GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY FRONT SPLITTER

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all ! I was looking for a front lip/splitter to put under the front bumper of my 2012 GTI , I found a few I liked but the prices seemed a little to high for my budget so I decided to try & make it myself ... I had a piece of plexi-glass from an old sign that I used for my project , first I traced a pattern on a piece of cardboard & then I used that to mark out the cut on my plexi-glass , I made holes in the plexi-glass that would line up with the holes under my bumper so if remove it later I won't have to buy a new plastic piece underneath ...
I would like your opinion : should I paint it all black or cover it with a carbon fiber looking wrap ?
thank's for helping out ...

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 781

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Looks good :thumbup: How thick is the acrylic? What's it look like from down low, directly from the front? I'm wondering what the gap looks like where the OEM spoiler usually goes.

i'd wrap it... but I am wrap-happy
I agree. It will be easy, cheap, and non-permanent. For what it's worth, if you want to go CF here's some pics of my black GTI with carbon fiber OEM-style lip so you can see how it contrasts with the black. In my opinion the glossiness of the CF helps it blend in very nicely (it is subtle) with deep black pearl paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20161208_165555.jpg
    IMG_20161208_165555.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_20161208_165612.jpg
    IMG_20161208_165612.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 359

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks good :thumbup: How thick is the acrylic? What's it look like from down low, directly from the front? I'm wondering what the gap looks like where the OEM spoiler usually goes.

here is a picture from down low , the plexi glass is 1/4 inch thick

Attachments

• IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 427

ahard48

Ready to race!
I like it. I vote wrap as well. Will look sharp. What did/are you using for braces where OEM usually goes??

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
I like it. I vote wrap as well. Will look sharp. What did/are you using for braces where OEM usually goes??

I used some bolts/nuts & made some plastic spacers for the middle section

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 339

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Very nice man!! Looks great!

For more of that DIY feel...perhaps a parts list and where you purchased the materials?

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
Very nice man!! Looks great!

For more of that DIY feel...perhaps a parts list and where you purchased the materials?

thank's everyone for the feedback/compliments , I can't tell you where you can buy the parts to make your own cause I had everything lying around in my garage but I will take pictures of all the separate parts before final installation..

Based on your feedback I am gonna wrap it with the carbon fibre look , I think that it will also resist to chipping better then paint would .

ahard48

Ready to race!
thank's everyone for the feedback/compliments , I can't tell you where you can buy the parts to make your own cause I had everything lying around in my garage but I will take pictures of all the separate parts before final installation..

Based on your feedback I am gonna wrap it with the carbon fibre look , I think that it will also resist to chipping better then paint would .

Definitely had some good stuff laying around. Worked pretty damn well for some DIY free time.

zrickety

The Fixer
Nice job. Whatever is down there will get scratched. I would do gloss or semi gloss black and call it a day, but I like paint.

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice job. Whatever is down there will get scratched. I would do gloss or semi gloss black and call it a day, but I like paint.

Thank's for the compliment...
The main reason for this project is to protect the bumper from any damage when parking ... I just had it repainted cause the previous owner had scraped the lower RH side & I am debating getting it covered with some 3M clear tape before it gets any stone chips .

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
DIY FRONT splitter

I finally received the Carbon fiber tape to wrap my homemade Lip/splitter
it wasn't as easy as I believed it would to get it all finished , but I am glad with the result ...

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 338

Maxwell506

What material did you use? I want to do this exact same thing! I love the look of the spacers and such and if you could give me a guide it would be ideal.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I finally received the Carbon fiber tape to wrap my homemade Lip/splitter
it wasn't as easy as I believed it would to get it all finished , but I am glad with the result ...

where in the Maple Leaf are you? Consider doing this for locals to you? It looks really well done and stands out IMHO. I'd pay for that look on my CW for sure