GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

F23T Technical Info Compilation Thread

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Ceramic-Coated Turbine/Manifold

its a $150 upgrade. Do you guys think its worth it. Its not a lot of money in reality but i wanted everyone opinions and maybe we could help people making the decision to order if they want to do it. What would the main benefits of the Coating be?

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion

its a $150 upgrade. Do you guys think its worth it. Its not a lot of money in reality but i wanted everyone opinions and maybe we could help people making the decision to order if they want to do it. What would the main benefits of the Coating be?

Of course it helps with heat, but I had read on here somewhere that it's not much.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion

I did it mostly because of resale value, if I ever sell it mine SHOULD look much better than any turbo that has been run and not coated. It's also nice to have done on vehicles where the turbo can be seen when the hood is popped. You can search and find data supporting the temp properties and others that negate it. If you can afford it I say do it but I can see putting that $150 into tune or even install if you aren't comfortable or equipped to do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I did it mostly because of resale value, if I ever sell it mine SHOULD look much better than any turbo that has been run and not coated. It's also nice to have done on vehicles where the turbo can be seen when the hood is popped. You can search and find data supporting the temp properties and others that negate it. If you can afford it I say do it but I can see putting that $150 into tune or even install if you aren't comfortable or equipped to do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makes sense. I got a rough labor price from a shop in Orlando back when i was contemplating k04 he said $450 in labor. So im judging between 400-600 in labor. It will still come up less than a APR k04 kit after labor.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
makes sense. I got a rough labor price from a shop in Orlando back when i was contemplating k04 he said $450 in labor. So im judging between 400-600 in labor. It will still come up less than a APR k04 kit after labor.

Should come out about 500+ less, I was quoted 2600 or so on an Apr "free" install a long time ago. IMO the f23 is the best way to go.

which shop in orlando? Out of curiosity.

Also folks @ St.Augustine VW are really good with pricing labor fee's. I have a quote from them for both a K04 and F23 install

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So I've pulled the IHI and done the bench work and a few things aren't adding up to me.

1. I don't see a need for the IE block off plate is this specific to the CBFA vehicles?

2. The large clamps for the crank case breather also seems to be unnecessary for the CCTA install

3. The coolant ports (using grambles install instructions btw) there are additional ports on the K04/F23 the top side plug matched grambles instructions the bottom does not. My assumption is that I should move the bottom side plug to match but I can believe that Doug ships these ready to go sine he ships them with n75 and DV installed...

4. The thicker washer for the coolant hose in the APR kit doesn't exist in the F23 kit. Should I pick up a thicker washer?

Please chime in if you have any experience!

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So got the answer on the block off plate can't believe I missed it lol

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Bought everything directly from Frankenturbo. Just finished up the first drive. Will be providing details in my build thread tonight.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
which shop in orlando? Out of curiosity.

Also folks @ St.Augustine VW are really good with pricing labor fee's. I have a quote from them for both a K04 and F23 install

Sorry it took so long to reply.

FS tuning.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So to answer my questions above based on my install experience
1. Yes you need the block off plate it goes just below the inlet for the intake as pictured in a previous post
2. The large breather clamps were not used on my CCTA TSI. It may be needed for an FSI or CBFA TSI install.
3. The ports should be plugged as shown in grambles write up.
4. I still don't know the answer to this but I did use a thicker washer as there isn't any negative impacts I could come up with from doing it and I felt it was worth while not to have to worry about proper coolant flow.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
Nice Mike, the pipe from the TOP to the IC is a custom hard pipe? Is the red silicone just going over the TOP where that crappy vw spring clamp went?, or something else?