GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Tune question

eric262

Looking at getting the APR stage 1 tune for my 2012 GTI. Few questions.

1. Does this change the fuel economy when driving sensibly? I am averaging 31mpg mixed (city/hwy) going to work. I really like that.

2. Would you recommend the 91 stage 1 tune or the 93? I see the numbers are slightly higher for the 93.

The place is quoting just under $950. That includes the 91/93 tune, stock tune, security to switch/lock so dealer cannot tell it is chipped. I think there was something else in there, can't remember.

Thanks.

BAgti

Ready to race!
1. fuel economy is about the same, just depends on how you drive..I'm on stage 2 and I still get about 31 while just driving light.

2. 91 or 93 will depend on what gas you use. if you use 93 octane keep it at 93 tune. This is why you should wait for APR sale and get all tunes for like $599 or whatever is at.

$950 is too much I think...during APR sale I spend $599 for all 4 mode (stock/91/100/valet) some places may charge to do the ecu reflash..but usually is around the $700-$750 mark.

By the way, as long as you chip your car, the dealer can tell you are chipped or not.

JasonH

Ready to race!

1. Does this change the fuel economy when driving sensibly? I am averaging 31mpg mixed (city/hwy) going to work. I really like that.

2. Would you recommend the 91 stage 1 tune or the 93? I see the numbers are slightly higher for the 93.

The place is quoting just under $950. That includes the 91/93 tune, stock tune, security to switch/lock so dealer cannot tell it is chipped. I think there was something else in there, can't remember.

Thanks.

1. When sensibly? You should have the same, if not slightly better economy.
2. 93 if you have it in your area.

$950 is CRAZY high... wait for the APR Spring Sale next month, fully loaded (all options) for $600 + install.
Also, dealers can still tell, with or without the security lockout.

P

plac

if you baby it you can get better than stock mileage. but no one chips their car to baby it.

wait for the sale.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I will add this question since I know it is frowned upon to start many tune threads to begin with. Is there really any reason to get the lockout feature if I don't care if the dealer knows I am tuned. Basically was thinking to just get the tune and stock and 93 modes. If I ever end up in an area without 93...which is only on trips, I will just set it to stock. Basically I was thinking just put it back to stock when I take it to the dealer, but really don't care if they discover it or not, and if I ever do have engine/ecu issues, and need to take it to the dealer, I will tell them it is tuned anyway.

BAgti

Ready to race!
I will add this question since I know it is frowned upon to start many tune threads to begin with. Is there really any reason to get the lockout feature if I don't care if the dealer knows I am tuned. Basically was thinking to just get the tune and stock and 93 modes. If I ever end up in an area without 93...which is only on trips, I will just set it to stock. Basically I was thinking just put it back to stock when I take it to the dealer, but really don't care if they discover it or not, and if I ever do have engine/ecu issues, and need to take it to the dealer, I will tell them it is tuned anyway.

Is just nice so no one can change your tunes around..but I mean, unless they know your password and actually know how to work the stalk, not likely anyone is going to play with it.

fredf

Go Kart Champion

Why put it back to stock when you can wait for a sale and put it to 91?

No, I don't see any need for the lockout if you don't care about the dealer.

But, as others have said, have a little patience and wait for the sale that is due within weeks.

reebz

Passed Driver's Ed
One guy said his dealer told him the sale starts Monday, but we'll see. Either way, I'd wait and save a couple hundred bucks and have more options. You'll probably regret it in the long run if you don't.

eric262

I will call them and ask about the sale. Thanks.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Sale will start at minimum the 19th march.
Maybe week after.
Just look at previous years ones - 21st and 22nd. That's the trend.

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
Eric,
New German Performance (NGP) in Aberdeen, Md. or Lorton Va. (which ever is closer). Last sale (November) I got APR stage 1 fully loaded (4 programs + lockout and more) for $600 and 1 hour labor - $85 for install. I would guess APR spring sale prices would be the same. They are very professional and I've had no problems with any of the work they've done for me. Planning to go back to them for exhaust and stage 2 tune as soon as I hear the Spring sale is on. MPGs can be the same as stock if you can keep your foot off the pedal; and thats the really hard part.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
One guy said his dealer told him the sale starts Monday, but we'll see. Either way, I'd wait and save a couple hundred bucks and have more options. You'll probably regret it in the long run if you don't.

I think he said "a Monday", not this coming Monday, but I'm not 100% on that.

misaka

Ready to race!

Thanks.

1. If you drive sensibly I noticed gas mileage go up a little. Problem is, driving sensibly... It does add a little kick that makes it more fun to drive with a harder foot. It's a little like asking, I want to buy a Ferrari, but I'm really just interested in keeping it under 25mph. :)

2. I'd recommend waiting, Like Pokemon, I just got them all... during the sales. And to protect myself a little more, I went and got the tune done at a very friendly dealer. (So they could deal with it if they messed up.) Cost me a little more in the end. 599 (for 4 programs, and lockout etc) +150$ labor (Rate for GTI). I've had 0 issues, and less worry, and... a whole lot of fun.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I went to NGP Lorton and paid around $750 for fully loaded APR S1 ECU during the APR winter sale, it's totally worth it.

As for MPG you'll get less because you'll want to drive fast all the time after you're flashed.