GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR WaterFest Problems

Dub_75

Ready to race!
Went to WaterFest with a bunch of my buddies last weekend and purchased a stage 2 tune and downpipe from the APR booth since it was on sale and came with a free install. Everything was smooth sailing, or so it seemed, one of the salesmen told me to go get my car from the back lot then to pull into the line for tunes then after getting tuned to pull right through and get my downpipe installed. After waiting an 1 1/2 hours to make it to the front of the line the technicians told me that they couldn't flash my car through my OBDII port and that my ECU needed to be opened up(it was at this moment when i knew... the salesman had me F***ED UP:thumbdown:).

They took my car under the tent and did what they needed to do to the ECU and Exhaust. 3 hours later I get a call from one of the technicians saying my car was done and ready to be picked up :w00t: so my buddies and I all walk over to get my car, before starting it up I asked if they had installed the downpipe and flashed my ECU to stage 2, if there were any problems, and if I could still keep my stock downpipe. I was reassured that everything was smooth sailing and finished. Jamie of APR was very helpful in showing me how to switch programs and use my security code. Then came the "big start up", I knew that only having the downpipe installed the exhaust note wouldn't change to much since I was still keeping the stock CatBack, push the clutch in and start my car annnnddd ... nothing :( everyone looked at me like "did you really just spend $1,274 for that? :eek: :( " . Jamie told me rev it a few times and instantly i knew its still stock! I'd been driving it for a year and a half and know how my car sounds.

I politely ask jamie if he could please get his supervisor or a jack and some jack stands just to show me that they did in fact install my downpipe, he says no problem and goes to get his supervisor while my friends and chat with one of the APR guys who's MASSIVE RV was parked in front of all the other finished apr clients cars, Cool Dude :thumbup: . 10 mins later Jamie comes back with his supervisor who rudely interrupts our conversation, not even properly introducing himself, and immediately begins to belittle me in front of my friends and other APR staff saying that I was "a brat and wasting his time while he had other more important paying customers to take care of". I looked at him shell shocked and appalled and stated that I was a Paying Customer and that I didn't appreciate his treatment, nor tone, I then asked if I could get my stock downpipe and if they could put my car on the lift to physically show me that they had installed the new 3" APR downpipe for peace of mind. He then said "what made me think that a Big Company like APR would make a mistake like that and not install a part that someone had paid for, your just being a brat". I told him I didn't see the actually install and couldn't see or feel the difference.

He then ran over the the pile of downpipes and grabbed the cleanest one brought it back and placed it on the ground next to my car and said "here's your stock downpipe, Happy?" I said "no could you please put my car on the lift and show me that you actually installed my downpipe" he then asked james and 3 other mechanics to comes over an the the car and put it on the lift (meanwhile he was still giving me an ear full yelling at me saying I was "wasting his mechanics time and that it was unnecessary to put my car on the lift and that he had more important things to do") as soon as my car went up on the lift and everyone saw that my exhaust had NOT been touched the supervisor who REFUSED to give me his name before he left said he was "needed elsewhere" and that james would take care of everything from there on and walked away from me while I was STILL trying to talk to him.

James and the 3 other mechanics installed my downpipe with in 45mins while the APR guy who owned the Massive RV offered my 3 friends free beer trying to apologize for the a**hole supervisor saying that "no one let alone a paying customer should ever be treated like that". APR estimated it would take about 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours max when it ended up being roughly 5 1/2 hours for a tune and downpipe.

I was highly dissatisfied with the treatment and tried contacting APR customer service 3 times this past week trying to see if they would do anything about it and I was unable to get ahold of anyone :iono: . If anyone could put me in contact with someone at APR that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

snowsled

Ready to race!
Sounds like it was taken care of:iono:

Lets review...

You have the downpipe and tune installed, correctly, and it works, right?

That is what you paid for, and the installation was free, if not as convenient as it could have been. They fed you and your buddies beers and apologized...

