GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone recommend a good fuel injector cleaner?

crew219

Banned
Red Line SI-1 has the highest % of PolyEther Amine's @ 30-50%. This is what cleans the fuel system. Chevron Techron Fuel system Cleaner is a close second. The Chevron Fuel Injection Cleaner posted above isn't that good. Most fuel system cleaners on the market are mostly Naphtha, which is pretty much just a solvent.

:thumbsup:

Gumout w/ Regane also has a high level of PEA in it. That + the SI-1 and Chevron Fuel System cleaner are the 3 that I use.

Dave

GTI'10man

Ready to race!

NO. It is absolutely not true and I pray that you did not take his advice. He needs to be taken out back and beaten with a hose.

That's what he was telling people they should do lol. Hell n I didn't do that! :laugh:

Halvie

WOOSA
Do any of these actually work?

Looking at my stock injectors now and they seem pretty dirty. Car hasn't seen anything lower than 93 octane. Also used a couple bottles of that techron throughout the car's 30k miles.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I thought our owner's manuals had huge warnings against adding any sort of additives to our fuel, but I could be misremembering.

digimattic

Passed Driver's Ed
Close to this topic but, some guy at work said you could put the regular gas into a car and just put fuel injector cleaner in it and it's the same as the supreme type gas. Is that True?

No. The level of detergents in grades of gasoline is largely the same (at least among reputable providers). The difference between grade is related to the measure of octane in it. Octane measures the gasoline's resistance to premature detonation due to compression.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I called VW Canada and they said 'if you use Top Tier gasoline you do not need cleaners in this car'.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
Time to bump an old thread. My brother's 08 gti with the tsi just had to get new fuel injectors. He's at about 60k miles and stock. I've never heard of fuel injectors needing to be replaced. He always used at least 91 octane from name brand stations so I dont know why his injectors went. It's a $1,300 repair and something I would prefer to avoid. Anyone have insight into this?

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Time to bump an old thread. My brother's 08 gti with the tsi just had to get new fuel injectors. He's at about 60k miles and stock. I've never heard of fuel injectors needing to be replaced. He always used at least 91 octane from name brand stations so I dont know why his injectors went. It's a $1,300 repair and something I would prefer to avoid. Anyone have insight into this?

First ive heard. Does he run the fuel tank low often? I always fill up with shell or sunoco 93 and never let it get down. Ive also used gumout with regane and my butt dyno told me it worked well.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
First ive heard. Does he run the fuel tank low often? I always fill up with shell or sunoco 93 and never let it get down. Ive also used gumout with regane and my butt dyno told me it worked well.

Gumout w/Regane is my favorite as well.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I've heard many of these injector cleaners can block up your cat. Its not recommended by any auto manufacturers that I know, so I would't worry too much about it.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!

I don't think so. He uses Sunoco 93 a majority of the time but occasionally has to get 91 or 92. Of all the time spent browsing here and vortex I've never heard of fuel injectors needing to be replaced

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Me either. Hmm..must be a freak thing that happened.

McQueen77

Banned
Resurrecting an old thread, I dumped a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner in with a fill up of 12 gallons or so of gas today and will continue every 5k or so. I think it is cheap fuel system maintenance, will prolong injector life and so on. While a detergent like this does nothing to prevent carbon build up on intake valves, it still keeps injectors and combustion chamber cleaner over the long haul. I think something like techron with thehighest concentration of PEA additives is the best bet.

My imagination tells me its pulling smoother and harder now so that alone is worth 8 bucks. For the buildup, I run it hard at high revs often, don't do a lot of stop and go etc. Italian tune up still works on these I think. Heat everything up enough and you'll burn some deposits off of those valves, I swear.

Useless post concluded

Last edited:

Turn8

Ready to race!
BG 44K.

Mike