GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k Service - Outright Extortion!!!

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all - I just got my car serviced for the 4 Year/60k (kms) interval, its a 2011 GTI DSG. I'm based in Abu Dhabi in the UAE. The bloody service cost me approx. $1,000!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I'd posed queries here a couple months back about the approximate cost in the US, which is where I was before moving here, and the highest cost mentioned was about $700. Whats more shocking is that the technicians and other staff here are paid a fraction of they pay in the US, something like a third or maybe even a quarter of the US pay. On top of that, there are no taxes. So it truly seems like a rip-off to me.

I'm not very competent and DIY service, but may seriously consider it now.

I guess this also points to a good opportunity for an independent service company….

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
My TDI service was quoted at 1k as well.

I did it myself for $200.

DSG service is really expensive.

zrickety

The Fixer
Definitely DIY, it's no more difficult than an oil change.

Vroomer

Banned
Its 1K in Canada too, keep in mind that involves a lot more then just DSG oil change, so those are normal dealership services charges. Just do what I did and get DSG done at an independent shop for much less and do the rest your self.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Your mad you paid more money in the UAE vs the US?
Im no rocket scientist but every country would be different in price just like Canada pays more for their cars than we do.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I DIY'd everything except for the DSG service which I had done at the dealer for $220

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
you can find the kit on amazon reasonably priced, then have a local euro shop do it for you, I got charged an hour for it definitely less than $300 bucks

SyDiko

Ready to race!
If you have your dealer do the 40K AND DSG, expect to pay between $650 - $900 USD.

If you do it yourself, it should be significantly less.
- Oil Change + Filter ($30-$40, if the motor oil is on sale.)
- The DSG Fluid + Filter kit ($150)
- Alignment/Rotation ($70)
- OEM Cabin Air Filter ($10~)
- Spark Plugs ($100~)
- Several once overs to make sure everything looks okay. (Inspection.)

I believe that's what both services include altogether.

Last edited:

plat

Ready to race!
I just had my 30K service on my vehicle done by my VW dealer. To my knowledge, this service will just run to about $175 to $200 but I was surprised to receive a bill for $320 something. I looked at their invoice and I found out that they flushed and filled the brake system. While this service was not included in the list of standard services under the 30K Maintenance Work in the VW manual, I just bit the bullet and paid for it because I know the benefits of flushing and filling the brake system and it was too late to back out of it anyway. But, I did tell them not to touch the cabin filter since I replaced it when my vehicle hit 25k. Just to let you know, when I checked my vehicle in for service, I did ask them for a run down of what they plan to do for that service interval. My SA went through the regular menu items for that service interval and that's why I told them not to touch the cabin filter. I signed the paperwork authorizing the service but didn't catch the work order for the Brake System flush and fill. My SA didn't mentioned it either. When I came back and picked up my vehicle that's when they hit me with a large bill. I just have to be smarter next time and be more thorough.

The moral of the story is that a lot of VW (and probably other brand) dealerships charge for extra services that are not really part of the scheduled service work. Next time I bring in my vehicle for service, I will ask them what kind of work they will perform on the vehicle and just get them to do the essentials. For example, at 40K, just get them to do the DSG flush and fill, Oil change, and other work that you cannot do on your own. Doing this will help keep your bill in check. I tend to do the simple stuff on my own such as replacing spark plugs or the cabin and engine air filters. If, for example, they want to do a brake system flush and fill and you feel that you don't need it, ask them to exclude it from the service. They'll try to get away and offer you a service that is above and beyond what VW (the factory) requires just to get extra business from you. Be informed, read your vehicle's manual and consider only having the essentials done. Anything beyond it may be just them squeezing you for more money.

Last edited:

p4kk0

Passed Driver's Ed
^^My 30K service included brake flush at no extra charge at the dealership. It sounds like they took advantage of you.

finklejag

Ready to race!
40K service on our cars consist of

Oil and filter change
DSG fluid change
Cabin filter change
Rotate tires

Air filter and spark plugs are at 60K per manual.

I would think most of that cost was for the DSG fluid and labor.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
will keep this in mind. My 40K service is coming up in a few months.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
I'm amazed when I get out of the dealer for service and the bill is under $300. They've always been upfront with me that the 40K service bills are expensive. I'd rather do that than drive a Toyota. Clearly the DIY'ers can save a bundle, but I'm not good beyond changing a tire.