GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I just tossed all my craftsmen ratchets. Surprisingly a stanley 3/8 that I've had for years has been pretty good. It's not a super fancy fine tooth though.

I did just spend a little bit and picked this up the other week. Have used it a few times now and think it's worth every penny.
https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/BFR158LFG/3-8-15-88TH-LF-RATCHET-GREEN/

Oh that's nice.

I've got a similar-ish one but SnapOn. Frickin love it so much I also bought one in 1/4" drive.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
LOL

I've had my fair share of car parts in the house over the years. Wife tolerated the 944 hood in the living room for a few months several years ago.

Now I have to be careful because if I can't make stuff fit, the wife starts talking about "Lets buy a new house" and I'm not prepared to go down that route.

Haha. I currently have a MK6 GTI hatch in my living room. They were going to just throw it away. Has a small dent but who cares :iono: will hang in a garage someday.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
I have now resorted to storing parts in the back of my truck because I have run out of room in the garage.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Lol refreshing to see how many of you also have tools strewed throughout your homes. I thought i was the only one.

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
I could of used that press yesterday. Had to "press" the 3 lug nuts into the steel plate to mount the spare. I used the hammer method and it worked pretty good. $180 for a press that might get used once every 5 years? Must be nice to have disposable income!

If you move your business to Elk Grove and we become BFFs, we can share mine.

I just bought one of those yesterday to press out the thrust arm bushings on my new control arms (to be replaced with gooder ones that don't have rubber).

All the times I did wheel bearings on the old 944 with a driver and hammer... f*** why didn't I just buy one of these presses?

In other news - DO NOT TRUST CRAFTSMAN TORQUE WRENCHES.

A few months ago I bought a nice new digital torque wrench, it was on sale for 50% off at Sears and says it has a range of 5-80 ftlb. I don't have any wrenches that go that low other than a small Harbor Freight one which I've never been sure I trusted so I sprung for it.

First time I used it was yesterday. It over-torques the SHIT out of everything. I used it on the ball joints (to 55) and it went WAY past 55 before it clicked. Same with the strut pinch bolts.

I didn't realize it was going over though... and used it (set to 20) on my new camber plate bolts (where the camber plate bolts to the strut tower). Bolts are pressed into the plate, stick up through the tower, nut and washer go on top. It took a little tension as I know it was pulling/walking up the plate, but noticed, "huh, I've been turning it a lot and it hasn't really clicked..." Fucking stripped the nut threads... now the nut just spins. Won't torque down, nor will it spin off the stud.

So... anybody ever used one of these things? https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...-tool/oem-7-8-in-nut-splitting-tool/70112_0_0

Amazon reviews are so-so. Thinking I might try it. I'd use a Dremel and cut the nut but I don't think I have the room, even with a small radius cutting wheel there's not much way to avoid the wheel hitting the strut tower itself...

A torque wrench is something you shouldn’t cheap out on. That being said the Snapons of the world are over priced. Years ago I stumbled on Precision Instruments Split And their split beam line. They do not need to be recalibrated as often or lose accuracy if you don’t zero like a traditional. They manufacture them for SnapOff from what I remember and are great.

Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F Silver 1/2" Drive Split Beam Torque Wrench with Flex Head https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XMSFIM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dJgSAb9M19FRQ

It's a harbor freight 12 ton press. Works fine for what I need. Only thing I will probably end up buying new plates for it that have screws to hold the position.

Love mine as well, I bought it last year to do all the wheel bearings in my buddies Slow2k.

Thats good that you have cool neighbors, only takes one bad neighbor to ruin the whole street.

Have no paid for tree removal myself but have seen estimates for others...its quite expensive for what seems to be a simple job.

It’s crazy expensive, the giant dead cottonwood was $2k. I’ll be out $8k on everything, but I will have removed 15 large trees and a shit ton of buckthorn and smaller trees. My grandfather has to be rolling in his grave though. We would just push over most of these with the backhoe and then make a huge ass bonfire back home on the farm.

How was everyones weekend? I looked at a bunch of places to move. Haven't found anything yet. Made some amazing steaks on the grill last night, turned out perfect.

I damaged one of my control arms pressing out the old bushing too. Sucks. Seems pressing out the inner sleeve and then cutting out the outer ring is the way to go rather than trying to press out the outer sleeve. Oh well.

It was my last few days of Paternity leave, but I got a lot done around the house and spent some good time with both boys.

I feel your pain on the Control Arm, I did the same pressing out the pillow balls out of the rear lower control arms on my Fd back in the day. But, that screw up cost me $50 on a used part, nothing like what over heating and blowing the coolant seals is going to cost me :(

Does anyone think 707 hp + rwd + manual might be a handful to drive?

Only for our wives. But, I thought you like PlayStations to do your shifting?

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
It’s crazy expensive, the giant dead cottonwood was $2k. I’ll be out $8k on everything, but I will have removed 15 large trees and a shit ton of buckthorn and smaller trees.

Dang 8K :( . I have 3 medium/large pines and a medium sized maple I want to remove and a huge maple that I want to keep that needs major trimming though, and some smaller buckthorn. I was hoping to keep it under $3K. Did that 8K include grinding down the stumps?

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
If you move your business to Elk Grove and we become BFFs, we can share mine.

Only for our wives. But, I thought you like PlayStations to do your shifting?

I am heavily leaning towards the 5 minute from my house location.

We found a small 1/2 acre lot 5 minute from my house. Based on the buildings next door, I can build almost 9K sq ft. My target was 10K and rent 2500ish.

Drew this up quick. Def. doable. Just need to figure out the ideal size for the lease side. @1200 sq ft with garage, it's worth about $900/mo.

Benefit of having the shop that close to home is that I can move all my tools there and use that as my new "home" garage. It's also pretty central to all the highways (294/53, 94 spur).

Coincidentally enough, the land is 2 buildings away from an old friend that I had a falling out with 15 years ago. He went off to start a very successful business. Anyone from the MFBA days probably knows who I am talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.