GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Detailer's Domain. Have a question ask us?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I have CSG GTI and have noticed the color of my car looks washed out compared to the SB GTI I see at school. Is it just the color of my car or my detailing regimen?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I have CSG GTI and have noticed the color of my car looks washed out compared to the SB GTI I see at school. Is it just the color of my car or my detailing regimen?

Carbon Steel Gray, what is SB?

Phil

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
the blue will tend to pop more. how do you maintain it? have you polished it out yet?>

So far nothing in terms of polish. I'm the first owner if that matters. My detail shop has been telling me that I have to polish even though the car is new. Not really sure if a new car needs it though.

I usually

1. Claybar with Chemical Guys Blue Bar
2. DA apply Black Light let dry for 30 min
3. Hand apply Black Light let dry
4. Apply Chemical Guys Blitz Sealant
5. Apply two layers of Pete's 53.

My normal wash regimen is two bucket wash for body with a separate bucket for wheels. I wash with Chemical Guys Glossworks. The reflection on the paint is great but, the color just seems so dull.

Last edited:

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I got two new questions.

1. How do you properly apply touch up paint? I use Dr.Color chip but of course it just makes a colored in chip so its not flush with its surroundings. I see people wet sanding their blobs.

2. How do I deal with little fine water spots on glass? On tinted windows these spots become real obvious.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I got two new questions.

1. How do you properly apply touch up paint? I use Dr.Color chip but of course it just makes a colored in chip so its not flush with its surroundings. I see people wet sanding their blobs.

2. How do I deal with little fine water spots on glass? On tinted windows these spots become real obvious.

1. that's a good question its a completely different craft which I tend to stay away from but what you said above is correct in theory. ; )

2. keeping them off will me stay on top of the glass maintenance. As for removing them we will have an amazing glass polish shortly, for now try claying or using a paint compound/polish to try to get them out, how long have they been there?

A little confuse with wax and paint sealent.
Which one should be applied after polishing first?
If I have the porter cable for polishing, shouldn't I just use a different pad for wax as well? or should I use hand to wax and paint sealent it?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
A little confuse with wax and paint sealent.
Which one should be applied after polishing first?
If I have the porter cable for polishing, shouldn't I just use a different pad for wax as well? or should I use hand to wax and paint sealent it?

Polish, Seal, Wax (not sure if necessary)

Yes, you should use a different pad for polish & wax

I'll let Phil elaborate.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Polish, Seal, Wax (not sure if necessary)

Yes, you should use a different pad for polish & wax

I'll let Phil elaborate.

don't be confused its easy.

you can use a wax or a sealant, you don't need to use both.

waxes I have found last for 1-3 months on avg

sealants will last 3-6 months strong.

that being said its going to be preference some love the look of a sealant and some love the look of a wax.

the days of needing to put a wax over a sealant are virtually over.

if a customer request it we will do it but its not necessary.

Phil

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Much to your disappointment, I like to keep my car clean but I'm not opposed to quick auto washes and have never had it detailed.

However, my dealer recently had a mild mix up and offered me a full detail, they say its 125$ value, to make up for it.

Question: since its free I don't want them to just wash it and vacuum and pass it off as a full detail...what kind of stuff should I expect to be done for $125?

Wax, door jambs, exhaust tips, interior dusting in tight spots?

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Oh just figured this was a thread to ask pro detailers...ppl who would never let others, much less a dealer, clean their car?

don't be confused its easy.

you can use a wax or a sealant, you don't need to use both.

waxes I have found last for 1-3 months on avg

sealants will last 3-6 months strong.

that being said its going to be preference some love the look of a sealant and some love the look of a wax.

the days of needing to put a wax over a sealant are virtually over.

if a customer request it we will do it but its not necessary.

Phil

WHOA....... MIND = BLOWN

so... wash, clay, polish, wax or sealent? that will save me a couple oh hours.

should i apply wax/sealent with the porter cable?