GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car starts and then dies

phuccer1

Ready to race!
So this morning, I go out to my car, try to start it up, and then it cranks for like 3-4 seconds and then it starts. I hear a really loud humming noise, and then the RPM drops and the car dies.

I thought it may have been my coils, and I just received some R8 coil packs in the mail yesterday, so I switched them out and still nothing.

When I try to give it a bit of gas before the RPM drops, it looks like it's about to go back to normal, and then the engine starts shaking really bad and then it dies again. When the car is dead, the two indicator lights that are on are the battery light and the engine light.

What do you guys think this could possibly be?

Edit* Car is a 2012 GTI with 84k miles. Only mod so far is Modshack Intake.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Maybe the HPFP?

#stabsinthedark

2lazy4agoodname

Ready to race!
Sounds fuel related. Is there a way to test pressure at the rail easily on these cars?

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Well, I guess it's time to put my extended warranty to use for the first time. I was hoping I'd be able to do something about it at home so I can get to work. Guess I'll just have to go to the dealer and get a rental for now.

Thanks guys.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
HPFP 100%

phuccer1

Ready to race!
PSA: Don't buy extended warranty from a dealership, if that dealership is a different brand than your vehicle.

So I bought my vehicle from a Toyota dealership, cause I got a pretty good deal on it. I ended up buying the extended warranty, because the guy told me that I could take it to any VW dealership. He gave me a tip that if I call in to the extended warranty and told them that they don't have a VW technician there and that I'd prefer to take it to a VW near me, I could do that.

So yesterday, I called the extended warranty, and they told me that I could take it to a VW, if the Toyota dealership is notified and agrees to sublet the vehicle to a VW dealership to handle the repair. I called the Toyota dealership to tell them the situation, and that I would prefer to take it to a VW dealership near me, then to get it towed to the Toyota dealership 30 miles away. They tried to forward me to an advisor who usually knows how to take care of this situation.

That advisor never picked up, nor returned my calls. Every other advisor I got transfered to, kept telling me NO, I had to get it towed there first to see if they can fix it or not. If not, they will get it transferred to a VW who can work on it. So I said fine, send me a tow truck, which was covered under warranty to take back to the Toyota dealership. The tow truck guy gets here and tells me the exact same thing. Try to get them to let me take it to VW dealership because what I'm about to explain, is what he told me will happen.

I get there, thinking it was going to be okay, because I can use my warranty coverage for a rental up to 5 days. When I get there, the advisor tells me that I have to wait until they run a diagnostic to see if the repair will be covered. If I am covered for the repair, I am covered for the rental. She then tells me, that she probably won't know if it will be covered until today, or Monday.

So I ask her, WTF do I do? Because I am now 30 miles away from home, you won't cover my rental, and you won't know if I will be covered until tomorrow or Monday? WTF? So she speaks to her foreman, and gets the diagnostic schedule moved up.

I wait for 4 hours...and she had the fucking nerve, to tell me that they ran the diagnostic, and don't know what the fault code means. So now she must get it over to a VW dealership. She still can't guarantee that I will be covered or not until VW checks it out....which she won't know until Monday.

I was PISSED. I asked them why the fuck didn't they just allow me to take it straight to VW in the first place, and then they started pointing fingers, saying that advisors should have agreed to sublet to a VW in the first place. Sadly, I forgot the name of the people that I spoke with.

They eventually agreed to get me into a rental and agreed to cover it if my repair is covered. But man, what a waste of fucking time.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
That sucks, I bought mine from the VW dealership with a VW CPO. It is an extension of the factory warranty. Well worth the extra $ spent.

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Yeah, I immediately wished I took it to a VW after, and possibly paid a little bit more for their extended instead.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
did they tell you what the codes were?

Mostly any warranty sold at ANY dealer is a third party one. They range from decent to just plain shitty. Do your research before buying any warranty through a dealer on any car purchase.

OP, HumbleMech did a video on this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3I9qvyNzl4

You can test the HPFP w/ looking at that address and seeing if you are reading the right PSI at idle. The HPFP is covered under Vws 60k power train warranty. I see that you are @ 80k. After proper diag. the HPFP can be bought for under $300 and replaced w/ a simple DIY (shopdap has a excellent video on doing this), its a 30min job.

Op, you are going to get tugged around w/ your warranty people and I got a feeling they won't be able to fix it or will take a while to get it right. You can cancel your warranty at any time and get the prorated money back, just FYI.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I can speak from firsthand experience on the warranty thing. I purchased my former 2006 mustang GT used with a five year warranty from a Dodge dealer in 2007. In 2009 I needed to use said warranty and the company was out of business due to bankruptcy. That was an utter waste of $2500