So you are butt hurt because they have an a$$ on staff? Everybody does...

It is a great story, and you learned to trust your instincts and stand up for yourself.:thumbsup:

If you think vendors of any stripe, in any walk of life, are required to compensate you for a bad experience, you are going to have a hard life son. Walk away happy with your car, let the rest slide.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
That totally sucks, dude.

I never dealt with APR directly, but their local vendors in the Houston area that do their installs and flashing are ALL a bunch of assholes as well. Got such bad customer service, I'm still stock 19 months later.

Try finding Arin @ APR. He's on here somewhere....

Dub_75

Ready to race!
Sounds like it was taken care of:iono:

Lets review...

You have the downpipe and tune installed, correctly, and it works, right?

That is what you paid for, and the installation was free, if not as convenient as it could have been. They fed you and your buddies beers and apologized...

So you are butt hurt because they have an a$$ on staff? Everybody does...

It is a great story, and you learned to trust your instincts and stand up for yourself.:thumbsup:

If you think vendors of any stripe, in any walk of life, are required to compensate you for a bad experience, you are going to have a hard life son. Walk away happy with your car, let the rest slide.

But the thing is that I worked my ass off an shelled out almost $1300, was treated like horse shit, and almost convinced to leave with a stock exhaust. I just want to see if they'll do anything. And yes the dude gave my friends beer, there 21 & 22, I'm 18, I didn't get anything. And I know hey aren't required to do anything but It be nice if they did, doesn't hurt anyone to try.

Jaber

Modero
Wow that sucks. Don't think I would of stood up to that kind of behavior.

I think you have every right to be pissed.

Sent from my iSuperior

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like the guy who treated you like that thinks his shit don't stink. After this I wouldn't have run shit from their company. I would have said flash me back to stock and keep your downpipe and refund my money, Ill go elsewhere and get better numbers with better customer service. My 2 cents.

Dub_75

Ready to race!
Would have sucked to leave with the stock downpipe.

Thing is that I was the only one who thought he was full of it(because I'm paranoid about stuff like this)... my buddies thought I should have believed them and that if the tune was done then they must have done the downpipe too but then heard another gti pass by with the same exact tune and downpipe and knew something was wrong.

Dub_75

Ready to race!
Sounds like the guy who treated you like that thinks his shit don't stink. After this I wouldn't have run shit from their company. I would have said flash me back to stock and keep your downpipe and refund my money, Ill go elsewhere and get better numbers with better customer service. My 2 cents.

I've honestly been contemplating that all week but I'm just waiting to hear back from them before I say/do anything. I hear United Motor Sports does some great work tho.

Cbax38

Ready to race!
Just relax, compose yourself and write a letter to APR corporate explaining exactly what happened, how you were treated, (and almost cheated) and be sure to send it certified mail. Nothing more to do after that , just move on with life.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
That shit would have been for the birds. Your not going to see me spend $1300 with your company and you be a dick? GTFO. And their numbers aren't even the best in the market. The customer service seems good here on the forums, but I guess its not that great in person. Glad I got rid of all my APR stuff. No looking back.

clownish

just clowning around
You are totally justified. Too often people treat younger individuals like shit just based on their appearance. I'm 26 but I can pass like I am in college. If I'm dressed in my normal business casual, I've noticed I get treated much different than if I wear what's comfortable - aka a t shirt and shorts.

I hope that you get the name of that asshole manager who kept calling you a brat. Wholly unprofessional behavior - anyone working a booth at a show should treat it like they were at work. Business is business and there's a time and place for how you behave when you are representing a company whether it's a Fortune 100 company or a performance shop.

You should be getting an additional discount for the lying, the extremely poor customer service, and the general unprofessional behavior.

I have almost all the APR hardware for a mk6. Don't let the downright rude behavior of one individual sour you on the general products. My k04 gti leaves me with a huge grin every single time I hit the go pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: