GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California Drivers sign!

lmlloyd

Ready to race!
I signed it, but you do know that instead of wasting time passing around symbolic online petitions addressed to legislators, you could actually get signatures for a real ballot initiative, right? An open petition like this will never change the law. Get two million signatures on a petition to the California Attorney General, and you can actually put it up for a vote as a proposition.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
I'm afraid thats bull. Why do you have 19 states in the US that don't have mandatary front plates and the rest do? Its one country the same law should apply to every state not just some. ;)

lmlloyd

Ready to race!
I'm afraid thats bull. Why do you have 19 states in the US that don't have mandatary front plates and the rest do? Its one country the same law should apply to every state not just some. ;)

Vehicle licensing and registration is done at the state level, not the federal level. Every state handles it differently, has different plates, and has different registration stickers, as well as different registration sticker placement. As far as California specifically goes though, it really isn't very hard to get a ballot initiative, if enough people want the law changed. It is just a matter of getting the signatures. If every car club in CA would pull together and start getting signatures, I don't think it would be that difficult to get the 5% of the population you would need. I bet a lot of car dealers would help out, because it is just one more thing they don't have to do to the car before they sell it, and I understand that not putting on the front holder is one of the most common requests anyway.

Me, I don't really care either way. It would be better if I didn't have to have on, but it doesn't bother me as much as it does a lot of other people.

E-Dawg

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah man, I grew up in So Cal, now that I'm in AZ, no more worries..haha

surrealchemist

Ready to race!

Because of the 10th amendment to the constitution:
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

It was set up similar to the way the european union works. A state is its own entity with government and laws.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Well it just seems strange. Its like Staffordshire not having front plates but Derbyshire do. I know there is a massive difference in size but they are still counties/states with their own powers.

Its like the thread the other day http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10215& asking about Euro plates, as anyone been pulled over.

So if a car is registered in California and they drive into San Francisco can they get done for not have a front plate? ;)

Bender1

Banned

I can go into the merits of a Federal Republic if you would like! :thumbsup:

bryanmn1

Ready to race!
I signed it, but you do know that instead of wasting time passing around symbolic online petitions addressed to legislators, you could actually get signatures for a real ballot initiative, right? An open petition like this will never change the law. Get two million signatures on a petition to the California Attorney General, and you can actually put it up for a vote as a proposition.

I live in California, and I agree we shouldn't be required to have a front license plate. But, this online petition is silly. If people are serious about it, then they should consider doing a real petition to get it to a real vote. An online petition where anyone from anywhere with a real or fake email address is a waste of time.

But, if everyone in California wrote a letter to their Assemblyman or Senator, they would change the law.