GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 2.0 TSI K04 v3.1 Software Now Available!

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Help!

I'm trying to get my car to pass emissions. I have Apr k04 v3.1 and a downpipe with a 400cell cat. I had the etest done on my 91 octane file and of course oxygen sensor isn't ready.

I put it back to stock mode and got a cel. Do I need to use vcds to clear the cel, force readiness and then go to emisiion test before the cel comes back on? Or do I need a 02 spacer or is it something completely different?
Yeah you definitely need to run stock file to get all the O2 sensors to read. It typically takes about 30 miles plus to have enough data for the emmisons folks to read from the obd. I was cbfa and I ended up having to run 2 02 spacers. Some folks on cbfa only had to run 1 02 spacer. Really just depends. So yes clear your code run it in stock file and see if you code again..if you do try a 42dd spacer and start over again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Maybe this post can get stickied as I've posted it like a hundred times

Below are the steps, they only work if you have multiple programs, one of which being "stock non-test pipe" this is literally stock mapping and will throw a cel if you drive around on it.

1. Put car in stock mode

2. Using vagcom/vcds or equivalent, Run end of line readiness test or individual tests.

3. Immediately stop(lift off brake/throttle) when end of line drops down to number 1.

4. Confirm all readiness are set except cat. convertor

5. Switch back to 91 or 93 octane performance test pipe mode.

6. Now all but 1 readiness should be set with no cel and can pass obd emissions testing.

Alternately if you don't have vagcom you can put the car in stock mode and drive it around till the cel comes on. This should have set readiness for everything for the cat, which also is the cause for the cel. Now switch back to 91 or 93 and drive around until the cel goes off. After enough drive cycles without the fault the cel will go out.

rawradrian

Ready to race!
Maybe this post can get stickied as I've posted it like a hundred times

Below are the steps, they only work if you have multiple programs, one of which being "stock non-test pipe" this is literally stock mapping and will throw a cel if you drive around on it.

1. Put car in stock mode

2. Using vagcom/vcds or equivalent, Run end of line readiness test or individual tests.

3. Immediately stop(lift off brake/throttle) when end of line drops down to number 1.

4. Confirm all readiness are set except cat. convertor

5. Switch back to 91 or 93 octane performance test pipe mode.

6. Now all but 1 readiness should be set with no cel and can pass obd emissions testing.

Alternately if you don't have vagcom you can put the car in stock mode and drive it around till the cel comes on. This should have set readiness for everything for the cat, which also is the cause for the cel. Now switch back to 91 or 93 and drive around until the cel goes off. After enough drive cycles without the fault the cel will go out.

I put it back to stock mode and got a cel after 20km. Ill try this out tomorrow. Would it fail if I ran the readiness test and then went to do the emissions test in stock mode?

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
No it won't fail if you run readiness and went to do the emission test in stock, if you get there and get the test done before the light comes on.

If you have vagcom you can do it the easy way and follow the instructions

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
What tune are you running? I am only familiar with APR'S tune so I may not be much help with other tunes

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
If you have an APR tune here is how I passed Maryland Emmisons test. I was running an APR full TBE by the way with a K04 and my car was cbfa. I put the car to stock tune and put 02 spacers on the second and third 02 sensors (the two farthest from the engine. I cleared the code and ran the car for 30 to 40 miles so the ecu had enough data for the emmisons folks to read. Here is Maryland if you clear the codes there is not enough data for it to pass emmissions. It's like unplugging the battery so they won't pass you. There are varying experiences on here between tuners car set up and downpipe as well as emmisons varying by state. The only way i was able to not have the car throw a cell in stock mode was with 2 02 spacers and then I was fine.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Cbfa or ccta?

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I think that's going to be your best bet. You'll know after about 30 to 40 miles after doing the reset. You may have to adjust it a couple of times so be patient with it. Cheers

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Ccta, I'm running a rai downpipe with 400 cell cat. The shop just ordered a 02 spacer, let's see if that works

You're the only other person I've ever heard of running the RAI downpipe. And its 300 cell, not 400 (not that it makes a difference here).

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Woops. Lol but I was looking around and wasn't the RAI exhaust supposed to come with the 02 spacer to prevent cel? Hmm

If purchased new then yes, the system should have come with a threaded spacer. Does not guarantee CEL free though. I am CBFA and run two "straight" spacers and have good luck.