GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
that is my biggest concern. i'm on the fence and i'm deciding whether i want to pull the trigger or not.

i already have unitronic, but i'm currently stock because i went in for the ECU recall. i can get uniconnect+ and call it a day, or, i can get cobb (because i like all the AP features), and sacrifice in performance and wait for who knows how long to get the equivalent performance.

it took APR 7 years to get their v2 out, which means it's possible that it could take Cobb/protuners up to 7 years to gain the expertise to tune our ECUs to get the equivalent gains.

based on what TwistedTuning said, if the ECU has thousands of tables, that is a humongous amount of testing that needs to be done, because each table could affect all the other tables, so you would need to do many dyno runs to isolate each change you make.

How much is the uniconnect+? Why not just get that for the time being since you already have Unitronic and then if Cobb ends up panning out in the next year, you can always switch it up.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
How much is the uniconnect+? Why not just get that for the time being since you already have Unitronic and then if Cobb ends up panning out in the next year, you can always switch it up.
i'm just trying to be frugal with where i spend my money. if i wanted to stay at stage 1+ i'd stick with unitronic, but because i want to go stage 2 this spring it complicates things a bit.

uniconnect+ is $150. i plan on going stage 2 soon, which is an additional $100 from my 1+ tune. however, for just $100 more i can also get their K04. so all in, it's $350 to get everything from unitronic up to K04.

cobb is at $650. so for $300 more, i get stage 1 and 2 now, and i need to wait for 1) a map that supports the stock MAF aftermarket intakes (which they announced they're working on), and 2) a stage 2 map that supports the stock catback (their website says their map only supports full catback, with no announcement).

K04 is unannounced as well, where they redirect you to protuners. and again, because this is so new, protuners will unlikely have the experience to tune K04s to the level of performance available from unitronic.

and of course, the last curve ball here is that AP will have resale value, whereas everything i put into unitronic is gone...

so yea, decisions decisions....

Last edited:

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
Also, these ECU are similar to quite a bit of other things out there in terms of their logic. Not identical, but similar.

I honestly don't think it'll take Cobb 7 years to improve their OTS tunes. And definitely don't think it'll take a committed Protuner long either.

Looking at the tables and logic this ECU is a blend of BMW and Volvo logic that I've dealt with. Again not identical. But similar.

I'm very happy Cobb has come forth with this as I've always had a want in freely calibrating GTIs and some other VW offerings. I actually always felt a little said for some of the VW crowd since most of the market is mostly OTS generic cookie cutter based tunes.

This opens up a lot for a lot of people. Tuners and Owners alike. I'm looking forward to tuning more of these vehicles. So m definitely going to personally finds ways to make more viable power with them.

Just show your support and make requests when you think of Something that may be beneficial.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
depends on the vehicle honestly, but price starts at $150 on up to $800 or so. for the Cobb supported VW's $250 to start.

Thanks.. Appreciate the estimate.. I'm just waiting for K04 support before I start thinking about pulling the trigger.

Azzore1

Ready to race!
Thanks.. Appreciate the estimate.. I'm just waiting for K04 support before I start thinking about pulling the trigger.

Why not buy the AP and protune right away. See if a protuner will make you a deal then think about it.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
woohoo, finally got a reply from cobb support.

my question:
hello,

i had some questions regarding the accessport for the VW GTI MK6.

i frequent the forums and you stated that you had plans to release maps that would support the stock MAF, thereby allowing other aftermarket intakes to be compatible with your tune.

i already have an aftermarket intake, and i want to get a downpipe in the next month or two, and i was wondering if you had any ETA of when maps will be released for stage 2 that would be compatible with aftermarket intakes that utilize the stock MAF.

thanks

cobb's response:
Thanks for getting in contact with us! We have looked into producing an intake that uses the stock MAF-housing, and would put out maps to be compatible with that intake, likely including the Stage 2 maps. However, I am not aware of a solid time-frame for this process, and would not expect this for at least 8-12 months. If you would like to run the intake that you currently have installed with an upgraded downpipe, you can get in contact with one of our Cobb-certified Protuners to have a custom map developed for you! Check out the link below to find a Protuner near you!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/dealers/

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
Why not buy the AP and protune right away. See if a protuner will make you a deal then think about it.
This makes a helluva lot more sense than waiting for an OTS offering. Yes you have to pay a little for it. But it's tailored to your car.

siupo1281

Ready to race!
i am in the same situtation. debating on apr or cobb. finally ordered a cobb last week and playing with it for a day. if i dont like the cobb i can always sell it. now i only have the cts tuning intake and running the cobb 91 high boost. feel happy about it

rawag77

Ready to race!
i am in the same situtation. debating on apr or cobb. finally ordered a cobb last week and playing with it for a day. if i dont like the cobb i can always sell it. now i only have the cts tuning intake and running the cobb 91 high boost. feel happy about it

Manual or dsg? If manual and stock clutch, are you having any slipping?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know how the cobb stage 2 compares to GIAC stage 2 performance wise? Besides the whole access port switching, is it more aggressive?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
This makes a helluva lot more sense than waiting for an OTS offering. Yes you have to pay a little for it. But it's tailored to your car.

Exactly what I want to do since I'm KO4 FSI. BUT, Mk5.:(

8-12 months?!? :eek:

Yes, but they also said a custom pro-tuned map can be set up to that car specifically running a different intake at one of their certified tuners.

Does anyone know how the cobb stage 2 compares to GIAC stage 2 performance wise? Besides the whole access port switching, is it more aggressive?

Just from reading this thread, it doesn't sound as aggressive yet (torque wise at least) with the OTS tunes. Pro-tuning? Who knows, it's still too early to tell I think. Everyone with it says it pulls up top pretty hard, but GIAC will too.

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
Pro tuning is already available for those wishing to go that route. It's not really difficult to set up the car for a different intake.

The positive about a protune is that it's setup for your car. And you make more power and can get it setup exactly how you want it for the most part.