GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blew my first coilpack today at the track

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
And man, was that some SCARY shit. Car felt like it was literally choking to breathe, scaring the living shit of me. We thankfully had a generic ECU scanner to see what the code was , "cylinder 4 misfire". We removed my buddy's coilpack and put it on cylinder 4 pack - problem solved.

I got a ride about 15mins to the nearest dealer (lucky as hell) and bought 2 OEM replacements for now, and was still able to make the last run of the day. Car felt like new again :thumbup:

I was already considering new plugs, fuel filter, and coilpacks in perhaps another 5-10k miles (car only has 14k on it now), but looks like I will be ordering a set of R8 packs and then looking into what plugs to get and do them all at once perhaps, or wait till after winter since I wont be driving the car too hard for quite some time now (does that have anything to do with it?)

For now, I have the extra one in my trunk, and I am definitely more considering getting a VAGCOM tool now more than ever, because if we didn't have the generic scan tool, I'd have no idea WTF it was and would have shit my pants more than I almost did. Anyhoo, I had no idea that's what it was like to have a bad coilpack. good times.. easily solved tho.

coolstarrybra.

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
damn, that IS scary -- and further reminder I need to buy a set to throw in the trunk!!!! (well, hatch).... I'm guessing there's a list of the "best" coil-packs around here somewhere.... :confused:

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Vag com is a nice tool for sure...

why R8 packs, ive been looking into coil pack solutions for what is coming down the pike or if any issues arise

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
vagcom - till now, a buddy literally down the street from me has it, so I just had him help me out whenever, but now I want one with me all the time perhaps, haha...

R8 - yep, mega cheap and reportedly very good. HS Tuning recommends them on their K04 and up turbos, so thinking maybe they are somehow "better" than just replacing them with the same old oem replacements. and yes, they are red... becauseracecar.

P

plac

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
What's the PN on the R8 coilpacks? I'm about to hit 40k and might do those and plugs

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
so, does the "high output" mean they are "better" than what we have stock, I'd imagine?

AND THEY'RE RED, LIKE OMGZ.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
so, does the "high output" mean they are "better" than what we have stock, I'd imagine?

AND THEY'RE RED, LIKE OMGZ.

i think it just means they use them in their higher output engines, meaning id imagine the same thing

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
the same thing as what we have?