GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broke a subframe bolt

IVVVIKris

Ready to race!
I was installing the CTS rigid collar kit and a 16mm subframe bolt (the last bolt needing to be torqued down) broke while tightening it. I hadn't removed the bolt completely, only back it out a few turns, so it wasn't cross threaded. Something snapped and the bolt head continued to turn. I can't get it to tighten or back out. :mad: It's the rear, right 16mm bolt in the center of this photo.

https://flic.kr/p/tpbuKx https://www.flickr.com/photos/obi18t/

What component above the subframe does this bolt go to. Any tips for extracting that bolt?

Labbatt33

Ready to race!
No idea what it threads into goes but you're going to need to drop the subframe to investigate. Hopefully it snapped close to the head of the bolt so you can get something on the remnance to spin it out

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
The 16mm bolts are for your steering rack.

IVVVIKris

Ready to race!
I just found some front sway bar installation instructions from Hotchkis. That bolt is the only bolt holding the steering rack to the subframe on the passenger side.

Uberryan

Banned
Always use a torque wrench to tighten with the correct lbs.

IVVVIKris

Ready to race!
The bushing that bolt threads into broke loose and spins with the bolt. I'll likely have to drill the bolt out.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
The bushing that bolt threads into broke loose and spins with the bolt. I'll likely have to drill the bolt out.

i feel for you bro thats gotta be fucking irritating

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!

If you cant drop that screw the steering rack will hold up your sub frame from dropping because the steering linkage is limited. Take a grinder to the head and grind it off and it should push through.

Worse case nut and bolt the rack after. A grinder may be your best option. If you grind off the head you may not have to drop the sub frame.

panzr15

Ready to race!
Anyone know the part number for the bolts that attach the steering rack to the subframe(s)?