GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY/Review/Comparo: Sub-$1k OEM bi-xenon headlamp upgrade

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Just a quick question, do anyone notice when you go over some bumps the projector shakes a little? or is it just me?

qbansir

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine shake just a tad. Also on the the freeways, but I'm on air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sskamboj

Ready to race!
It could be a problem with how the bulb is seated. I believe the OP also had this flickering issue and it turned out to be a faulty housing. Am I correct with that information?

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
It could be a problem with how the bulb is seated. I believe the OP also had this flickering issue and it turned out to be a faulty housing. Am I correct with that information?
hmm my bulb holder or the projector will shakes a little if I move the bulb by hand. I wonder is it because of the AFS motor not being used? :iono:

zsm722

Ready to race!
hmm my bulb holder or the projector will shakes a little if I move the bulb by hand. I wonder is it because of the AFS motor not being used? :iono:

Not normal

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Just a quick question, do anyone notice when you go over some bumps the projector shakes a little? or is it just me?

Yes, my reps would do that. I noticed it right away but I had gotten used to it and forgotten about it over time. The OEM projectors are dead solid, though.

No it's not normal. The AFS and auto-leveling motors use plastic worm gears and the way the projector assembly is mounted to them leaves zero wiggle room for this kind of bouncing.

A few posts above I quoted a post I wrote in my build thread about how my OEM projector assembly wasn't fully attached to the housing. There are many mounting points in there. My guess is that your projector assembly has popped out of one of those. Probably the one on the bottom, in which a metal ring slides onto a white plastic clip that sits on a ball. It doesn't seem all that robust IMO.

Edit: Yeah, post #30 in this thread, pictures 1 and 2. That white clip doesn't have a ton of holding power. In any case, you're going to need to take the housing out and inspect the mechanism for a long time to figure out where the give is coming from. Look for a long time, then make the change. Don't go making brash decisions due to impatience. I almost drilled a hole and zip-tied things before I found out that the thing just slipped off it's mounts.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Yes, my reps would do that. I noticed it right away but I had gotten used to it and forgotten about it over time. The OEM projectors are dead solid, though.

No it's not normal. The AFS and auto-leveling motors use plastic worm gears and the way the projector assembly is mounted to them leaves zero wiggle room for this kind of bouncing.

A few posts above I quoted a post I wrote in my build thread about how my OEM projector assembly wasn't fully attached to the housing. There are many mounting points in there. My guess is that your projector assembly has popped out of one of those. Probably the one on the bottom, in which a metal ring slides onto a white plastic clip that sits on a ball. It doesn't seem all that robust IMO.

Edit: Yeah, post #30 in this thread, pictures 1 and 2. That white clip doesn't have a ton of holding power. In any case, you're going to need to take the housing out and inspect the mechanism for a long time to figure out where the give is coming from. Look for a long time, then make the change. Don't go making brash decisions due to impatience. I almost drilled a hole and zip-tied things before I found out that the thing just slipped off it's mounts.

So I went out and took a video of it. The projector only shakes from left to right, but just a very very tiny amount. When you go over some little bumps you can see the lights kind of shakes again just a little bit.

I bought the housing from different seller so I don't think is the housings problem. Also I don't think I can adjust horizontal on both housing... I wonder if this cause the vibration?

Last, damn these lights output are just ok, the cutoff is not as good as I thought they would be... Lol

https://vimeo.com/106696201

sskamboj

Ready to race!
So I just did my retrofit today and don't have high beams. I have a CECM ending in 086 so I'm not too worried about it. However, I have a question. It's coded for bi-xenon on byte 14 and 17 correctly, but since I used the ECS harness, it looks like there's an existing wire in pin 11 on the xenon side. Can I use the pin on the end to put it in pin 8 on the halogen side or do I need an actual vw trigger wire? Link below for reference. Any and all help appreciated.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Lighting/Headlights/Wiring_Kit/ES2551019/

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
So I just did my retrofit today and don't have high beams. I have a CECM ending in 086 so I'm not too worried about it. However, I have a question. It's coded for bi-xenon on byte 14 and 17 correctly, but since I used the ECS harness, it looks like there's an existing wire in pin 11 on the xenon side. Can I use the pin on the end to put it in pin 8 on the halogen side or do I need an actual vw trigger wire? Link below for reference. Any and all help appreciated.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Lighting/Headlights/Wiring_Kit/ES2551019/

It's looks like you should be good. That wire is supposed to go to the high line CECM. But all u need to do is plug into the 8 pin.
I think you should be fine. Just follow my steps and vagcom :thumbsup:

sskamboj

Ready to race!
Sweet. I was asking my friend who helped me and he said we should just need to push that pin into slot 8 and code and call it a day. Let's hope it works.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
So I went out and took a video of it. The projector only shakes from left to right, but just a very very tiny amount. When you go over some little bumps you can see the lights kind of shakes again just a little bit.

I bought the housing from different seller so I don't think is the housings problem. Also I don't think I can adjust horizontal on both housing... I wonder if this cause the vibration?

Last, damn these lights output are just ok, the cutoff is not as good as I thought they would be... Lol

https://vimeo.com/106696201

That's not a lot of movement. It's enough to bounce around when you hit a bump?

Regarding the cutoffs, yeah they're not the best. The light is well distributed, though. The reps have awesome cutoffs but the light is only directed in front of you so you can't see what's off to the side very well. Such as deer or children.

I ended up with 10-12 pin adapters. Shit man after waiting months too.

Just re-pin. Cheaper and easy.

butchered by autocorrecr