GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
This is great stuff. Thanks for the continued updates

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
THERE'S 4 TENSIONER REVISIONS?? REALLY???

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, another year another update! 6 years ago, we completed this task! Well, car is STILL going strong! It now has closer to 190K miles, but nothing major wrong to report. Still lit up like a Christmas tree, and I still don't care. I've attributed it to a rear wheel speed sensor that I'll take care of one of these days.
It's my daily driver, but I don't commute anywhere or anything so I just run it whenever. Only about 6000 miles in the last year.
My son turns 16 tomorrow (!!!) and absolutely LOVES the GTI. I do too, so I'm not giving him mine much to his disappointment.
But I couldn't let him down. He's getting it's clone, a 2010 with 124K miles and receipts for tensioner and timing chain updates. I'm not doing another engine swap haha! Picture below, a bit more of a base model but better than a Jetta or something haha!
He has no idea! Tomorrow will be fun.
Thanks for following along guys, the YouTube channel is going strong if you're interested, and see you guys next year hopefully!
www.youtube.com/@hoppycamper
PXL_20240114_201900940.jpg

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I spoke too soon.
Last night, my wonderfully faithful GTI decided I needed a hole in the block so I can watch the crankshaft rotate. It also decided oil is overrated.

She had a good run, and at this point owed me nothing.
Anyone need a boat anchor? Haha

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_183638928.jpg
    PXL_20240220_183638928.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Well, I spoke too soon.
Last night, my wonderfully faithful GTI decided I needed a hole in the block so I can watch the crankshaft rotate. It also decided oil is overrated.

She had a good run, and at this point owed me nothing.
Anyone need a boat anchor? Haha
so how did this happen? timing skipped? what's the cause for the crankshaft to break apart?

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
so how did this happen? timing skipped? what's the cause for the crankshaft to break apart?

Dude, I'm not sure. May have spun a bearing and a connecting rod blasted a hole through the bottom? I'm not gonna take it apart and chase it down, not really worth it to me. So it's a mystery for now. A bit of a bummer, I really don't feel like shopping for anything. This was a free car at this point....