GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
OH MAN, I AM PAPER RACING MEDIC AND ABOUT TO LOSE:cry:

I would love to lose to you. I don't mind losing to anyone. It would be fun just to line up though. I cannot drive this car like it would need to be for a good time. I need some practice for sure.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
He posted specs before, like 8 lbs boost, 4.10's and lsd iirc... is there such a thing as a cobra without lsd?

When you upgrade the gears you have to likely update the LSD as well.
Damn 4.10s is nuts for a supercharged car... he probably can't hook those tires for shit.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
He posted specs before, like 8 lbs boost, 4.10's and lsd iirc... is there such a thing as a cobra without lsd?

Minimum 8 lbs of boost - unsure if pulley was changed.
Gears are stock, I think 355 Mustang forum thinks 373. 410s will happen.
Yes, LSD - the 8.8 traction lock I think is what Ford calls it.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
When you upgrade the gears you have to likely update the LSD as well.
Damn 4.10s is nuts for a supercharged car... he probably can't hook those tires for shit.

As you know, this engine loves high RPMs. Everyone says 4.10 even in an SC Cobra is fine. 4.30 is where it gets to be too much for DD use.

Car doesn't hook as it is.... wider, stickier tires are super necessary.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

So this is likely your unit...

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30090

Safely increase your Cobra's horsepower from 305 to 442 and torque from 285 lb./ft. to 390 lb./ft..

So that is the "quoted" HP increase...

That motor puts out about 260whp stock in its "best" trim. The Supercharger from what I remember brings it to 360-380whp tops... over 400hp the motor can't really handle it and shit breaks... I am assuming you're running on a safe trim so I don't think you're anywhere over 400 WHP.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Minimum 8 lbs of boost - unsure if pulley was changed.
Gears are stock, I think 355 Mustang forum thinks 373. 410s will happen.
Yes, LSD - the 8.8 traction lock I think is what Ford calls it.

oh dang I thought you had 4.10's already

I want them on my car even though they won't make it faster on the (road course) track. More shifting = more fun.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

I want them on my car even though they won't make it faster on the (road course) track. More shifting = more fun.

Except mustang has a 5 speed T-45 the Rpms will be stupid high on the freeway with uprated rear gears. You're also causing a huge jump because the stock gears on a cobra are ~3.32 I believe

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Honestly I have no fucking clue since I did not put it on there. But, when I talked to Vortech and gave them the serial number to my SC and the numbers of the "chip" that I found that is what the dude told me was in the computer. I have not taken it to a dyno personally, but that is what he told me. Yes, he said wheel and not crank. He was very specific about it. He said there was some engine work done, but it did not say what. Just what the tune was supposed to put out. :iono:

For all I know it could be boosting 4 lbs and the tires suck so bad that it gives the impression that it is more. Eventually I will get it setup the way I want and get it dynoed and run it in the 1/4.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Except mustang has a 5 speed T-45 the Rpms will be stupid high on the freeway with uprated rear gears. You're also causing a huge jump because the stock gears on a cobra are ~3.32 I believe

3.27 stock.

I am never on the highway. Everyone on the forums says it is not as bad as you would think. I have been discussing this and reading up on it ad nauseam.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

My stock gears are 3.42, the jump is similar - but yeah I have a 6-speed with a .56 6th.

Still - a GTI probably has shorter gearing. Even my V8 S4 had really short gearing. It would make the car feel more "german" :lol:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
3.27 stock.

I am never on the highway. Everyone on the forums says it is not as bad as you would think. I have been discussing this and reading up on it ad nauseam.

You need a new driveshaft with 4.10s as well.

The forums are full of fuck nuts trying to build some stupid dyno queen cars that run on 4.30 gears and 15lb of boost blowing up engines/half shafts, transmissions and clutches in the process. That are undrivable on the freeway due to insane driveline vibrations and 4000 rpms at 80

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
You need a new driveshaft with 4.10s as well.

The forums are full of fuck nuts trying to build some stupid dyno queen cars that run on 4.30 gears and 15lb of boost blowing up engines/half shafts, transmissions and clutches in the process. That are undrivable on the freeway due to insane driveline vibrations and 4000 rpms at 80

Oh, I plan on getting an aluminum one sooner than later as well. Wider wheels, new driveshaft, new tune and gears are what is on the list for now. Once the motor finally has enough due to age/power/miles it will get rebuilt or possibly a Termi or Coyote swap.

I hear ya on the forum idiots. I mean shit, I am one myself! :lol:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I personally think 3.73 are the best gears for a modified street mustang IMO.
You may want to consider a 6 speed manual swap... but :laugh: at this point you might as well get an 03-04 coBRO and call it a day.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

The gearing in my C5 is honestly really practical from a performance and economy standpoint but it would be a lot more fun with shorter gears. Currently it's either barely shift at all or keep the car under 2500 rpms at all times.

Honestly I have no fucking clue since I did not put it on there. But, when I talked to Vortech and gave them the serial number to my SC and the numbers of the "chip" that I found that is what the dude told me was in the computer. I have not taken it to a dyno personally, but that is what he told me. Yes, he said wheel and not crank. He was very specific about it. He said there was some engine work done, but it did not say what. Just what the tune was supposed to put out. :iono:

For all I know it could be boosting 4 lbs and the tires suck so bad that it gives the impression that it is more. Eventually I will get it setup the way I want and get it dynoed and run it in the 1/4.

Damn, bold move buying an old ass modded Mustang without even knowing what's on there. It seems to be holding up well though.

You may want to consider a 6 speed manual swap... but :laugh: at this point you might as well get an 03-04 coBRO and call it a day.

He likes the old-ass reminiscing edition.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

If they were about 5k cheaper when I was buying, I would have gotten one. But I also wanted a convertible, which made the cost thing difficult.

I could have spent a little less on a truck to up the fun car budget, but it was hard to find the right truck used as I was looking for a certain setup concerning tow packages and axle ratios. New made it real easy.

But, a simple IRS swap and possible Termi motor and this thing will be like an 03-04 but WAY cheaper. A 6 speed would really only benefit MPG, so until this trnasmission craps out I will keep it. Maybe I will just dial up the power until it breaks! :laugh: