GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone recommend a good fuel injector cleaner?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

McQueen77

Banned
how come i knew youd say that?

i am an 'ounce of prevention..' kind of guy. it amazes me how anti many people are towards anything that costs money. "top tier gas? total bullshit. all comes from the same place. i fill up at achmed's gas and laundrymat". all so they can save a few pennies putting bad gas in their cars. its $8. techron is the brand but chevron did have quite a hand in pioneering these PEA detergents that have been proven in case studies to do what they say they do.

people are cheap, bottom line.

Last edited:

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
I poured Lucas Fuel injector cleaner into my tank back in April.

How often should I do it?

McQueen77

Banned
I don't really back the lucas stuff, mainly because it doesn't contain the PEA detergents that Techron or Redline does, and that is the stuff that cleans your injectors and combustion chambers. Anything promising 'tune up in a bottle' raises red flags for me. Techron is a tried and true formula that has stood up against actually testing etc. on engines. There is tons of documentation on the benefits of PEA detergents on cars. Just using Top Tier gas is not enough as there are only tiny concentrations of detergents in their fuel, while a bottle of this stuff is pure concentrate.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
how come i knew youd say that?

i am an 'ounce of prevention..' kind of guy. it amazes me how anti many people are towards anything that costs money. "top tier gas? total bullshit. all comes from the same place. i fill up at achmed's gas and laundrymat". all so they can save a few pennies putting bad gas in their cars. its $8. techron is the brand but chevron did have quite a hand in pioneering these PEA detergents that have been proven in case studies to do what they say they do.

people are cheap, bottom line.

You know, it's quite possible for someone to think these additives don't work because, in fact, most of them don't, and not be cheap. There is precious little evidence that these work. You don't have to be cheap to not want to waste your money.

You can change your oil every 3k miles too if want. Am I being cheap because there is no evidence that it's needed?

By the way, I picked up some Techron myself when I was in the U.S. last fall and plan to try it out. But I don't honestly think it's going to make a difference. And, yes, I am cheap.

RudyTR

Ready to race!
Yes but in this thread we are talking about a fuel injection cleaner ran through the gas tank. Not running it through the intake manifold.

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
Just add 4oz of mineral spirits or NAPHTHA to a full tank. Most, including BG44K, are fuel and 25% to 40% of spirits/solvent per bottle if you look at the products msds's online. I dump some into the tank every oil change. I use a similar mixture for my intake valve blow-by...1 part solvent to 4 parts fuel. Better than the cost of brand-name products.

Last edited:

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
Gumout's "All-in-one, Complete, and High Mileage" cleaners with P.E.A.(phenyl ethyl alcohol) are getting good reviews and reports of success with removing deposits.
P.E.A. also has upper cylinder lube with liquid paraffin and mineral oil in it which also is helping with removing carbon deposits. Just started using it in the tank and will also add a couple ounces to my blow-by solution in the future.

FriggenT1

Banned
Gumout with regane is a good one that also has PEA that softens carbon, but very little gets to the valves, it might help the injectors a little.

Archoil pmaxx is a new one that's fairly high prices, but they do a lot with diesel and tfsi research

FriggenT1

Banned
None of the above, I'd only use what's recomended by the manufacturer and even then on TSI GTIs and anything direct injected the pressures out of the nozzles are high enough to self clean.

No they aren't, if they were, they wouldn't need to be manually cleaned when doing manuak carbon cleanings....where do some of you read this stuff?