GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
I managed to get the mirror powered and it operates my garage door, but for whatever reason, it doesn't power on or off. I took this out of another car, hence the ability to power the garage door, but the on off switch doesn't work (no green light). So all I have is the blinking red light when I hold down the homelink #1 for the garage. No compass shows up so I'm assuming no auto dim feature either.

Any help?

Thanks

jnj2455

Ready to race!
For those who have done this already- how hard was it to shove the power wire into the headliner?

And I want just an auto dimming mirror- no homelink, no compass, etc. I assume that means I'll only have to thread 1 power and 1 ground cable through the headliner?

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
For those who have done this already- how hard was it to shove the power wire into the headliner?

And I want just an auto dimming mirror- no homelink, no compass, etc. I assume that means I'll only have to thread 1 power and 1 ground cable through the headliner?

it depends on where you are grounding and getting your power from. If you follow the lead here and power it in the headliner, you will only have 1 wire to shove through to power the mirror. It is a huge PITA, but use a hanger to pry the metal edging down and make your life easier. :thumbup:

flyboy320

Passed Driver's Ed

Mine only took about 2min. to fish through. I just gently pulled part of the liner down (where it meets the window) and pushed the wire through no problem.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
it depends on where you are grounding and getting your power from. If you follow the lead here and power it in the headliner, you will only have 1 wire to shove through to power the mirror. It is a huge PITA, but use a hanger to pry the metal edging down and make your life easier. :thumbup:

Oh? Maybe I'm miss understanding the first page. I thought it was like a small harness that connects to the back of the mirror and from that is a + and - wire (2) that you push into the headliner and get power from the illuminated entry (blue) harness and then just ground it properly somewhere.

Mine only took about 2min. to fish through. I just gently pulled part of the liner down (where it meets the window) and pushed the wire through no problem.

Awesome. Is it relatively visible once the wire is into the headliner? Like I've pushed wires through stuff before and sometimes it gets easily caught and kinks up and I have to pull it out and redo it.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Oh? Maybe I'm miss understanding the first page. I thought it was like a small harness that connects to the back of the mirror and from that is a + and - wire (2) that you push into the headliner and get power from the illuminated entry (blue) harness and then just ground it properly somewhere.

Nope, you've got it. It sounded like you may be fishing the power and ground down to the fuse box, so I wasnt sure. Its not too hard. Take your time....

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Nope, you've got it. It sounded like you may be fishing the power and ground down to the fuse box, so I wasnt sure. Its not too hard. Take your time....

Awesome.

I wanted this simple one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VWQDOW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm hoping they send out the new and improved machined mount that was posted a few pages back. Everything just slides on from what I've gathered right?

My windshield shattered about a year ago and I would be in deep shit with the rents if I broke the windshield during this installation and had to get it replaced again. Insurance doesn't cover cracked windshields/stupidity. :p

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Awesome.

I wanted this simple one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VWQDOW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm hoping they send out the new and improved machined mount that was posted a few pages back. Everything just slides on from what I've gathered right?

My windshield shattered about a year ago and I would be in deep shit with the rents if I broke the windshield during this installation and had to get it replaced again. Insurance doesn't cover cracked windshields/stupidity. :p

Follow my removal procedure and you should be OK. No guarantees if you have gorilla brute strength. And the new mirror does slide on. It does not turn/snap/lock on like the OEM one (which is what causes most windshields to break).

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Follow my removal procedure and you should be OK. No guarantees if you have gorilla brute strength. And the new mirror does slide on. It does not turn/snap/lock on like the OEM one (which is what causes most windshields to break).

Yah I've twisted off the mirror mount before and I was nervous as hell about applying too much of a moment and just shattering the glass. Happy to hear that you can just slide on the mirror on the new machined part.

CharT99

I also recently attempted to install the kit ordered off Amazon from American Security. Ran into a few snags with the "new" mounting adapter not fitting. The adapter opening is machined to 18mm width, but the mirror mount button on my new Golf R is over 18.1mm width. I sent them photos and measurements and they sent me a replacement adapter which had exactly the same problem as the old. :iono:

Something like this really shouldn't be difficult to engineer if they ever bothered to test fit their products. Did anyone else have this problem with the "new" adapter?

You can see the adapter won't slip over the OEM mirror mount:

Because the adapter opening is 18mm wide:

OEM mirror mount is over 18.1mm wide:

On a separate note, here's how I wired my mirror and tested it to work with ignition switched power. Too bad I couldn't install the mirror after all that.

I used a mini Add-a-fuse from my local autoparts store and soldered it to both Homelink and auto-dimming power wires:

67Scarelane

Ready to race!
Sorry to resurrect this thread (which has LOTS of great information), but I received a 50-GENK40A mirror for Christmas and the wiring kit included does not match the OPs "simple" kit. Mine has a couple of fuses which I'm assuming will be difficult to put up in the headliner?? It's really only made up of 3 wires and seems like it would be simple to shorten if necessary.

Has anyone used the kit like I have pictured below?

I'm about the dumbest person on earth when it comes to any sort of wiring. :D

Happy Holidays!

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to resurrect this thread (which has LOTS of great information), but I received a 50-GENK40A mirror for Christmas and the wiring kit included does not match the OPs "simple" kit. Mine has a couple of fuses which I'm assuming will be difficult to put up in the headliner?? It's really only made up of 3 wires and seems like it would be simple to shorten if necessary.

Has anyone used the kit like I have pictured below?

I'm about the dumbest person on earth when it comes to any sort of wiring. :D

Happy Holidays!

Actually, it looks like all you will need to snake through the headliner is the shorter black wire. It plugs into the back of the mirror and, if I see this correctly, plugs into the other wires via the white connector. And there really is a lot of room up in the headliner. Its been a while since I did this but I think you will be OK.

67Scarelane

Ready to race!
Actually, it looks like all you will need to snake through the headliner is the shorter black wire. It plugs into the back of the mirror and, if I see this correctly, plugs into the other wires via the white connector. And there really is a lot of room up in the headliner. Its been a while since I did this but I think you will be OK.

Thanks much! Will give it a try tomorrow.

:w00t: