GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Help

Ok I am having issues with the install. I have the new bracket but am having a hard time getting it to fit onto the OEM window button. I have been able to file a very small amount away for it to fit onto it but I am no where close to getting the tabs to slide under the button. If I slide the mirror on it as it sits I can't tighten the screw on the adapter or the mirror to make anything tight. I think I need to slide it down but it is not working. Here is a picture of where it sits now.

everything else has gone according to plan and I will give a review and some points when i can get past this point.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
It's supposed to be tight. You don't slide it on by hand. You slide it on by tightening the set screw that you see sticking out in the bottom of your picture. The set screw will force it onto the button.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Ok I am having issues with the install. I have the new bracket but am having a hard time getting it to fit onto the OEM window button. I have been able to file a very small amount away for it to fit onto it but I am no where close to getting the tabs to slide under the button. If I slide the mirror on it as it sits I can't tighten the screw on the adapter or the mirror to make anything tight. I think I need to slide it down but it is not working. Here is a picture of where it sits now.

everything else has gone according to plan and I will give a review and some points when i can get past this point.

It's supposed to be tight. You don't slide it on by hand. You slide it on by tightening the set screw that you see sticking out in the bottom of your picture. The set screw will force it onto the button.

Also, you don't say if you installed the brass plug when you tried to tighten the mirror down, did you? Once you tighten the set screw, install the brass plug in the hole in the window button and install the mirror and tighten the mirror screw. I just re-installed mine this weekend and although it was right there was no need to take a file to anything.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Don't need the plug with the new bracket. I verified it, and took mine out.

nt5k1

Just did this tonight with the set from the 'American Security' people. Was a little slow going but it's on tight with power going to the homelink, etc.
Thanks for the write-up and pics!

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Thanks for the help. I was able to get it on but it required a lot more effort than I think is necessary. A few points that have changed from the original DIY (thanks to JB). As other have mentioned, the new adapter does not require the brass insert anymore. I confirmed this when I talked to Bill from American Security Co. He said they were trying to simplify the install and too many people were losing the insert. I have to give a major shout out to him. Not only did he try to help with the install (on a Saturday) he sent me another adapter for free to see if the new one would fit better but also a Napa generic mount if the new adapter didn't work also. I am sending him my "extra" adapter and we are going to see if this is a production anomaly or something has changed with my `13 GTI versus `12 but both of them had the same issue for me. He seemed genuinely concerned and wanted to help which is refreshing to see in a modern business.

My issue was, as mentioned, I had to really force the adapter over the OEM button and then it would not slide down under the button tabs. I ended up using a file to widen the hole and reduce the tab width. Even then I ended up using a rubber mallet to gently beat it into place. If it ever needs to come off I am screwed.

Overall I am happy, the mirror seems to be securely in place and the mirror works as advertised.

nt5k1

How far in does that bottom 'screw' have to go in? My mirror is kinda shaky. Are you supposed to screw the mirrow in really good? (trying not to break anything as I tend to over tighten things) (I have the 'new' adapter just ordered this week)

DaLurker1

I did this on my '08 GTI (MKV) and I bent the old adapter all out of shape because I kept tightening the screw to prevent vibrations. Now it seems they have a new adapter, apart from getting it from MITO any other options? not really keen on spending $50 to fix some vibrations.

Also if I were to buy just the adapter, where would I go to do that? don't see it for sale on any sites.

Thanks!

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to order my Auto Dimming Mirror w/ garage door opener Within the next week or so. Which one of the 2 from American Security Company should I get?
http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Gente..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1345507662&sr=1-2
or
http://www.amazon.com/GENTEX-GENK41...2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1345507662&sr=1-12

Is their any advantage to the Pro Harness? Thanks In advance :D

Yea, I'd like to know if the GENK21A model Gentex will work out of the box? What other crap will we need to order in addition to what's on Amazon for example?
http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK21...e=UTF8&qid=1346292213&sr=8-1&keywords=GENK21A

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know where I can find the connectors for splicing the power that the kit comes with? I emailed American security and they don't have them. Any help is appreciated.

Apexeater

Ready to race!
Does anyone know where I can find the connectors for splicing the power that the kit comes with? I emailed American security and they don't have them. Any help is appreciated.

Home depot, Lowes, Ace hardware or any decent size hardware store will have them.