GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK6 Oil Catch Can System

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Are there any disadvantages to not using the engine cover?

The engine cover is there for several reasons:

- Appearance: Most people don't know what engines are, so when they pop the hood and all they see is a cool piece of plastic, they like it. That doesn't count you and me, but the thousands of others who don't care about cars. Oh, and it gives them a nice spot for a logo!

- Sound: Engine covers do help block out some sound from the engine. On direct injection engines, the injectors tick. People assume ticks are bad. They like to minimize that noise and noise in general, even if it's only a little.

- Cleanliness: You could argue the cover may help with cleanliness of the surface. Assuming if you pop the hood and your cover is dirty, whatever's under it may not be. But, I've yet to pop off an engine cover that was really dirty to find a clean engine below and I've seen some real dirty stuff in my day!

- Heat: Some engines (like the 4.0 TFSI) have twin turbos in the center of the V, directly below the engine cover. They also have metal heat shields under the engine cover to help protect the hood. That's a pretty big exception to the rule and doesn't apply to the 2.0 TSI.

I'm sure there are other examples, but anyways, you may enjoy this. The FSI found in MK5 GTI and MK6 Golf R (and a ton of other cars), has various engine covers from big to small. The smallest isn't exactly what would call an engine cover.

Little engine cover (if you can even call it an engine cover!)

Bigger engine cover:

Way bigger engine cover:

If you want to see a comical engine cover in terms of tinyness, look at various versions of the 1.2 TSI in the Audi, Skoda and VW. :)

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Man I remember the mk5 engine cover pictured above, I was never so happy to remove an engine cover before lol. That thing was like 1/2 of the engine bay compartment in size lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroceriesVR6

Passed Driver's Ed
I have one on my MK6 GLI with unitronic intake. Fits well so far. Only problem is, I got the GTI catch can mount so I am waiting on the GLI mount to come in to see how the fitment is. Does an excellent job of filtering the water. That's all i have gotten when draining the can thus far is water. I've only had it on for like a week though lol

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
The APR catch can works great! Have had it on for a while. Now that it's getting cooler out its really starting to collect more crap. So what's the biggest difference with the design of the apr compared to others that replace the whole pcv valve. Why does it route the vapors to the intake while the others go to the can and then back to the pcv plate on the other side. Does that get routed to that back port that normally goes to the intake?

zrickety

The Fixer
Looks like it goes to oem locations so yes it uses the port in the back intake. The rear pcv side is blocked per the first post.