GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown away by stock speakers this morning...

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I use to drove an Si with a 350 watt Prem sound + woofer. That was a great sounding system. The stock speakers in the golf were on par with that system even without dynaudio or woofer. Now the WRX was a different story. One of the reason why I cancelled my order. Need my music! :D

Didn't unplugging your Soundaktor help this?

speed

Ready to race!
In comparison to my previous car that has a Rockford Fosgate sound system that was included in the full-option trim (650-watt amp, 10" subwoofer, 9 speakers), I must say the stock set up on the GTI is pretty decent.

legandrex

Ready to race!
IF the Subarus had a "mark Levinson" or some insane stereo option, they would be a lot closer to my buy list. i like a lot of things about Subarus.

The Harmon Kardon branded system in my old Legacy and my wife's current Outback is pretty decent. Legacy sounded better because Sub in rear deck could pound out more bass than sub in hatch area of Outback. Too bad they won't put it in WRX. I had already mentally accepted having to purchase $500 Kicker sub for WRX if I had decided to go that route. But that plus other economy car shortcomings slanted me to the GTI. Not once have I second guessed that decision.

GTI7871

Banned
I have ALL MY iTunes MUSIC IN 320kbps...they sound AMAZING with my Dynaudio speakers. :D

To be honest i never heard any song in .FLAC format.
320kbps sounds pretty damn good to my ears.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
I have ALL MY iTunes MUSIC IN 320kbps...they sound AMAZING with my Dynaudio speakers. :D

To be honest i never heard any song in .FLAC format.
320kbps sounds pretty damn good to my ears.
Listen to a song in FLAC format. You'll never wanna go back to MP3. You can make the volume higher with no distortion. Like I've said before, FLAC exceeds 1000kbps...usually around 1400.

GTI7871

Banned
Listen to a song in FLAC format. You'll never wanna go back to MP3. You can make the volume higher with no distortion. Like I've said before, FLAC exceeds 1000kbps...usually around 1400.

Reading about that right now, but looks too much of a hassle. ALL my 1,200 songs came from iTunes. :(

dudemanz

Ready to race!
Reading about that right now, but looks too much of a hassle. ALL my 1,200 songs came from iTunes. :(

I wouldn't worry about it. I am a pretty good judge of sound quality and I can't tell the difference between flac and 320.

Skirball

Ready to race!
Had to make an emergency run to BevMo this weekend and I was too lazy to swap my wife's Prius who was behind mine so I just took her car. After about 20 minutes I got the BT to connect to my phone so I could have some music to listen to.

I take back some of the nasty things I've said about the stock Golf sound system; it certainly is leagues better than some other stock systems out there.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Nope. Signal is signal. The system might limit it but the cable can't.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
As an amateur audiofile, this thread has made me face palm 13 times. At least OP knows what's up.:thumbsup:

Edit: just to explain, the face palms were because I'm disgusted with myself for mostly listening to Sirius radio even though it's sound quality flat out sux. It's just pure laziness that I haven't made an sd card with the highest quality audio possible.

Last edited:

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Bet best stock sound system I ever heard was the "advanced audio package" that came with my old Saturn ION. People even pointed out how good they thought it sounded.

It's funny; that was the only quality thing about that POS ;)

K0Z

Ready to race!
You'll never want to use mp3s ever again.

Yes, lossless audio though good quality speakers, well its awesome. For those of you with iTunes you can burn CDs to ALAC (which is Apple's lossless codec). FLAC is a free codec, but it is not supported by iTunes. Most of the lossless files on the internet are going to be in FLAC, but there's plenty of programs out there that will convert FLAC to ALAC.

The RDC-510 will not play FLAC or ALACs from an SD card. You can however play ALACs through a connected iPod. The DAC on the iPod is fairly good, at least on my 7th gen classic. The biggest limitation in the stock set up is going to be the amp in the head unit (Non-Dynaudio). However, the stock speakers are sounding a lot better as they break in.