - $700 (APR sale fully loaded)
Intake - $300 (Carbonio)
DP - $500 ish (Can use a $150 ebay one)

Pricing is not even close.

Take out the pointless stuff that didn't add to his time and add the $1500+ extra the GTI costs, and the pricing is dead on.

Enough with the pricing argument already

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Take out the pointless stuff that didn't add to his time and add the $1500+ extra the GTI costs, and the pricing is dead on.

Enough with the pricing argument already

lol back to the $1500 in extra costs. That doesn't mean anything because that $1500 is gained elsewhere. I am talking about cost once the car is bought to keep up with each other.

If you have to resort back to the whole my car cost less from dealer BS then I take it my point has been made.

BlownFa5

Banned
lol back to the $1500 in extra costs. That doesn't mean anything because that $1500 is gained elsewhere. I am talking about cost once the car is bought to keep up with each other.

If you have to resort back to the whole my car cost less from dealer BS then I take it my point has been made.

Very convenient for you, isn't it? Let's talk about cost when it favors the GTI, but not when it doesn't. Got it.

BlownFa5

Banned
Custom 3.5" intake - $100
Kidd racing header - $250
flashpro + tune $650
3" exhaust - $450

There we go. $1450 out the door with a setup that will run high 13s with a decent driver.

#Becausebudgetmodder

BlownFa5

Banned
No. I ran 13.9 with just a Stage 1 tune, literally everything else stock down to the tire pressure and even left the big full size spare in the trunk...

That is a very good time. But I don't suspect many 6 speed guys are doing that. I would give the stage 2 dsg a relatively clear advantage over a bolt on Si

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
That is a very good time. But I don't suspect many 6 speed guys are doing that. I would give the stage 2 dsg a relatively clear advantage over a bolt on Si
Even a lot of the 6 speed stage 2 guys are close or at mid 13's on regular street tires....

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Very convenient for you, isn't it? Let's talk about cost when it favors the GTI, but not when it doesn't. Got it.

smh... you are just making excuses.

I can go buy a used car for under what both the GTI and Civic cost new that will blow them away, so your cost from purchasing makes no sense, it has nothing to do with pricing convenience. The initial price of the car is not in question here its how much it costs to beat a stage 2 GTI.

Custom 3.5" intake - $100
Kidd racing header - $250
flashpro + tune $650
3" exhaust - $450

There we go. $1450 out the door with a setup that will run high 13s with a decent driver.

#Becausebudgetmodder

Stage 2 GTI price - $1000 - this can get cheaper with a custom intake as well.
Civic -$1450.... you proved my point

You just said above "with a decent driver" and now you are turning around saying most people can't pull a 13 with a stage 1 GTI even though it has been done? If you want to use a "decent driver" then our times will reflect a decent driver.

Last edited:

BlownFa5

Banned
Lets just keep it about numbers... 90% of the Si's with these mods you mention (i/h/e/tune) are in the 14's....thats not beating a stage 2 GTI.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/auto...-realisitc-i-h-e-flashpro-1-4-mile-times.html

Anything higher than a 14.2 is either due to a bad driver or bad parts or a tune. That is fast enough to stay with a stage 2 GTI.

Ok.. so a stage 2 GTI is slightly less slow than a bolt on Si? :clap: This isn't news to me.

Even a lot of the 6 speed stage 2 guys are close or at mid 13's on regular street tires....

Links? I believe you, but that's quicker than I thought. I expected 13.8s and up (on average)

smh... you are just making excuses.

I can go buy a used car for under what both the GTI and Civic cost new that will blow them away, so your cost from purchasing makes no sense, it has nothing to do with pricing convenience. The initial price of the car is not in question here its how much it costs to beat a stage 2 GTI.

Stage 2 GTI price - $1000
Civic -$1450.... you proved my point

You just said above "with a decent driver" and now you are turning around saying most people can't pull a 13 with a stage 1 GTI even though it has been done? If you want to use a "decent driver" then our times will reflect a decent driver.

