GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown clutch?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Clutch pedal still has full pressure behind it, feels completely normal... the hydraulics seems fine, so I'm leaning away from master cylinder / fluid.

When you put it in gear with the car off, have you tried starting it in gear with the clutch in? Does the car move even with the clutch in? I'm assuming some portion (either the fingers or ring or something) broke on your pressure plate if the car still moves while it's running in gear with the clutch in.

tmenzz

Passed Driver's Ed
These are really good starting points for diagnosing this. Definitely try that^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
When you put it in gear with the car off, have you tried starting it in gear with the clutch in? Does the car move even with the clutch in? I'm assuming some portion (either the fingers or ring or something) broke on your pressure plate if the car still moves while it's running in gear with the clutch in.

Yes ... if I turn the engine off, then put the car into first, depress the clutch, the turn the engine over -- keeping the clutch fully depressed -- the car pulls a little, and I can hear the clutch grinding and spinning away.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Yes ... if I turn the engine off, then put the car into first, depress the clutch, the turn the engine over -- keeping the clutch fully depressed -- the car pulls a little, and I can hear the clutch grinding and spinning away.

Yea, get ready to take the trans out. You need a pressure plate at least. Which means you should just buy a new clutch. The RSR is perfect for your situation.

Edit: Just realized you have a southbend clutch. They will rebuild it for pretty cheap if I remember correctly (like 250-300 bucks).

Edit 2: How many miles were on it?

tmenzz

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious about the mileage as well. Something seems weird here.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Yea, get ready to take the trans out. You need a pressure plate at least. Which means you should just buy a new clutch. The RSR is perfect for your situation.

Edit: Just realized you have a southbend clutch. They will rebuild it for pretty cheap if I remember correctly (like 250-300 bucks).

Edit 2: How many miles were on it?

That's an interesting option ... I'll have to look into that. Was expecting to buy a new one, but I'll have them rebuild if it's that cheap!

The car has 89,500 miles, and I did the clutch at about 55,000 miles, so only about 35,000 on the clutch.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
What good is a breakdown thread without some tow truck pictures.

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Getting her off the truck was quite fun ... that's about a 3' drop you're looking at in the second picture. Had to put her in gear and release the parking break, then move the bed backwards pushing the car, to get her off the bed without her bottoming out :). Tow truck guy was pretty awesome.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
That sucks. In 4 updates.

Nice to have a good tow truck guy. My car was spilling oil and my tow driver starts up my car. Of course I jumped in to stop it right away but I have an emergency low oil code stored permanently because of the dumb POS. Fortunately I didn't need any work done under warranty because that would have raised some eyebrows.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
In for resolution and pics if available.

The car made it to my shop late this afternoon, and he ordered a whole new Southbend Stage 3 Daily kit from his supplier, so she'll be back on the road in the next day or two.

He hasn't dropped the transmission yet, so the actual cause is still anyone's guess, but he said he'd send me pictures and details as soon as he gets in there. Will keep you guys posted.

I'm going to send the busted clutch back to Southbend and see what it'll cost to rebuild it. If it's only a couple hundred bucks, then I'll do it, and keep it in the garage incase this happens again.

Cheesecake

Ready to race!
Wow that is ridiculous... How the hell did that disc end up like that? No abuse was there?