GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you think my car is totaled?

fastandfurious

Ready to race!

He's right, you can't sue for your injuries here. Governement pays for it and we pay an insurance for that on our car every year.

He has a replacement value for his car, if only 2015 VW GTI are available, they will pay him the price of the 2015 edition.

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
No it isn't. 14 years in the business on the insurance end and now back in the shop.

They are very few things that happen to our cars that are "automatic" total losses.

Here's the list

Flood (this depends on height of water and type; salt, fresh, sewage, ect)
Total burn
Rollover

That's it folks, that's the things that will "automatically" total a car. Everything else is the matter of cost to repair vs. Actual Cash Value deducted for Salvage Value.

Frames can be repaired and sectioned/replaced, some harder than others (aluminium, ect) but OEM procedures for these exist and are done....commonly.

I always smile when people get all twisted up about their car. "Oh god, that metal is bent, it's totalled!!!"

These cars do not fall out of a giant VW queen intact. Cars are pieced together with welds, glue, foam, and rivets at the factory. True, in the shop after they are assembled some things are harder or take longer to do but it's still just putting a jigsaw puzzle together, same as they did at the factory.

OP

Guessing based on photos is always that, a guess, but looks bad with both bags deployed, those alone are probably close to $3000 (too lazy to look them up right now and price in Canada would vary anyway LOL). Most important thing is your wife is ok, cars can be fixed or replaced, people are different entirely.

As for the "no fault" thing up there, and new cars, that's ridiculous.....why aren't Canadians plowing into trees every few years to get brand new cars? LOL That's a crazy insurance system. :lol:

Hehe, you could be very surprised what some people are doing to scrap their car in Québec ;)

About the flood, as soon the water reaches inside the cabin of the car, it's an automatic total loss in Quebec, even if the car is still working.

cobie56

Ready to race!
Where did this happen? Our Québec roads are so in good shape I hope that wasnt the reason... ;o)

Good luck! L'important c'est que rien de grave ne soit arrivé à personne.

oui,, d'accord, exactament...c'est bien que ton epouse va bien.

and yeah,, the roads truly suck.....more maintenance is def needed...but as those of us there know,, corruption abounds so not much will improve in the short run.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
And frame damage is usually a flag for a total loss (not always though) here in the states, not anywhere else.

Did you read my post? LOL

No it isn't. We repair frames every single day, from minor straightening to full rail replacements.

About the flood, as soon the water reaches inside the cabin of the car, it's an automatic total loss in Quebec, even if the car is still working.

Interesting. Here it differs. If it's fresh water and just soaks the carpet, as long as the cash value allows, repairs are attempted. Salt water with electrics under the carpet, pretty much a goner yeah. But other wise, water has to hit significant components. Airbags in seats are a near instant total as it's a safety issue, have to replace the entire airbag systems and wiring if salt water hits them. So generally water has to get at least the seats with side bags, or into the dash without to get an instant gonner here. not that they don't eventually total them after repairs and cleaning have been attempted when it's lower, but it's not an instant write off.

As for what people will do to write off their cars, trust me, nothing surprises me anymore. Been in this business way to long. Did you know there's a way to set fire to your car with potato chips?

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
So as the chance that it is totaled is rather high from what I red. Anyway, if it's not, they are not allowed to repair anything, they must replace anything broken by genuine vw parts. So worst case, the car should be better than it was.

Last edited:

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
Did you read my post? LOL

No it isn't. We repair frames every single day, from minor straightening to full rail replacements.

Interesting. Here it differs. If it's fresh water and just soaks the carpet, as long as the cash value allows, repairs are attempted. Salt water with electrics under the carpet, pretty much a goner yeah. But other wise, water has to hit significant components. Airbags in seats are a near instant total as it's a safety issue, have to replace the entire airbag systems and wiring if salt water hits them. So generally water has to get at least the seats with side bags, or into the dash without to get an instant gonner here. not that they don't eventually total them after repairs and cleaning have been attempted when it's lower, but it's not an instant write off.

As for what people will do to write off their cars, trust me, nothing surprises me anymore. Been in this business way to long. Did you know there's a way to set fire to your car with potato chips?

LOL, usually they pay someone 500$ to scrap their car or to set it in fire.

The reason they scrap it as soon it reaches inside the cabin is because the high risk of long term issues with the car. Cars being full of electric gadget today, it can be a pain in the ass to repair them.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Any idea how much it can cost to replace the dashboard on a gti, must be freaking expensive.

I was in an accident that caused both air bags to deploy

One of the airbags: $818.42
The other: $1023.70
Both of the buckles must be replaced: $114.24/ea
Both seat belts must be replaced: 1@$372.17 & 1@$313.27
Dashboard: $1195.06
Headlamp: $680.09ea
Fog Lights: $135.66ea

There are a bunch of modules that come with these parts that range from $200-$400

Your car is totaled.

All prices above are genuine VW parts in CAD.

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
I was in an accident that caused both air bags to deploy

One of the airbags: $818.42
The other: $1023.70
Both of the buckles must be replaced: $114.24/ea
Both seat belts must be replaced: 1@$372.17 & 1@$313.27
Dashboard: $1195.06
Headlamp: $680.09ea
Fog Lights: $135.66ea

There are a bunch of modules that come with these parts that range from $200-$400

Your car is totaled.

All prices above are genuine VW parts in CAD.

That's not including labor correct?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Just out of curiosity. If the car is write off as a total loss and OP doesn't want to get a replacement VW, will the insurance pay to get a different car of similar pricing??

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
Just out of curiosity. If the car is write off as a total loss and OP doesn't want to get a replacement VW, will the insurance pay to get a different car of similar pricing??

They will verify how much it cost OTD to buy a similary equipped brand new one and send me a check for that. I can then buy watever I want.

Since my 2012 gti is paid for, I will have a 2015 car debt free.