GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Masters Special for Forum Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Bowers

Yes it is, but the problem they have is that too many people that don't do the install correct end up blaming SB.

And that is the issue......installation. I have heard so many variants of the install.....I still don't know what is right or wrong.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

And that is the issue......installation. I have heard so many variants of the install.....I still don't know what is right or wrong.....

Well this is exactly what Jon at SB told me. If the car has low miles and the OEM disk still has plenty of material on it then the OEM pressure plate does not need to be reset.

If the disk is really worn down or has really high miles on it then the OEM pressure plate needs to be reset.

The drop in disk really needs to be used with a pressure plate that has low miles on it or with a brand new pressure plate which will be reset anyway.

A_Bowers

Well this is exactly what Jon at SB told me. If the car has low miles and the OEM disk still has plenty of material on it then the OEM pressure plate does not need to be reset.

If the disk is really worn down or has really high miles on it then the OEM pressure plate needs to be reset.

The drop in disk really needs to be used with a pressure plate that has low miles on it or with a brand new pressure plate which will be reset anyway.

Well thats good...mine had 4500-5k on it when it went in. :D

I think the next step would be to show how to properly reset it.
That would quell the issues with that product.

A_Bowers

I can see if SB has a video showing how to reset the Luk pressure plate or see if they can make one.

I think that is an excellent idea. There has been one guy already who has had a VERY bad experience with this due to a bad install.

Thanks Mike!!!

raaalph

Ready to race!

This is what pushed me toward the Clutch Masters disc + pressure plate setup. Could my stock pressure plate be salvaged after 37k+ miles? Probably. Do I feel more confident having the shop install a new pressure plate instead? Hell yeah

A_Bowers

This is what pushed me toward the Clutch Masters disc + pressure plate setup. Could my stock pressure plate be salvaged after 37k+ miles? Probably. Do I feel more confident having the shop install a new pressure plate instead? Hell yeah

I may end up going that route before its all said and done with....just for the extra peace of mind :D

That looks nothing like my pressure plate. There were no springs as shown...

I will have to see if I can find something like that for the MK6 Luk pressure plate.

Here I found this video posted on Vortex. It just shows how this type of Luk pressure plate works, it doesn't show how to reset it.

Here is a link to another thread on Vortex showing and explaining how to reset the TSI luk pressure plate.

Info for people that don't want to click on the link. It can be done like this or with a press.

If someone wants to move this info to the Clutch thread they can do that and then I can delete it from this thread.

Since not everyone has an arbor press sitting around, I came up with a tool to reset the factory pressure plate. Use a 3/4" X 12" threaded rod, a couple 3/4" nuts, washers, and a 1" washer and you're all set.

Here it is folks:

Pretend that the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel. -This is just for pictures.

Kinda hard to see, but it's all set

Tighten the bolts enought to disengage the clutch, then use a flat head screwdriver to shift the sliding disk thingies until the notches line back up.

Last edited:

ehancock

Ready to race!
I'm installing my k04 within the next month here. I'm at 60k and my clutch slipped a bit on stage 2 with 100 octane so i assume i'll be needing a new clutch very soon.

There's no way i can afford any of the clutch kits that come with a new flywheel as they're all over 1k. The way i see it, my options are either a SB drop in at ~$359 , or the lowest CM kit i can get is the FX350 and that's ~$846.

There are a bunch of people using the SB drop-in without issue, but they all seem to be at lower miles than me. From a strictly miles standpoint do you think i would have issues reusing my stock PP and FW? HSTuning would be my installer and i have faith they know what they're doing no matter what kit i buy.

I'm installing my k04 within the next month here. I'm at 60k and my clutch slipped a bit on stage 2 with 100 octane so i assume i'll be needing a new clutch very soon.

There's no way i can afford any of the clutch kits that come with a new flywheel as they're all over 1k. The way i see it, my options are either a SB drop in at ~$359 , or the lowest CM kit i can get is the FX350 and that's ~$846.

There are a bunch of people using the SB drop-in without issue, but they all seem to be at lower miles than me. From a strictly miles standpoint do you think i would have issues reusing my stock PP and FW? HSTuning would be my installer and i have faith they know what they're doing no matter what kit i buy.

Why is $846 the lowest you can find the FX350? If you use the forum discount I offer on the FX350 you will be paying 10% less then $846 and that includes shipping in the United States.

As for your flywheel and stock PP, you will want them to check it because with that amount of miles they might need to be resurfaced.

CW12

Ready to race!
Waiting on my tax check to be deposited, and I will be buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.