GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cranks, turns over, no start. No EPC or CEL lights.

zrickety

The Fixer
Had an intermittent no start condition today. Seems like the ECU/PCM wasn't getting power, I had other lights but no EPC or CEL came on. Cranks fine and wouldn't start. After 5 or 6 key on, key off attempts they lit up and it started. Drove fine, made it home and it restarts without issue. Before I dig into schematics, has anyone come across this? Probably a relay? @jay745 is this what your car was doing?

zrickety

The Fixer
Ok thanks. I was able to somewhat reproduce this issue by pulling one of the relays under the hood (2nd one on the right labeled '100').
Part number 7M0951253A, can be had as generic Meyle 1148300000 from FCPeuro or Bosch from ECS $15.
Edit- there are 3 relays involved with the ECM power supply, at least on my car, 2 of them under the dash. Getting all of these as I'm at 190k miles.
7M0951253A ('100' J271)
1K0951253A ('460' J681)
141951253B ('53' J682)

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
A scan revealed P068A (relay performance).
Updated last post with more relays, codes, part numbers.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Had a car that you had to cycle the key 4-5 times because the fuel pump was weak and couldn’t prime the car after sitting for a while.

zrickety

The Fixer
New relays came from ECS. 5 of them shipped in 3 different boxes, they must have money to burn. Ordered extra for spares and the free shipping.
Upper relay under the dash seemed loose (53), possible this was the one. Of course the car has started every time in the driveway while I waited for these, but now I have peace of mind.