GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat15: Sushi Now Made With Real Tuna - Not That Fast Food Tuna - Jaber Rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Grattan FTMFW.

Dat EJ grill action, wow.

PTAK feelz :( dat pay increase dough, doe.

Sanderzzz and the hand placementz.

Bye Felicia Tuna Style.

balls.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Oh no, I thought you liked the new gig. What's up, is your line of work just the suck in general?

Dang, sorry to hear. Que paso?

PTAK feelz :( dat pay increase dough, doe.

It's kinda tough to describe in a concise post. Being the new guy, the last few months when I saw stuff that didn't make sense, I just assumed I was missing something because I was new. The more I dig in now.... the more disappointed I've become. Not much in the way of real talent working here. A few bright stars but most of the entry- and mid-level guys are really lacking. I've never really cared for MY manager, I figured out pretty quickly when I started here that I'm smarter than he is... he's one of those guys that speaks in buzzword bingo the whole time, and can never answer a direct question. The team's purpose and direction is unclear and no one in my leadership chain seems to be willing to answer questions about it.

I used to run this team at my old employer and I find myself in a constant state of :eek: lately. Basic things we should be doing, we are not doing. Company-wide policies are essentially the equivalent of stapling a marathon runners feet to the ground, then telling him to go run a marathon.

We had layoffs a few weeks ago, and cut a bunch of people from the team PLUS cut about 20 open heads. So far they've told us that at least half the stuff we WERE doing, we WON'T be doing... but can't tell us what we WILL be doing.

Overall, it's just a mess. I don't have faith in the leadership and do not like getting buzzword bingo answers that never actually answer the questions I'm asking. To me it demonstrates that they, too, don't actually understand what we're trying to do here... so they cover it up with fancy big words and hope that they just lose you in the answer.

I'm headed back to NYC in a few weeks where they have promised to "unveil" the new team direction. I'm giving them until then before making any permanent decisions, just in case they do manage to sell me on the future here.

I already have one conversation going with a recruiter for a place up the road, and am thinking about poking the head hunter that got me the gig here to see what else he's got.

The paycheck still cashes so for now I'm good. Really, I was underpaid (substantially) at my previous gig. The bump here was more of a "correction" than anything else.

Yeah, I knew you would say that and you are correct ;). But, I can also go run with SCCA on bigger courses with lots of competition and still save money. The Pcar has too small of front tires, just realized the winters were bigger up front then the summers it came with. Explains the understeer. Guess I need bigger tires and Moar camber.

True... some SCCA courses are bigger, and for sure, more competition. But you'll only get 4 runs.

The ~3 reasons I don't run with the SCCA:
  • Only 4 runs
  • Most of the guys there take their autocross WAY more seriously than I do. Not that there is anything wrong with that.... but I AX for fun. It's cheap, I get my competitive fix, etc. The guys there, I've found, are a lot more secretive, messing around with 0.25psi tire pressure differences, sitting around with their "game face" on the whole time, etc. Again, nothing wrong with that... it's just not me. If I had a deeper wallet to where I could afford it... I'd be out at a real track every weekend vs. a parking lot.
  • Their classification system is not friendly to older cars, or cars modified for "fun" vs. cars modified specifically to an AX class. My 944, with the mods it has, gets dumped into the "retarded" class. I'd never be competitive with it.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Damn homie, what happened to the Spanish love #BrownAtHeart

Much more of a .45 ACP type tbh

I'm more of a 9mm guy. Only 45 I've enjoyed shooting is the 1911's. Those things are lovely.

Bumping this because it's the best post in the past 2 days. Those steaks look pretty damn good. in4steaksanddubs

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's kinda tough to describe in a concise post. Being the new guy, the last few months when I saw stuff that didn't make sense, I just assumed I was missing something because I was new. The more I dig in now.... the more disappointed I've become. Not much in the way of real talent working here. A few bright stars but most of the entry- and mid-level guys are really lacking. I've never really cared for MY manager, I figured out pretty quickly when I started here that I'm smarter than he is... he's one of those guys that speaks in buzzword bingo the whole time, and can never answer a direct question. The team's purpose and direction is unclear and no one in my leadership chain seems to be willing to answer questions about it.

I used to run this team at my old employer and I find myself in a constant state of :eek: lately. Basic things we should be doing, we are not doing. Company-wide policies are essentially the equivalent of stapling a marathon runners feet to the ground, then telling him to go run a marathon.

We had layoffs a few weeks ago, and cut a bunch of people from the team PLUS cut about 20 open heads. So far they've told us that at least half the stuff we WERE doing, we WON'T be doing... but can't tell us what we WILL be doing.

Overall, it's just a mess. I don't have faith in the leadership and do not like getting buzzword bingo answers that never actually answer the questions I'm asking. To me it demonstrates that they, too, don't actually understand what we're trying to do here... so they cover it up with fancy big words and hope that they just lose you in the answer.

I'm headed back to NYC in a few weeks where they have promised to "unveil" the new team direction. I'm giving them until then before making any permanent decisions, just in case they do manage to sell me on the future here.

I already have one conversation going with a recruiter for a place up the road, and am thinking about poking the head hunter that got me the gig here to see what else he's got.

The paycheck still cashes so for now I'm good. Really, I was underpaid (substantially) at my previous gig. The bump here was more of a "correction" than anything else.

