GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update

zrickety

The Fixer
It's acceptable to make your own marks with a paint pen if you're just changing the tensioner.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Gonna do this over the weekend, but is there any easy way to get the car timed perfectly? Or should I not have to worry about it other than lining up crank pulley with mark on cover... Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you're just replacing the tensioner then you don't have to worry about the marking. The crank pulley is keyed so you cant mess it up. See below. There are a lot of good tips in this thread, read the whole thing!

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
I was just thinking if the chain has slipped only to a point that doesn't cause damage but is still out of time, will I have to make any adjustments? The car sounds like crap. Just has me worried. Thanks for the quick replies I'll re read this before I go at it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Bumping this just to help raise tensioner awareness. Used this thread to do mine today and it helped a lot. It's really not hard to do if you have the right tools. Also I used the crank spacer tool with the crank bolt and that does add some piece of mind, the gear is just held in place by chain tension once the harmonic dampener is off.

Also very glad I bought a new cover and the VW silicone. Can not do the job without a way to seal it back up and I destroyed my old cover getting it off lol.

Edit: All the sound I was hearing is now gone, car seems to run better (that's probably placebo effect) and I'm not worried my motor is going to grenade every time I start and drive my car.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Bumping this just to help raise tensioner awareness. Used this thread to do mine today and it helped a lot. It's really not hard to do if you have the right tools. Also I used the crank spacer tool with the crank bolt and that does add some piece of mind, the gear is just held in place by chain tension once the harmonic dampener is off.

Also very glad I bought a new cover and the VW silicone. Can not do the job without a way to seal it back up and I destroyed my old cover getting it off lol.

Edit: All the sound I was hearing is now gone, car seems to run better (that's probably placebo effect) and I'm not worried my motor is going to grenade every time I start and drive my car.

:thumbsup:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I just want to throw this out there I purchased this tool last week right now it is sitting in my basement in its un-opened box.

I am going to do the timing chain tensioner Job this week and after I am done with it I will pass it on to the next person who needs it.

I can save everyone the trouble on this, when I purchased its a silly process.

When I purchased it it cost $41.00 but they do not include shipping or tax on the, a few days later I got 2 charges on my account for this item one for $57 and one for $55, 4 days later after everything cleared the ends price was $55 and the $57 was put back into my account.

Being that I will only use this one time after I am done with it I will sell this for exactly how much I payed for it $55 shipped to your house. I don't want to make any money on this and I would rather not loose anything I just want to pass the tool along and I would say the next person who gets it do the same.

Let me know if any one is interested I will make sure to post it on here when I have the payment from that person. As it stands right now I will have it shipped out either Sat or Mon.

Hey how did you make out after the install? Any tips? Notes other than what's stated in this thread? Thanks bro.

Driftin

Hi Everyone - thanks for all the input on the MK6 tension mechanism. My new to me 2011 GTI with a low 43k miles looks to be needing this update. Does anyone have the two tools needed T10355a and T10368 for sale? I thought to ask before I order new.