Comparing two NEW cars with similar performance is not the same as comparing a used car. And when you compare new cars, price is important. If the cost of initial purchase doesn't matter then why do the price of mods? (which are still relatively inexpensive for either vehicle)

The idea that someone would worry about an extra $500 or even $1000 when modifying their car is completely idiotic. If that is your only argument for the GTI, then... :lol:

Most people with 6 speed stage 1s are running high 13s?

I've seen a bolt on si run a 13.7 on street tires. Doesn't mean its the norm.

Last edited:

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Comparing two NEW cars with similar performance is not the same as comparing a used car. And when you compare new cars, price is important. If the cost of initial purchase doesn't matter then why do the price of mods? (which are still relatively inexpensive for either vehicle)

The idea that someone would worry about an extra $500 or even $1000 when modifying their car is completely idiotic. If that is your only argument for the GTI, then... :lol:

Most people with 6 speed stage 1s are running high 13s?

I've seen a bolt on si run a 13.7 on street tires. Doesn't mean its the norm.

If you are buying a new civic or GTI and are paying for performance alone you are an idiot anyways. Both theses cars are slow, there are many other reasons why people buy them so new pricing means nothing. You just switched back over to this argument once i proved my point.

Most people don't run 13s on stage 1 just like most people don't run what you claim from a civic. If you get to use your times with a good driver then we do, that's all I'm saying.

Are you insane? an extra $500-$1000 is idiotic? I didn't know we were speaking to Donald Trump over here. $1000 can go a long way to make that 2 GTI even better, hell it's almost half way to a K04. Also you were just trying to argue that the pricing is cheaper or the same to make a Civic beat a GTI and now you are turning around saying $500-$1000 difference is nothing? You're going downhill man.

BlownFa5

Banned
If you are buying a new civic or GTI and are paying for performance alone you are an idiot anyways. Both theses cars are slow, there are many other reasons why people buy them so new pricing means nothing. You just switched back over to this argument once i proved my point.

Are you insane? an extra $500-$1000 is idiotic? I didn't know we were speaking to Donald Trump over here. $1000 can go a long way to make that 2 GTI even better, hell it's almost half way to a K04. Also you were just trying to argue that the pricing is cheaper or the same to make a Civic beat a GTI and now you are turning around saying $500-$1000 difference is nothing? You're going downhill man.

People buy these cars because they are cheap and reliable. I'm not talking about any other variable besides performance. If we're going to talk about performance per dollar, then let's truly talk about performance per dollar.

I bought my civic for 19.5 out the door some years back. You better believe I wasn't quoted a price on a GTI with in several thousand of that. That definitely went into my decision, considering the car was a better handling, lighter car, with a better engine.

No, I'm perfectly sane. Someone modding their car that is worried about having to spend an extra couple of hundred dollars here and there obviously can't afford it, and shouldn't be modifying their car to begin with. Never once did I say it was cheaper to mod the Civic. But when you look into total cost of the essentials they are pretty damn close.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
No, I'm perfectly sane. Someone modding their car that is worried about having to spend an extra couple of hundred dollars here and there obviously can't afford it, and shouldn't be modifying their car to begin with. Never once did I say it was cheaper to mod the Civic. But when you look into total cost of the essentials they are pretty damn close.

I'm not even going to talk about purchase price anymore because you simply resorted to that once your arguments were proven false, and you said I was playing the convenience card.

You are spinning my words to help your argument. No where did I say I didn't mind spending money to mod a car but if I can do 2 different mods and option A costs $1000 and option B costs $2000 and they yield the same results, you are telling me that I shouldn't be modding my car because I chose option A?

You already agreed it was anywhere from $500-$1000 extra to make a civic keep up with the GTI which is what we were talking about all along. From the beginning we began talking about modding costs but because it was shown it was cheaper to mod the GTI you switched the conversation over to base price costs and the extra money is chump change topic.

Also if extra money isn't an issue why didn't you spend the extra money and buy the GTI or something similar? That way once you own the car dollar for dollar you will have a faster car?

Last edited: