GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Doing a clutch by myself and need help

DomBomb1121

... k I know it isn't a smart idea but if I were to get a strut bar and turnbuckle do you think I could use that as an engine support bar? Also how many of you have done a clutch swap without a lift? Is it worth it to try to find a lift?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Get an engine brace so you can lower the engine easily to help get the transmission off and on. I used a HF one and it was great. I’m sure you could use a 4x4 and some straps but for how much the engine brace cost with a coupon why.

Don’t need a lift. Just get it as high as you can on jack stands. I have never worked with a lift but I’m sure it’s better.

You can kinda see here how high I have the car. This gave me enough room to have the transmission on a jack and be Able to roll it in and out. I could also sit up in the engine bay while doing the RMS and clutch work

5FB1A912-B0D9-46E4-BDC4-B7E1679568DB.png

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
You'll still need a way to support the engine side after you unbolt the trans so you will need a support bar or some type of floor jack under it. A floor jack is going to get in your way, having the engine supported from the top is ideal. If you're using one of those strut braces make sure you can lower the engine in order to get the trans to clear the subframe.

It's worth asking around if you can borrow someones lift though. An extra set of hands too would really help.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have done this job by myself with a harbor freight trans jack and a floor jack. It sucked! Took me 4 hours as I was in a big hurry. I had just put motor and trans in and realized I out the disk in backwards so I had to pull it real quick.
The hardest part was getting it lined back up with the output shaft.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I have done this job by myself with a harbor freight trans jack and a floor jack. It sucked! Took me 4 hours as I was in a big hurry. I had just put motor and trans in and realized I out the disk in backwards so I had to pull it real quick.
The hardest part was getting it lined back up with the output shaft.
I've done them a few times by myself and it does suck. I don't even try with those trans jacks anymore, it's a rough 10 minutes but I find it much easier to put the trans on your chest and bench press it up to mate with the engine. By yourself it's sketchy though, holding it against the engine while you desperately try to thread in the bottom bolts so you can get up top and finish.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Just like everyone else said....Invest in an engine support bar, it is absolutely necessary. No lift needed. Drain trans and remove axle flanges for sure. Do the iABED RMS. Hit the gym so you can bench press that sucker back into place (and do all the rotating as necessary to clear the subframe). It's a pain, but totally doable.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
I've never drained the trans to remove it, that's just adding more work for yourself. The passenger side axle flange has to come out, leave the drivers side in.
Depending on the mileage of the vehicle it may be due for a trans fluid service.....

torga

Autocross Champion
How do you get the axle flanges back in by yourself? This is the holdup for me. I don't have friends.
You don't need anyone to get the axle flanges back in. They have return springs, so just apply inward pressure while you get the screw started.

MKVInnie

Passed Driver's Ed
You don't need anyone to get the axle flanges back in. They have return springs, so just apply inward pressure while you get the screw started.
I appreciate that, ups the confidence, however I've been pushing hard with one hand on the middle of it and trying to tighten with the other, kinda like shooting pool but I just can't get it. Are there any tips to get leverage or a good technique?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I appreciate that, ups the confidence, however I've been pushing hard with one hand on the middle of it and trying to tighten with the other, kinda like shooting pool but I just can't get it. Are there any tips to get leverage or a good technique?

It should pop right in. I didn’t have any issues doing them on my own. I got under the car and did it I think.

MKVInnie

Passed Driver's Ed
It should pop right in. I didn’t have any issues doing them on my own. I got under the car and did it I think.
You're right, this morning I applied a little bit of oil on rim of the seal and it was cake. The socket I was using might not have gone in far enough because the part that holds the hex is too wide, although it's what I used to get it out. Thanks for the response. In the end, I guess I did get help ;)

MKVInnie

Passed Driver's Ed
I wanna put it out for the future, you can push the drivers side in by hand for sure, it shouldn't be a fight and the bolt will catch right away. If you're spinning and spinning your socket it's not happening. A little bit of oil on the seal is recommend. For the passenger side it's doable but needs a bit more force and is very awkward to keep constant pressure on it while getting the bolt in. I took the heat shield off ( 2 bolts ) and used a crowbar against that very convenient notch in the exhaust to make life easier and maintain sanity. It doesn't hurt anything. You got this.

Attachments

• IMG_4940.jpeg
    IMG_4940.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
Last edited: