GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone ever regret modding or tuning?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
ha! amazing, there are others like me out there. this is good to know. i always had old cars up until getting a new truck in 2001. while everyone else on here just can't wait til their 3 year lease is up to get something new, i can't wait for my car to get older. it feels too new to me too. i always look at these old A4s, the mid 2000s ones with the shorter, smaller more euro body design and I love them. I saw one the other day, the guy obviously had an a/m exhaust etc. and I don't know, I just loved it. I thought, I should have dropped like $12k on a used audi and just driven it into the ground.

I agree, I definitely miss having older car, and unlike most on here who get tired of their cars, I definitely love my GTI more and more, I think after I've had it for five years or so, I'll really feel like it's my car. I definitely want to get an older car as a project as soon as I can. But that has been a factor in my decision not to mod. This GTI might be my first and last brand new car, but I hope to keep it for 10-15 years.

McQueen77

Banned
cool, yeah, im fine with that. im one of the few guys who loves the noise pipe that went away on the '11 models I believe. my friend has a '12 and even with k04, its quieter than my GTI. i'm not into that. i know the noisepipe is just a more organic soundaktor, but I like it.

i think most cars just get worse with every passing model. more crap, more packages, more tech and more shit that can go wrong. ultimately i would get good enough working on the GTI that i could keep it for 20 years, but its far too complex for me. thus the desire for the old porshe. i could work on that.

i went with a friend to check out the new S4 the other week and I figured, what the hell, Ill pretend im in the market just to drive a few Audis. Drove a '12 A5 and the salesmen wouldn't shut up about all the stupid technology shit. At one point I just turned off the radio and all that crap, turned off the AC, rolled the windows down and was like "i dont care". those cars are just beyond with the tech scene. he's like "look it has the facebook audi interface" or something and I just couldn't believe it. how have people gotten so boring and retarded that they actually care and want to check their facebook while they are driving? but that is for another thread.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Jesus! Facebook in a car? That's depressing. I must admit, although I don't NEED bluetooth or anything, it's cool to have in my DD. I have a base GTI and I think it has more than everything I need though. But in terms of something like a weekend car, I really just miss having a simple car that's built for driving exclusively.

McQueen77

Banned
i agree, there are a few little things i love like bluetooth, heated seats, iPod and SD card stereo, stuff like that. but once you start getting into the like, BMW scroll wheel whatever its called iDrive or whatever it is, it just seems like a car accident waiting to happen. BMW has this thing its like BMW office or something with all this garbage on that giant screen that you can scroll through etc.. when i got this GTI and i wanted this CPO one, he tried hard to sell me on a new one with Nav and just could not believe I didnt want nav. I said "I have it on my phone" and left it at that.

Geofux

Ready to race!
new cars just stress me out. every little nick or scratch etc.. i keep waiting for this one to be broken in more. only 24k miles on it and its almost a 3 year old car. I gotta start driving this thing more. not to mention the money. i guess im cheap or maybe just practical but this car was basically $26k if you can't the mods Ive done and that means that, unless I drive it for ten years, I will feel like I am just pissing money away.

I agree with you completely... I'm so anal about my GTI because it's newer, and I want to keep it pristine. But it's a car, and I drive it a lot so it's just not feasible. I've been lucky so far on no nicks or major scratches (lots of rock chips though .. even with 3m), especially for being at 65k km's.

Ideally I'll get into a nice truck as a daily, and then get something old again. I miss having older cars that stand out. They get a different response than the newer cars.

r3vo_0816

Ready to race!
Every mod iv done to my car, a problem has occurred and I mean EVERY mod. It's like they go hand in hand with me (it may be that I have really bad luck lol) but in a way, like everyone else, I regret putting as much money in this car as I have. Especially as a college student.

Revo Stage 2- Clutch slipped to the point where it was undriveable

DG shortshifter- when torquing the bolt, the whole bolt snapped an had to drill a hole and extend the thread.

H&R super sport springs- Shop forgot to torque the axel bolt and I had to replace my axel bearing

Downpipe- accidentally split the oxygen sensor in half

Iv put almost just as much money into fixing the problems the mods(and myself) caused then the actual mods.

I'm at the VW dealership at this very moment getting my manifold and coil packs replaced because they blew.. FML

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I would start to wonder if it's the car, mechanic/tuner, or bad luck. I still think messing with brakes or suspension is asking for problems though.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
i agree, there are a few little things i love like bluetooth, heated seats, iPod and SD card stereo, stuff like that. but once you start getting into the like, BMW scroll wheel whatever its called iDrive or whatever it is, it just seems like a car accident waiting to happen. BMW has this thing its like BMW office or something with all this garbage on that giant screen that you can scroll through etc.. when i got this GTI and i wanted this CPO one, he tried hard to sell me on a new one with Nav and just could not believe I didnt want nav. I said "I have it on my phone" and left it at that.

Lol my sales guy said "to be honest, there really isn't a point in spending the extra for the nav package, you can get a tomtom for $150, or use your phone"

So far I don't regret modding my car at all. In less than 3 months of ownership and 3800 miles I've done Modshack Intake, APR Stage 2, and UR downpipe (metal cat/res) and I'm very happy with the car.

Then again I'm at a stage in my life where I make decent money and don't have a family depending on me so I don't mind putting money into my car, fully knowing that in 10 years I may have 1-2 people relying on me. So I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Powling

Ready to race!
Lol my sales guy said "to be honest, there really isn't a point in spending the extra for the nav package, you can get a tomtom for $150, or use your phone"

So far I don't regret modding my car at all. In less than 3 months of ownership and 3800 miles I've done Modshack Intake, APR Stage 2, and UR downpipe (metal cat/res) and I'm very happy with the car.

Then again I'm at a stage in my life where I make decent money and don't have a family depending on me so I don't mind putting money into my car, fully knowing that in 10 years I may have 1-2 people relying on me. So I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

EXACTLY the situation I'm in right now. I figure I might as well do stuff while I have the money there rather than penny pinch it later on in life.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

He was "honest", but also was trying to sell you the car he actually had on the lot ;) it goes both ways.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
He was "honest", but also was trying to sell you the car he actually had on the lot ;) it goes both ways.

He didn't have my car on the lot, he had one with nav though, I had to wait about a week or 2 to get my car.

but I see how a Sales person would do that
:thumbsup:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
He didn't have my car on the lot, he had one with nav though, I had to wait about a week or 2 to get my car.

but I see how a Sales person would do that
:thumbsup:

dang! honest sales guy really WAS 100% honest! ;)

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
dang! honest sales guy really WAS 100% honest! ;)

I certainly wasn't expecting it, nor was I expecting the 3lbs of pop corn they sent me a few weeks later.

I do wish I did my homework and knew that the Xeno lights came with the nav package though, i thought they were just in the Autobahn, would have went with that over the sun/conv that I got

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
I do wish I did my homework and knew that the Xeno lights came with the nav package though, i thought they were just in the Autobahn

Made the same mistake. Only regret with the choice I made is not getting the Xenons.