GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Cabin Pollen Filter Replacement

Jemin_G

Go Kart Newbie
DIY for cabin filter replacement in 2011 GTI. Other Golf models / years may also apply.

VW recommended service interval every 20,000 miles or 2 years.

I change mine once a year (it gets kinda nasty).

Tools Needed: 2 X Hands

Parts: VW Cabin Filter 1K1819653B or Mann CUK2939

Step 1:

Underneath your passenger side dash, you will notice 2 x plastic twist screws. Use your fingers to remove them counter-clockwise.

Step 2:

With the screws removed you can now remove the carpet material surrounding the vent holes. There are no clips or anything. The carpet is just tucked in beneath the plastic panels. Pull from the front. Remove the whole carpet panel. It's bout the size of a rectangular dinner plate.

Step 3:

It's important you fully remove the carpet panel or you will not have enough room. You will see a rectangular plastic box in the upper left side. Slide the lid on the bottom to the right. You can use the rectangular holes on the bottom of the lid to latch your fingers and pull right.

Step 4:

Once you pull all the way to the right, you should be able to pull the lid down and off. Notice the L shaped clips. They fit into the slots in the bottom of the paper filter.

Step 5:

Pull the filter straight down. Be gentle. You may have to push the trim on the sides to clear any obstructions. There will be some leaves and shit in the filter, so watch your face.

It may look clean, but it has about a 1-2mm layer of crap in all the crevices. This is after 15K miles.

Step 6:

Grab your new filter. The orientation should be like shown. The slanted end is on the upper right when you face it. Slide it back into the slot carefully.

Step 7:

Align the lid clips with the filter slots. Push up all the way, and slide it to the left to lock.

Step 8:

Tuck in the carpet panel. Then re-install the plastic screws by turning clockwise. You're done!

Now I purchased the generic Mann filter from Amazon for $11.36 shipped. That's what ECS charges for shipping. If you're worried about it being cheaper quality, don't. They are exactly the same. The stock one is also made by Mann.

Picture of the original filter:

That's it. Hope you enjoyed. :)

Appreciate the post! Helpful indeed.:w00t:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Last edited:

yunone

Ready to race!
I just changed my MANN pollen filter and used one of their FreciousPlus filters, it appears to be very good and seams to stop ANY outside smells entering the cabin,

https://www.frecious-plus.com/en

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/...e Motion CAYC (T94180)/Cabin Filter/FP 2939~1

EDIT: just noticed the date of the thread! Oops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up on the frecious filter. I ordered one earlier today based on your RECO, looking forward to FRECh air :)