GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Tuning Accessport now Supports 2010-2014 Mk6 GTI!

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
What kind of shenanigans is this? There arent more than 3-4 BT guys in all the lands yet none of you are being tuned...

:thumbsup:

This can't be true ... there must be a lot more than a handful of big turbo GTIs around. I assume the K04 variants are not considered big turbos?

I am also surprised I don't see a number of GTX2860-GTX2867 cars running around. Those are very well suited to the 2.0.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Give it time. It takes R&D to develop new maps for new platforms so give it time or create your own.

Can't create your own, Cobb has no way currently of even flashing those ecus

Nope it's a different BT GTi. Not Andre's either.

More details please

This can't be true ... there must be a lot more than a handful of big turbo GTIs around. I assume the K04 variants are not considered big turbos?

I am also surprised I don't see a number of GTX2860-GTX2867 cars running around. Those are very well suited to the 2.0.

Calling a k04 big turbo is 50/50, to most it's not because is a marginally larger oem turbo.

There aren't that many big turbo GTIs as in legit aftermarket turbos/kits. A lot of ppl don't see the value in spending twice as much for not huge gains over a k04. Also the fueling limitation kills it for most. Even if you put a bigger turbo in you still kind of bottleneck at the 400whp range on pump gas without changing our more stuff.

Also the mk6 (and mk7)def seems to be the civic of the Vw world in terms of a new or fairly new model. Most tend to just want wheels and suspension so they can look cool. Or want the cheapest mods and upgrades they can find which means most aren't going to invest big money in proper big turbo stuff. It's not like the older platforms where 1.8T guys would drop $10k without a second thought on a turbo kit and a bunch of other stuff. For example I never until the mk6 had customer complain because they we didn't sell intakes as cheap as the ones on eBay or that you couldn't get $200 tunes, etc

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
yea nowadays, I see it everywhere. the scene has transgressed into a non performance oriented scene. it's sad that nowadays wheels are considered legit mods. where several years ago if it didn't actually add power or enhance performance it wasn't considered a mod.

K04 is like Jetta said. hardly big turbo. but it boils down to not many people wanting to go the route of power these days.

i was vending at a big car event a couple weeks ago. every car at my booth was making 500hp-1000hp. sick builds. but what do you think was shown in the event coverage video? wheels and airbags. lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
I've been looking for some big turbo guys in my area. most I'm finding are K04 equipped. or people that only want to go k04. no one wanting to push the envelope.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

No theres a decent amount. But on the forums that are active i can only think of about 10 guys.
As other have stated most people just dont justify the 3x price tag vs k04 when most OTS stage 3 kits only make 50-100whp more than a k04.

Most people on here ive noticed besides a strict few are only looking for the direct plug and play and do not want to do any auxiliary fueling or 5th injector etc to make up the gap when our fueling cuts out.

I for one have dabbled in the idea of going BT like a GTX28 or GTX30. But when i think about the additional things i may need to do like rods and fueling to utilize those kits... It kind of puts me off. Granted for OTS apr stage 3 you dont "need" rods but its usually highly recomended. Granted some people have no issues with their stock motor running higher HP.. i for one can not risk that as this being my only vehicle. So i would want to build it to keep it "safe"
Plus with just the peripherals of a turbo kit build like Inter-cooler, motor mounts, TOP and TBP along with the kit you're looking like 6-7k(and then add in rods etc if you need/want that just adds more) without labor for a stage 3 kit. and about 3.5-4.5k for a k04 with full bolt ons. Speaking of new purchases obviously you could cut cost buying used... but i for one would never buy a turbo/kit used, but thats just my personal opinion.

Im always plauged with the this or that scenario right now as i dont have money for either at the moment. So im luxirous in going back and forth on turbo options.
Sometimes at the end of a big "window online shopping spree" i think maybe i should just stay stock turbo and call it a day. :/

13jerm

What hardware are u running?

I have the full Cobb Stage 2 package. On the dyno we saw an increase of 50 ft/lb peak and 25hp peak, with a much smoother power curve. There are places in the power band where the car picked up 40hp.

13jerm

I for one have dabbled in the idea of going BT like a GTX28 or GTX30. But when i think about the additional things i may need to do like rods and fueling to utilize those kits... It kind of puts me off.

What fueling upgrades are available for the TSI?

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
I've been looking for some big turbo guys in my area. most I'm finding are K04 equipped. or people that only want to go k04. no one wanting to push the envelope.

How about one step at a time.

You are saying there are plenty of K04 cars around which is true so how about tuning a K04 with the Cobb AP and shows us a dyno of what can be done.

IMO if your Cobb AP K04 tune met or exceeded the competition you might find it to be quite rewarding as you would have many more K04 cars to sell to than an ultimate tune for a big turbo car which seem to be far fewer in number.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Injectors and low pressure pump, beyond that its adding additional injectors with auxiliary controllers which most dont want to have to get into that deep.

This. I wouldnt totally mind if it was just a injector upgrade or fuel pump. But i dont wanna mess with adding additional injectors with controllers etcs.

How about one step at a time.

You are saying there are plenty of K04 cars around which is true so how about tuning a K04 with the Cobb AP and shows us a dyno of what can be done.

IMO if your Cobb AP K04 tune met or exceeded the competition you might find it to be quite rewarding as you would have many more K04 cars to sell to than an ultimate tune for a big turbo car which seem to be far fewer in number.

I think he said he was already tuning like 3 k04 cars.
And that he was looking for a F23T car and big turbo guys to explore those options.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
If 3 K04 cars are being tuned now how long will it be before at least one is done and could you post some dyno results.

Also I have the MED 17.5.2 ECU and would like to know if the Cobb AP will work on my ECU and if not how long before I can buy the Cobb AP and have it work on my car?

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Calling a k04 big turbo is 50/50, to most it's not because is a marginally larger oem turbo.

There aren't that many big turbo GTIs as in legit aftermarket turbos/kits. A lot of ppl don't see the value in spending twice as much for not huge gains over a k04. Also the fueling limitation kills it for most. Even if you put a bigger turbo in you still kind of bottleneck at the 400whp range on pump gas without changing our more stuff.

Also the mk6 (and mk7)def seems to be the civic of the Vw world in terms of a new or fairly new model. Most tend to just want wheels and suspension so they can look cool. Or want the cheapest mods and upgrades they can find which means most aren't going to invest big money in proper big turbo stuff. It's not like the older platforms where 1.8T guys would drop $10k without a second thought on a turbo kit and a bunch of other stuff. For example I never until the mk6 had customer complain because they we didn't sell intakes as cheap as the ones on eBay or that you couldn't get $200 tunes, etc

The K04 and making 350whp with one is a nice place to be when balancing out the FWD chassis with putting power down. It's nice that there is that cheaper option available. I feel that having a car like this in the 350-450whp range fits the capabilities of the chassis well and is in the fun to drive category without being too frustrated by excessive lag or a poor power band for street driving.

Other than the K04 varieties, the new Garrett GTX28 series turbos are a very nice option that spools quickly and operates at a high pressure ratio while producing good airflow up top.

EFR 6758 is also a great match for this engine.

These two turbos will elevate performance above a K04 and as always the more power you want the more you have to spend ... and it's not in a linear fashion.

I felt that the lack of the more varied BT builds stemmed from a lack of available tuning solutions for something that is not off the shelf. This is becoming quickly resolved via the AP.