GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don Nguyen | My Porsche 911 V8 Build

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Oh yeah this should be a build thread! Will be crazy at the end. Are you putting the LS In the front or the rear? Its a heavy ass engine and will surely throw off the balance by alot

LS1 is not a heavy engine. ~430 lbs vs the porsche engine at 370lbs. Not minding the double hp tq and the fact that the weight distribution is already 65% rear even stock.

Tech72

Ready to race!
Kudos to you on your endeavour. A very bold project, total respect once completed. But any concerns about having a heavier engine slung behind the rear axle? Adds to the pendulum effect on the 964. Not to mention even more power. Your 964 will be sort of like a 930 Turbo (sans t-lag) in its widowmaker days. Big power + short wheelbase + rear biased weight = the slightest of errors in high-speed cornering could mean you wouldn’t get a chance to try again.

PS: To see a perfectly decent 964 being torn to pieces hurts a little. Hope the end justifies the means.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
Looks like a fun build! Are you using the renegade hybrids kit or making your own? And are you going to put the radiator up front or mount it in the rear decklid?

Don Nguyen

Go Kart Champion
My own kit. I don't like the way the engine is mounted with the Renegade kit. All of the other parts are source able that's supplied in their kit.

Completely took the dash apart/out and removed some more of the sound deadening/padding. I am going to try and remove as much as I can before relaying new padding down.

Not sure what would work best, so I'll take any suggestions if anyone has any experience with this. I've read/heard that closed cell foam padding was a good option.

Pile of misc parts and wires that were removed.

One of the other reasons why I wanted to go through the whole car, which was to find any rust spots that would be developing such as what I found here around the rear quarter windows.

Not sure if this was like this from the factory, but it seems like someone's removed these before and used 3M double sided tape to put these trim pieces back on. With older cars, you never know where someone before you could gone/been through before. I will most likely be using the 993 window seal for the rear quarter windows, which will delete the need for that trim piece that was removed.

I originally thought that I wanted to run 993 door panels, so I bought a set with the hi-fi sound package in them. However, I may end up just reupholstering the original 964 door panels and using those. I kind of like the pattern that's on the 964 door panels. We will see. If I do run the 993 door panels, I won't be using the hi-fi speakers, so I can get the small door pockets back

Random shots of the engine bay and car as it sits now.

-Don

Don Nguyen

Go Kart Champion
Here's a picture that I pulled off of my instagram, @don__nguyen with double underscores in between the name, for those that use it and if you want to follow me for miscellaneous updates. Sometimes I don't get around to posting all of my updates/pictures on the forums, since it's easier for to just upload directly to a source such as instagram.

Bought a used short block, so naturally I had to take it all apart to check and make sure everything was ok. I am going to go ahead and get the cylinders bored out slightly bigger, oversized forged pistons to match the new bore of the block/cylinder once it gets machine, get the crank cleaned up and get new bearings (con rod, cam, and mains).

-Don

Don Nguyen

Go Kart Champion
Did not really get any further progress on the Porsche this weekend. Instead, I chose to autocross my E70 X5 with the BMW CCA group. Gotta make sure all of the tools in the shed are sharp. There were a total of 13 cars in my class, I came in 5th. Got beat by three turbo charged 135//335s by about a second and lost out to first place (2013 335i) by 3.5 seconds on a ~60-65 seconds length course.

Here's a video of my run. The video was kind of quickly put together. It's been a long while since I last did any sort of video editing. It was also my first time using my new gopro hero 3s to shoot video with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-iB3-uhyXI

That's not to say I don't have any pictures of my Porsche that I can't share with you guys though. Nothing special, but at least it gives you something to look at.

This picture is from at least 4 years ago when I was first test fitting wheels on my widebody E36 M3 and for fun I put the wheel next to my Porsche to see what it would look like.

Here's a more recent picture of a different, but similarly sized wheel on my Porsche, to gauge roughly how far out my flares are going to have to be.

-Don