I feel you, dude. When I came to my current gig almost 2 years ago, its still never felt exactly "normal" or "right" for me. Don't really feel like part of a team, and there is a lot of "talk', but not much action. I absolutely hate the corporate buzzword shit, even more when its not someone I expect it from like the CEO or COO, etc.. but when more "normal" people are using them its like, stop bullshitting me , will ya? lol...

well, hang in there and see what is going on. I know I felt within the first 3months that I was totally miserable and either going to have to leave or being super paranoid that I could get canned or whatever. I gave it time, and while its much much better now, its still not 100%, but then again, what place is? ya know?

I try to keep focusing on the positives like the pay, the flexibility (mostly flexible / WFH 2 days a week), and the freedom, but yes, dealing with stupid people, weird people, and/or having a strange or not normal environment is still tough to work with, no matter what the salary or work is like, I hear you. See what the coming months bring or what the headhunter says perhaps and go from there.

Dat ban comment and bromance :laugh:

^ LOL.

I'm more of a 9mm guy. Only 45 I've enjoyed shooting is the 1911's. Those things are lovely.

same, I sold my .45 for a 9. then sold the 9 cos it just wasn't working for me.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I feel you, dude. When I came to my current gig almost 2 years ago, its still never felt exactly "normal" or "right" for me. Don't really feel like part of a team, and there is a lot of "talk', but not much action. I absolutely hate the corporate buzzword shit, even more when its not someone I expect it from like the CEO or COO, etc.. but when more "normal" people are using them its like, stop bullshitting me , will ya? lol...

Yeah. See I've worked for C-level folks that could drop the corporate press release buzzword speak and just explain in laymans terms what they were trying to accomplish.

IMO, the sign of intelligence is being able to explain what you/we do here to someone you respect, but you know doesn't understand it, clearly without making them feel stupid or lost. It's actually one of my interview screening questions: How would you explain x-y-z to your grandmother?

There's people here who CAN do that. I just find that they are few and far between.

well, hang in there and see what is going on. I know I felt within the first 3months that I was totally miserable and either going to have to leave or being super paranoid that I could get canned or whatever. I gave it time, and while its much much better now, its still not 100%, but then again, what place is? ya know?

Yeah. I've been convincing myself to hang on... but I've gone from "I'm clearly missing something here" to "holy shit I *wasn't* missing something here" I mean, they have great potential, a great product, and from my view of the industry, they are positioned excellently. We are ahead of where the industry is going to go... I'm certain of it.

I'm just really lacking faith in the leadership (below the visionary C-level folks) to actually execute and get us/keep us there. Though I don't feel much faith for the C-levels either. It's starting to come down to: Do I want to stick around and try to enact some serious change here? Will my current manager (who is pretty clearly threatened by me) even allow it if I did?

I try to keep focusing on the positives like the pay, the flexibility (mostly flexible / WFH 2 days a week), and the freedom, but yes, dealing with stupid people, weird people, and/or having a strange or not normal environment is still tough to work with, no matter what the salary or work is like, I hear you. See what the coming months bring or what the headhunter says perhaps and go from there.

Yeah. The pay is appropriate. I don't have much in the way of flexibility or freedom (see aforementioned manager). Right now I don't have much direction and the few big projects I was working on were canceled with the layoffs, so at this point... I'm just kinda spinning my wheels and treading water, sticking my nose into other things (and coming away like this: :eek: )

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
This is sorta kinda my life, usually I'm the guy behind the desk listening to morons drop buzzwords, and then I'm the one who winds up calling them on their shit.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

Bumping this because it's the best post in the past 2 days. Those steaks look pretty damn good. in4steaksanddubs

Mah Frank

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah. See I've worked for C-level folks that could drop the corporate press release buzzword speak and just explain in laymans terms what they were trying to accomplish.

IMO, the sign of intelligence is being able to explain what you/we do here to someone you respect, but you know doesn't understand it, clearly without making them feel stupid or lost. It's actually one of my interview screening questions: How would you explain x-y-z to your grandmother?

There's people here who CAN do that. I just find that they are few and far between.

Yeah. I've been convincing myself to hang on... but I've gone from "I'm clearly missing something here" to "holy shit I *wasn't* missing something here" I mean, they have great potential, a great product, and from my view of the industry, they are positioned excellently. We are ahead of where the industry is going to go... I'm certain of it.

I'm just really lacking faith in the leadership (below the visionary C-level folks) to actually execute and get us/keep us there. Though I don't feel much faith for the C-levels either. It's starting to come down to: Do I want to stick around and try to enact some serious change here? Will my current manager (who is pretty clearly threatened by me) even allow it if I did?

Yeah. The pay is appropriate. I don't have much in the way of flexibility or freedom (see aforementioned manager). Right now I don't have much direction and the few big projects I was working on were canceled with the layoffs, so at this point... I'm just kinda spinning my wheels and treading water, sticking my nose into other things (and coming away like this: :eek: )

yeah.

I hear ya, that is tough with management like that, both upper/below C-level and direct. True, some of those higher up people can talk in layman terms, which is always beneficial. But yes, politics comes into play with those above you if they feel threatened by you or your ideas which would actually help the company, but it shows them in a negative light, thus they want to steer clear of it. I agree 100% on the true sign of intelligence and for sure on the interview questioning - explain that so someone not in this industry has some fucking inkling of what the hell you just said. Time will tell man, but hang in there.

This is sorta kinda my life, usually I'm the guy behind the desk listening to morons drop buzzwords, and then I'm the one who winds up calling them on their shit.

bahahaha, that is amazing!! very true.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Unreal the amount of working space in that thing

Status
Not open for further replies.