GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone ever regret modding or tuning?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
The GTI is by far the easiest car to mod. Most people go pretty much the same route, but tweak a few things to make them a little unique.

I think that's why the GTI is such a popular car. You can do so little and get so much out of it at the same time. I haven't had a single regret since I started modding my car, and I don't think I will. If you're not prepared for some issues, then you shouldn't mod your car :p

I haven't modded my GTI at all, and one of the reasons is I think the coolest thing about modding is having a unique car. I feel like stock GTIs are more unique than the standard "Carbonio, APR stage 2, etc..." not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm thinking about APR stage one myself. Also, my GTI is my first brand new car and it's just so nice and trouble free as a DD, I really don't want to screw that up!

However, I spent about $5k modding the Civic I had prior to this and didn't regret it at all, I loved that car and enjoyed it for 5 years and spent waay less than I do just making payments on the GTI. I'd say modding is worth iit if you're careful, thoughtful and love the car.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
My theory is mod what needs improvement and for me that really only was power. A stock gti is pretty great already. Be very careful with suspension mods since that is quite easy to screw up.

Trevolutionary

Ready to race!
I did on my last car. I went too far, spent too much money (9k spent on a Mazda3 lol). It was a good lesson for me and I don't regret it.

With this car I knew exactly when to quit. Had it all done in the 1st month of ownership and left it alone.

Dude you last car was well done. I don't blame you for the time/money you put into it, it was good attempt at a reasonable small car platform.

Saying that, I recognize that the money I spent on my Mazda was kind of wasted. Slow car, not NEARLY as well built as the mk6, suspension kicked ass (but also kicked my ass lol) and the thing was rusting after 5 years of ownership.

I have a totally different plan with my GTI. Make sure I keep it clean/protected/maintained, small tasteful mods, don't touch the suspension for a while, no stickerz, MOAR BOOST! Not once will I regret the modifications I do to the VW; this time there will be way more planning.

rblgti

Go Kart Champion
I haven't modded my GTI at all, and one of the reasons is I think the coolest thing about modding is having a unique car. I feel like stock GTIs are more unique than the standard "Carbonio, APR stage 2, etc..." not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm thinking about APR stage one myself. Also, my GTI is my first brand new car and it's just so nice and trouble free as a DD, I really don't want to screw that up!

However, I spent about $5k modding the Civic I had prior to this and didn't regret it at all, I loved that car and enjoyed it for 5 years and spent waay less than I do just making payments on the GTI. I'd say modding is worth iit if you're careful, thoughtful and love the car.

I mean, everyone is different in what they like. I had no problems with my GTI when it was stock (except for buying the car with ugly aftermarket wheels), I actually still had a lot of fun with it. It's just that I was coming from a 911 and wanted just a little bit more power. The Stage 1 makes a HUGE difference, and I'm glad that's where I started.

I've had my tune since April and I don't regret a thing. I've had 0 issues with the car since I got it back at the end of March. If you're careful and know what you're doing, then modding your car doesn't have to be a headache.

Looking forward to my Stage II/DP in a couple weeks. I'm sure I won't regret that either haha :)

McQueen77

Banned
I dont understand why anyone would mess with the suspension on the car, but whatever. Simple ecu flash and intake, or no intake and imo its perfect. I spent a grand to bring the car to its potential without pushing factory limits too much. Dont plan on spending more. That still only makes it a 25k car; not bad...

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I don't look at it as a $25k car that I put $10k of mods I should have gotten a $35k. Because that would be a stock $35k car that I would still put $10k (probably more since it's a more expensive car) in mods in to.

If I wanted to keep a car stock I'd buy a Prius.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I dont understand why anyone would mess with the suspension on the car, but whatever. Simple ecu flash and intake, or no intake and imo its perfect. I spent a grand to bring the car to its potential without pushing factory limits too much. Dont plan on spending more. That still only makes it a 25k car; not bad...

Just like how you didn't understand how people tune these cars LOL

Simply for A LOT better handling characteristics and much better looks.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
I don't look at it as a $25k car that I put $10k of mods I should have gotten a $35k. Because that would be a stock $35k car that I would still put $10k (probably more since it's a more expensive car) in mods in to.

If I wanted to keep a car stock I'd buy a Prius.
this.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Dude you last car was well done. I don't blame you for the time/money you put into it, it was good attempt at a reasonable small car platform.

Saying that, I recognize that the money I spent on my Mazda was kind of wasted. Slow car, not NEARLY as well built as the mk6, suspension kicked ass (but also kicked my ass lol) and the thing was rusting after 5 years of ownership.

I have a totally different plan with my GTI. Make sure I keep it clean/protected/maintained, small tasteful mods, don't touch the suspension for a while, no stickerz, MOAR BOOST! Not once will I regret the modifications I do to the VW; this time there will be way more planning.

Thanks :thumbsup: It was a good exercise in turning wrenches, getting my hands dirty and learning/teaching/inspiring others.

I love the GTI, great stock platform that didn't need nearly as much work to make enjoyable as its already excellent out of the box.

My next car, I'll probably only tint the windows lol.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
I disagree, it's a standard that a car lowered looks better...how lower is the point that is subjective :p

Much beyond an inch and you've screwed it up dynamically. Lots of guys here have for the sake of looks. Makes me sad cause the car is so good...:(

Last edited:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
My last car was a Focus that I spent about $2k for mods on. Some were stupid (intake, tune, engine mount). Others were great (wheels/tires, brake pads, suspension, short shifter, CD player).

I don't really have plans to mod the GTI. It would be nice to pick up some wheels at some point, hopefully used. And when the dampers need change-out, I'll upgrade to drivergear springs. Maybe somewhere in the mix would be an S3 shifter and intercooler, and a stage 1 tune.

However those are all just dreams right now. I'm trying not to sink money into this car because I'd like to eventually trade up to an M3, 335i, 911, Cayman S. Or buy a toy like a Miata, old Porsche, motorcycle, or whatever. I'd have a harder time doing that if I were to buy mods and lose money on them. And if I were to lose money on increased repairs due to mods (springs cause dampers to die quicker, tune will kill a clutch) then I really will never get there lol.

rblgti

Go Kart Champion
My last car was a Focus that I spent about $2k for mods on. Some were stupid (intake, tune, engine mount). Others were great (wheels/tires, brake pads, suspension, short shifter, CD player).

I don't really have plans to mod the GTI. It would be nice to pick up some wheels at some point, hopefully used. And when the dampers need change-out, I'll upgrade to drivergear springs. Maybe somewhere in the mix would be an S3 shifter and intercooler, and a stage 1 tune.

Sounds like you have SOME plans haha :p

I'm trying not to sink money into this car because I'd like to eventually trade up to an M3, 335i, 911, Cayman S. Or buy a toy like a Miata, old Porsche, motorcycle, or whatever. I'd have a harder time doing that if I were to buy mods and lose money on them. And if I were to lose money on increased repairs due to mods (springs cause dampers to die quicker, tune will kill a clutch) then I really will never get there lol.

You won't get much for what you pay for a BMW. I'd STRONGLY suggest the Cayman S or 911. Older Porsches are just a pain to maintain and fix and my old Miata just didn't have enough power to be considered "fun" (but that's my personal opinion). I love my 996 to death and wouldn't ever get rid of it unless it was for another Porsche...and I intend to do that for a new Cayman S ;)

And a Stage 1 tune won't kill your clutch. I've been fine since I got mine (APR Stage 1). Those "horror stories" that you hear are from people who beat their cars to death. If you're not crazy with it, you'll be fine. That's what I've experienced, at least.