GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Common rattling noise between 2500-3000rpm cause

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
Ok, so I had a service appointment today and mentioned the TSB out for the wastegate rattling complaint. For some reason I couldn't get the it to rattle very much on the test drive with the tech, but I did convince him to perform the TSB anyways.

He said that at this point VW is just collecting data and a fix may be available in the future. He also said that the technical support guy he spoke with said that VW thinks the cause of the rattling is the catalytic converter heat shield rattling and creating a harmonic that rattles the actuator rod on the wastegate. I think that is a very strange diagnosis. :p

So in the end the rattling is still there, VW is collecting data from customer complaints, and no fix has been released. I would encourage everyone to make a service appointment to get it looked at so more data can be collected.

EDIT: Even if the addition of the 2-ounce wheel weight alleviated the rattle, the TSB indicates that the tech should remove the weight and leave it the way it was and report the outcome.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Ok, so I had a service appointment today and mentioned the TSB out for the wastegate rattling complaint. For some reason I couldn't get the it to rattle very much on the test drive with the tech, but I did convince him to perform the TSB anyways.

He said that at this point VW is just collecting data and a fix may be available in the future. He also said that the technical support guy he spoke with said that VW thinks the cause of the rattling is the catalytic converter heat shield rattling and creating a harmonic that rattles the actuator rod on the wastegate. I think that is a very strange diagnosis. :p

So in the end the rattling is still there, VW is collecting data from customer complaints, and no fix has been released. I would encourage everyone to make a service appointment to get it looked at so more data can be collected.

EDIT: Even if the addition of the 2-ounce wheel weight alleviated the rattle, the TSB indicates that the tech should remove the weight and leave it the way it was and report the outcome.

Guys, Have any of you tried playing with the foil heat shield? When I installed my downpipe the foil moved down and I was having that exact noise but at ALL RPM's. The foil was touching the downpipe. Try and move it up a little bit, away from the cat and the stock downpipe probably. See if that fixes anything. Like I said, I don't have that problem anymore.

mscm888

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, Have any of you tried playing with the foil heat shield? When I installed my downpipe the foil moved down and I was having that exact noise but at ALL RPM's. The foil was touching the downpipe. Try and move it up a little bit, away from the cat and the stock downpipe probably. See if that fixes anything. Like I said, I don't have that problem anymore.

I started noticing a "rattle" noise after my intake and stage 1 flash. I can repeat it consistently. The noise as far as I can tell comes in the 2kish to 3kish range when shifting gears. If I shift it with the RPM's up high I don't notice it. Is this the same thing everyone is reporting or should I be worried about something else being wrong with my car? I don't want to start bugging the dealer about it and have them get on me about my instake.

kungfudill

Ready to race!
I've had my rattle since the beginning-- that rattle w/ acceleration from 2k-3k rpms.
Today I had an autotech motormount installed, stage 2 intake, and a RSB. And lo and behold-- the rattle has been reduced.
I think it is the motormount that is responsible, though i am not mechanical enough to support my guess with sound reasoning Now my rattle IS NOT GONE, but I absolutely noticed the same common rattle was less noticeable, immediately after these goodies were installed.
Just food for thought... especially for some of you mechanical types that may be able to devise a permanent fix...

bmanMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I've also had this rattle since almost the beginning (May 31, 2010). I've got about 4000 miles now and it is still rattling strong!
I have a service appt tomorrow where they are going to look at this (along with a number of other nitpicky issues).
Wish me luck!

jerm

Ready to race!
chapusin: in your video it sounds very rattlesnake-like :)

kungfudill: it makes sense that the motor mount would stabilize the engine more and prevent/minimize the successive movement.

I have just over 500 miles on my 2011, and the rattle is there every so often. It seems to be noticeable when in 5th or 6th gear and throttling around 2-3k RPM (like everyone else states). Though, it doesn't seem to happen all the time during those conditions. Personally, I don't think it's that loud and I really hear the engine/turbo over that rattle.

bmanMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't yet heard back on my GTI that I left at the dealer this morning (but did get a CC loaner, which is a pretty decent ride, if a bit soft).
However, when I discussed it with the service advisor, he said "I've never heard of anyone with this issue". So, I'm not too confident...

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't yet heard back on my GTI that I left at the dealer this morning (but did get a CC loaner, which is a pretty decent ride, if a bit soft).
However, when I discussed it with the service advisor, he said "I've never heard of anyone with this issue". So, I'm not too confident...

Is that CC 2.0 TSI? If so try and reproduce the sound with it. Should be there as well.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Update:

Like I said on my previous posts, I don't have this issue anymore.

Regarding the autotech engine mount post, I have used it and it didn't reduce it at all. This was back when I had the issue.

If you have read my posts, you will see that when I put my aftermarket downpipe, the sound became more apparent and at audible at all rpms not just that certain range.

I moved the heat shield foil away from the downpipe and that fixed the problem. No more sound. That made me think the problem could be the foil but could also be the mesh on the stock downpipe but there was no way to find out for sure.

Definitely not the wastegate since with the aftermarket downpipe the sound was gone.

Now pay attention, now that I took back my stock downpipe, I still don't hear the rattling noise!

Conclusion: I really think the foil was causing the noise, at 2000-3000 rpms the engine is at a lot of stress and it's when it vibrates the most at mid throttle (I can say this because at this range is when I was getting dash rattles/vibrations with my aftermarket dp). If there's something hitting the foil you will get a rattling rocks in a can/crunching foil with your hand type of sound for sure. Again, I have the stock downpipe again, same wastegate and I don't hear this rattling noise that used to drive me insane before.

Hope this is useful.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Update:

Like I said on my previous posts, I don't have this issue anymore.

Regarding the autotech engine mount post, I have used it and it didn't reduce it at all. This was back when I had the issue.

If you have read my posts, you will see that when I put my aftermarket downpipe, the sound became more apparent and at audible at all rpms not just that certain range.

I moved the heat shield foil away from the downpipe and that fixed the problem. No more sound. That made me think the problem could be the foil but could also be the mesh on the stock downpipe but there was no way to find out for sure.

Definitely not the wastegate since with the aftermarket downpipe the sound was gone.

Now pay attention, now that I took back my stock downpipe, I still don't hear the rattling noise!

Conclusion: I really think the foil was causing the noise, at 2000-3000 rpms the engine is at a lot of stress and it's when it vibrates the most at mid throttle (I can say this because at this range is when I was getting dash rattles/vibrations with my aftermarket dp). If there's something hitting the foil you will get a rattling rocks in a can/crunching foil with your hand type of sound for sure. Again, I have the stock downpipe again, same wastegate and I don't hear this rattling noise that used to drive me insane before.

Hope this is useful.

I wonder if it has nothing to do with the downpipe/wastegate anything at all... maybe it is just the heat shield foil rattling against the underbody of the car. When you pushed it away from the dp, was yours actually making contact with it or was it just close?

zorq

Ready to race!
could someone take a picture of the heal shield foil installed under the car? maybe we can all try moving it a little bit to see if it fixes the problem?

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if it has nothing to do with the downpipe/wastegate anything at all... maybe it is just the heat shield foil rattling against the underbody of the car. When you pushed it away from the dp, was yours actually making contact with it or was it just close?

My aftermarket dp was, so i just pushed the foil up.

P

plac

could someone take a picture of the heal shield foil installed under the car? maybe we can all try moving it a little bit to see if it fixes the problem?

dood, if it was a foil issue this would have been fixed 4 years ago with the 2006 threads..