GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Borla Exhaust installed!

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
I've had those tips on my 01 impala, 05 jeep hemi, and 08 impala ss, i love the look on them. What size is the pipe comming out from the muffler on our car and I'll post the part number.

tony421

Passed Driver's Ed
Just ordered my Borla exhaust. Its on backorder but I expect to have it and install it by mid September at the latest. $660 shipped from autopartsdealer.com with coupon code SummerSale1.

tony421

Passed Driver's Ed
BORLA 140347 INSTALLED!!!

So, I got up early this morning and installed my Borla. Unfortunately, the fitment is a bit off. The tips are too close to the center and hit the diffuser. I'm gonna contact Borla on Monday. They have a location near me in Oxnard, CA. Maybe they can help me out without sending a whole new setup.

Yes, my license plate says Meh; it was totally random.
No, I don't care that you can see it. Meh.

I know, I know. Flaming for the cold revs can be skipped for now.
I'll try to post a drive-by and take off later. Just enjoy the video.

Youtube video HERE.
If you want skip ahead to the Borla sound click HERE.

I love it. I took a long drive out to Oceanside, CA [about 2hrs 20min—190miles roundtrip—from Downtown LA]. The drone was very smooth and barely noticeable at highway speeds. I could easily leave the car in cruise control on the clear sections of the road and it was imperceptible. As soon as I changed lanes, BOOM, there it was. Awesome, well-tuned setup.

Last edited:

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
that video even makes the stock exhaust sound good when you can't the stock exhaust at all in real life haha :p

James9449

Ready to race!
Borla experience

Like Tony421, I have issues with the fit of the Borla on my '11 GTI. The exhaust tips are, in fact, too close together. They are also a tad too big, IMHO. The piping of the Cat-Back itself actually comes into contact with parts of the frame. I'm taking mine back to the guy who was good enough to do the install for me, so that he can hear the rattling and buzzing sounds from the touch points. He'll be able to take care of all that, I'm certain. Will post again to report results.

The resonator on the Borla CB seems small to me. But I'm going to reserve judgment on the sound until after the metal-to-metal background noises are eliminated. Right now, the exhaust sounds a bit loud, but that may change after a thousand miles or so. Inside the car, the exhaust is noticeably louder, but again, I have to wait until the re-fitment is done.

AlvinT

Alvin from Borla Performance in California.. We'd like to have Tony bring his GTI to our R&D facility in Oxnard. Email sent. Thanks.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
that video even makes the stock exhaust sound good when you can't the stock exhaust at all in real life haha :p

That's the toughest part about these videos. It's hard to gauge the real sound in relation to the stock exhaust when the video shows the stock sounding like that.

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
I put the borla on my 2011 and i have the same problem, the tips are touching the defuser and begining to melt slightly. NOT happy. exhaust is great, sounds great but melting stuff does not make me happy.

I am going to start a thread and ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE BORLA EXHAUST should you post there, this way we have a record and information list to present to borla as evidence of the issue. This is something that they should cover. So I'll get it started.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9896 is the posting

Last edited:

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
I put the borla on my 2011 and i have the same problem, the tips are touching the defuser and begining to melt slightly. NOT happy. exhaust is great, sounds great but melting stuff does not make me happy.

I am going to start a thread and ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE BORLA EXHAUST should you post there, this way we have a record and information list to present to borla as evidence of the issue. This is something that they should cover. So I'll get it started.

Fitment Issues With Borla Exhaust # 140347 is the posting

I contacted Borla today about the alignment with the tips, right after i got off the phone he posted to have tony car in the shop so that they can look at it.

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
Ok great, but I have learned with other products its best to have a seperate record, and given Borla's amazing quality and finish on ALL of their products I'm sure they will resolve the issues quickly. If no one wants to post to my fitment issues post that's fine, it just gives users here and from other forums that review our forum the oportunity to discuss ways of correcting the problem and other exhaust issues while it also gives the manufacturer a place to update its customers all while keeping a good record of everything. Also, I would like to add, I didn't modify the kit and recomend that customers with the kit don't either, in any way, so that the warranty Borla offers its customers isn't broken.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9896

Last edited:

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Ok great, but I have learned with other products its best to have a seperate record, and given Borla's amazing quality and finish on ALL of their products I'm sure they will resolve the issues quickly. If no one wants to post to my fitment issues post that's fine, it just gives users here and from other forums that review our forum the oportunity to discuss ways of correcting the problem and other exhaust issues while it also gives the manufacturer a place to update its customers all while keeping a good record of everything. Also, I would like to add, I didn't modify the kit and recomend that customers with the kit don't either, in any way, so that the warranty Borla offers its customers isn't broken.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9896

I'm with you,it is better to have another thread,i just wanted people to know that there looking into the problem.

tony421

Passed Driver's Ed
Alvin from Borla Performance in California.. We'd like to have Tony bring his GTI to our R&D facility in Oxnard. Email sent. Thanks.

Thanks Alvin. I'm gonna do my best to get out there this week before there's any serious damage to the diffuser.

AlvinT

Thanks Alvin. I'm gonna do my best to get out there this week before there's any serious damage to the diffuser.

Tony, great to meet you and Hugo this morning. Thanks for making the trip out to Borla Performance Industries! We appreciate your help in making this right for the mk6 community. Being a fellow dubber, I appreciate your help in sharing that there was an issue in our exhaust. We believe we found the error and are working with our production in Johnson City, TN to make it right.

We found that the tip spacing is 1" off due to the pipe bends before the tips. It appears the length of the pipes are correct and the hangars are in the correct position. We corrected the bends in your system and polished the tips. As for production we are putting a hold. We will review these parts and verify the design is correct. If anyone has a problem with their Borla product, please let me know. Thanks to everyone here for their feedback.

Last edited: